5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AlfaOBD

Csjumper2003

Reaction score
Damn. I assumed that I could reach this setting with one of them. Probably should of done a little more research. I can change start/stop but not afm.

anyone got a pulsar at a decent price? Hit me up

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Damn. I assumed that I could reach this setting with one of them. Probably should of done a little more research. I can change start/stop but not afm.

anyone got a pulsar at a decent price? Hit me up
What is afm? Are you talking about MDS?

Csjumper2003

Reaction score
Yeah active fuel management. Mds. It’s all the same. Turning a truck into a car. Afm is what it was called on my Sierra I had

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here are the PDF instructions, posted for convienience.
It's a bit contradictory, do I start the vehicle and go to the Media screen and leave it running, plug in the USB and follow the prompts from there or do I turn it to run but not start and go to Media screen then once it begins update I start the engine? See bold below.

Step 11 Go to media screen

CAUTION! Make sure no other device is plugged into any of the USB ports while performing
this reprogram.
If other devices are connected to USB ports during
reprogramming,
it may cause failure of files to be loaded which may cause the
radio to need replacement.

12. Start the vehicle and put the correct USB flash drive into the USB port.

13. Press Update Now. The timer screen will be displayed for 2 minutes. After 2 minutes the radio
will reset and the update will start

NOTE: During the software update the backup camera, radio, SOS and several driving
assistance features will be unavailable.
NOTE: Once the update has started the vehicle can be started so the battery doesn’t run
low.

Attachments

• 08-009-19.pdf
    171.6 KB · Views: 88

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Here are the PDF instructions, posted for convienience.
It's a bit contradictory, do I start the vehicle and go to the Media screen and leave it running, plug in the USB and follow the prompts from there or do I turn it to run but not start and go to Media screen then once it begins update I start the engine? See bold below.

Step 11 Go to media screen

CAUTION! Make sure no other device is plugged into any of the USB ports while performing
this reprogram.
If other devices are connected to USB ports during
reprogramming,
it may cause failure of files to be loaded which may cause the
radio to need replacement.

12. Start the vehicle and put the correct USB flash drive into the USB port.

13. Press Update Now. The timer screen will be displayed for 2 minutes. After 2 minutes the radio
will reset and the update will start

NOTE: During the software update the backup camera, radio, SOS and several driving
assistance features will be unavailable.
NOTE: Once the update has started the vehicle can be started so the battery doesn’t run
low.
From what I read, and it is confusing, you have the ignition in Run, but engine off. Because later on it says after update starts you can start the engine to avoid running the battery down

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
I did mine with the vehicle running the entire time.
The instructions included with the update indicated to do it that way.

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
From what I read, and it is confusing, you have the ignition in Run, but engine off. Because later on it says after update starts you can start the engine to avoid running the battery down
Step 12 says to start the vehicle though...It's clear as mud to follow.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Step 12 says to start the vehicle though...It's clear as mud to follow.
It will work no matter how you want to do it- engine running the entire time, acc, run but not started, etc. It’s entirely up to you, but it will work either way.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Start over and re-format the drive. The two that I highlighted do not go on the usb. In the original location that you have the unzipped file in the middle, open that folder, and only move the file folder that says VP4R to the usb drive. View attachment 119146
After following your instructions, the software update screen popped up right away. The software is updating as I post this. The instructions state that you should do an ECU reset twice. Is that necessary? If so, how is that accomplished?
20220201_161834.jpg

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm working on formatting my flash drive right now to start this.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
I'm working on formatting my flash drive right now to start this.
Super easy after I deleted everything but the VP4R file. It took 23 minutes total to install. I just put my ignition into ACC after the download started. No need to run the engine.

vincentw56

Reaction score
After following your instructions, the software update screen popped up right away. The software is updating as I post this. The instructions state that you should do an ECU reset twice. Is that necessary? If so, how is that accomplished?
View attachment 119276
That's only if you want changes to show right away. Otherwise, you might have to wait a few hours for everything to show back up. Similar to if you disconnect the battery. I didn't do it and everything works fine.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
That's only if you want changes to show right away. Otherwise, you might have to wait a few hours for everything to show back up. Similar to if you disconnect the battery. I didn't do it and everything works fine.
Thanks. I just enabled the performance and off-road pages with AlfaOBD. I'll check my truck in about an hour to see if the pages are available.

Do you know if the performance and off-road pages are available for the 8.4" screen?

vincentw56

Reaction score
Thanks. I just enabled the performance and off-road pages with AlfaOBD. I'll check my truck in about an hour to see if the pages are available.

Do you know if the performance and off-road pages are available for the 8.4" screen?
I do not know on that. I have a 12".

Valkyrie

Reaction score
Alright been doing quite a bit of reading on AlfaOBD, and about one click away from ordering the stuff to do it, but the one thing I’m interested in is the one thing I can’t find any info on. I have a 2019 bighorn level 2, 8.4 non nav and want to change the theme on the cluster like the 12 inch or 8.4 nav guys can. Anyone done this with success?

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If/when I do the PR39 update, will I lose changes already made with Alfa in my current version like DRL location, Tire Programing for diameter etc, and have to redo all the changes again, or does it carry over and remain in the new update?

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is on my list to do! I looked around the house last night for over an hour for any of my spare flash drives and apparently they all grew legs and ran off lol. Guess I'll be stopping at a store on the way home from work this evening to grab one. Looking forward to enabling the performance pages.

vincentw56

Reaction score
If/when I do the PR39 update, will I lose changes already made with Alfa in my current version like DRL location, Tire Programing for diameter etc, and have to redo all the changes again, or does it carry over and remain in the new update?
You won't lose settings in the BCM.

Users who are viewing this thread