5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AlfaOBD

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Do I need the bypass cable if I only want to use a bluetooth scan tool and a phone app to check/clear codes? I do not plan on using AlfaOBD.
If all you want to do is check and clear codes, why would you spend $50 on AlfaOBD when there are cheaper or free apps that can do that.

U

User_63152

If all you want to do is check and clear codes, why would you spend $50 on AlfaOBD when there are cheaper or free apps that can do that.
I didn't. I was just asking about an OBD2 scan tool and if I needed a bypass cable or not. I might buy AlfaOBD later.

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I purchased the Alfa OBD PC version software yesterday, I already had the OBDLink MX+, and should have the SGW gateway bypass cable next Tuesday. From reading this entire thread, watching a few vids, fiddling with the software, and establishing the connection without the SGW bypass cable, I now have the confidence I'll be able to do the things I want to do with the software to my truck. The PC version to Android version dot-connecting was a bit to overcome, most on here and elsewhere have the Android, so when things get asked or shown in a vid, that is typically what you will see. If others need assistance with the PC version, I may be able to assist there.

One thing I haven't yet figured out is the ABS Initialization process with the PC version that may be needed when doing "Program Tire Size" using the circumference method. I have read on here that if you pick from the prefilled sizes that the ABS Initialization process will not be needed to be performed (correct?), and looking at the menu, I can decipher a size that is within a 1/4" of mine so I will try that first and see what happens. But in case I need to perform the ABS Initialization, can someone point me in the right direction for the PC version?

Also would like to pay it forward here and if anyone in my area wants anything done, and can figure out how/what/where, or if I already know or have figured it out myself, I'll be happy to assist you...thinking tailgate ajar warning, which is the MAIN reason I got this and learned the software in the first place.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I may be overestimating the power of AlfaOBD, but could it remap my key fob to change the tailgate open button to deploy the side steps? I can't see ever needing to use the fob to open the tailgate, but I disabled the side steps auto-open because it was deploying even when I was just putting something in the rear floorboard and didn't need it. I can see much more use in being able to deploy them for my wife as we're walking towards the car in the parking lot.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I may be overestimating the power of AlfaOBD, but could it remap my key fob to change the tailgate open button to deploy the side steps? I can't see ever needing to use the fob to open the tailgate, but I disabled the side steps auto-open because it was deploying even when I was just putting something in the rear floorboard and didn't need it. I can see much more use in being able to deploy them for my wife as we're walking towards the car in the parking lot.
No, it can't do that.

MrDazana

Reaction score
I purchased the Alfa OBD PC version software yesterday, I already had the OBDLink MX+, and should have the SGW gateway bypass cable next Tuesday. From reading this entire thread, watching a few vids, fiddling with the software, and establishing the connection without the SGW bypass cable, I now have the confidence I'll be able to do the things I want to do with the software to my truck. The PC version to Android version dot-connecting was a bit to overcome, most on here and elsewhere have the Android, so when things get asked or shown in a vid, that is typically what you will see. If others need assistance with the PC version, I may be able to assist there.

One thing I haven't yet figured out is the ABS Initialization process with the PC version that may be needed when doing "Program Tire Size" using the circumference method. I have read on here that if you pick from the prefilled sizes that the ABS Initialization process will not be needed to be performed (correct?), and looking at the menu, I can decipher a size that is within a 1/4" of mine so I will try that first and see what happens. But in case I need to perform the ABS Initialization, can someone point me in the right direction for the PC version?

Also would like to pay it forward here and if anyone in my area wants anything done, and can figure out how/what/where, or if I already know or have figured it out myself, I'll be happy to assist you...thinking tailgate ajar warning, which is the MAIN reason I got this and learned the software in the first place.
I found that playing with mine, you can't go higher than than 2700 for the program tire size without freaking out the park sensors. I set to diffrent sizes and eventually settled to 2648 and I didn't have to reset the ECU or ABS during my multiple programs.

MrDazana

Reaction score
Did you try any of the prefilled sizes on the list?
yes i did. that was the first one I tried toyo 35x12.5x18 and had no issues. But I was .5 km off so my compulsive disorder kicked in and said I can do better lol. So i started playing around with the settings. Never once had issues. except when I went higher 2700.

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yokohama Geolandar M/T 285/55R22, spec/rated at 34.8 diameter but mounted and with wear they are just over 34" diameter right now @ 864mm diameter x 3.14 = 2713mm circ. (2712.96mm to be exact)
35's would be 2791.46mm circumference. I guess the prefilled ones don't have the 2770 threshold issue??

MrDazana

Reaction score
Yokohama Geolandar M/T 285/55R22, spec/rated at 34.8 diameter but mounted and with wear they are just over 34" diameter right now @ 864mm diameter x 3.14 = 2713mm circ. (2712.96mm to be exact)
35's would be 2791.46mm circumference. I guess the prefilled ones don't have the 2770 threshold issue??
I can;t remeber the toyo size but I think it was somewhere in the 2675 area. I settles to 2645 with my ko 2s to match speedo and gps

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
CBC Features-DRL Dropout Enabled: No
Does anyone know what that means exactly?
That means that the corresponding DRL lamp will not shut off while the turn signal is being used.

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
10/4, thanks. trying to figure out how to keep my DRL on with headlights on, don't yet see a way to do that, any ideas? Europe mode? Right now I have DRL's set to turn signals.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
10/4, thanks. trying to figure out how to keep my DRL on with headlights on, don't yet see a way to do that, any ideas? Europe mode? Right now I have DRL's set to turn signals.
Can’t be done via programming. The DRL strategy turns off when the headlights come on, and that can’t be changed. You would need to feed the turn signal circuit with the parking light circuit with a diode, and use a switchback module so the turn signal can blink “on-off-on-off” when used.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The DRL uses the headlight bulbs. Unless you configure it to use another light for DRLs. Not sure what you are thinking about wanting DRL in with headlight. The LEDs around the headlights are not DRLs.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The DRL uses the headlight bulbs. Unless you configure it to use another light for DRLs. Not sure what you are thinking about wanting DRL in with headlight. The LEDs around the headlights are not DRLs.
He has his DRLs set as the amber turn signals. His signature says he’s got a sport, so I’m guessing it’s got the LED reflector headlamps, and wants the amber turn signal strip across the bottom of the white parking lamp strip to remain lit when the headlights are on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/