5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

All things Firearms thread

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
27185723_1.jpg

Finding one without the safety is the trick. I let a polish TT-33 slip past me to a friend who got it for $200.

SGMBailey

Reaction score
My Marlin 30-30 lever has a scope on it dialed in at 500 feet. I can keep a 6-inch pattern as long as I am properly stabilized.

My Henry's are all with the factory iron sights (also large loop levers) so accuracy is shorter range but they are carbines. I typically shoot 100 to 150 feet with the .44 mag and .357 Henrys and hold a nice pattern. The Henry .22 large loop lever I run at 50 feet and it holds a nice pattern.

My .223 seems to have an accuracy issue that I don't understand. I've taken it to the range and had a couple of different range officers give it a try and they didn't understand it either. I'm thinking after a few rounds, the barrel heats up causing the issue. May be time for a new one before the loonies ban them.

It could be just me but once you run a Henry lever action, you can't go back to a Marlin or Winchester. The Henry's are just that smooth and now that they offer side loading in addition to tube loading, the only reason not to get a Henry is that they are next to impossible to find.
Very first thing to do is make sure your ammo is correct to the barrel twist rate. Believe it or not. it can make a difference.
Dark green is ideal, yellow and red you need to change.
1656269242903.png

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
The chart above does have merit. Although a very popular round is 55gr and while it may be ideal at a 1 in 12 twist for 20 inches, it really limits you. A 1 in 9 will be a little more universal. If you are match shooting, it is a different ball game. I think we are not talking that here as he is shooting a .22 carbine at 50 feet too.

The chart does not point out the obvious that I stated before. 5.56 vs. .223. If shooting a 5.56 from a .223 barrel, accuracy will suffer. That would be my first check.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My Marlin 30-30 lever has a scope on it dialed in at 500 feet. I can keep a 6-inch pattern as long as I am properly stabilized.

My Henry's are all with the factory iron sights (also large loop levers) so accuracy is shorter range but they are carbines. I typically shoot 100 to 150 feet with the .44 mag and .357 Henrys and hold a nice pattern. The Henry .22 large loop lever I run at 50 feet and it holds a nice pattern.

My .223 seems to have an accuracy issue that I don't understand. I've taken it to the range and had a couple of different range officers give it a try and they didn't understand it either. I'm thinking after a few rounds, the barrel heats up causing the issue. May be time for a new one before the loonies ban them.

It could be just me but once you run a Henry lever action, you can't go back to a Marlin or Winchester. The Henry's are just that smooth and now that they offer side loading in addition to tube loading, the only reason not to get a Henry is that they are next to impossible to find.
Does your inaccurate AR15 have a scope on it?
I have had a good amount of scope failures in my lifetime. A few being knocked off zero, measured in feet. And several that were not repeatable (all over the place), and one that was an obvious failure with canted crosshairs. So, if you do have a scope on it, try a different one. I do have strong opinions on scope manufacturers, but that is for another discussion maybe. It sounds like you just plink with iron sights though.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
I have had a good amount of scope failures in my lifetime. A few being knocked off zero, measured in feet. And several that were not repeatable (all over the place), and one that was an obvious failure with canted crosshairs. So, if you do have a scope on it, try a different one. I do have strong opinions on scope manufacturers, but that is for another discussion maybe. It sounds like you just plink with iron sights though.
If you started a scope thread it may be contentious as many have widely varying opinions on them, but I would like it. I would love to hear your opinions as well as others to help me learn more. One thing I have learned is that you can spend more on a scope than a rifle. Much of that can depend on its intended use too.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you started a scope thread it may be contentious as many have widely varying opinions on them, but I would like it. I would love to hear your opinions as well as others to help me learn more. One thing I have learned is that you can spend more on a scope than a rifle. Much of that can depend on its intended use too.
vtx_flag_decal_horizontal.jpg

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you want to start a new thread on rifle scopes, I will comment more, and I would like to hear different opinions on them also.
Mr. SnowBLaZR2 is not going to like that most of my failures have been with Vortex scopes, from inexpensive to very expensive. Just my experience. I know that unlike anything else, once you no longer have confidence in a gun or scope, they are worthless.

n8zcc

Reaction score
I screwed up, it wasn't my AR15, it was my Mini 14 that had the drifting accuracy issue. I sold that rifle a while back. My AR is just fine. Sorry for the error.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
308, 300 or 223? I love my remi 710 30-06. Holds 1" @200yrd with 185gr. I have not adjusted the scope since 2006. Most consistent and durable I have ever seen. I did 'float' it right after first time firing it.
What are you doing posting while on vacation…

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
308, 300 or 223? I love my remi 710 30-06. Holds 1" @200yrd with 185gr. I have not adjusted the scope since 2006. Most consistent and durable I have ever seen. I did 'float' it right after first time firing it.
Sorry, 308WIN

Also, technically not "bone stock." It is threaded for a silencer. AAC 762-SDN-6 receently converted by ECCO machine to hub mount and running DA Xeno on all my long guns.

The 700P LTR is mounted in an HS precision stock so it is "bedded." It's a 20" fluted police sniper rifle. Mine predates the 5R barrels.

Users who are viewing this thread