5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AlfaOBD

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone figured out a way to eliminate MDS with alphaobd?
I know the +/- will keep it off, but it would be nice not have to mess with it at all.
Not possible. AlfaOBD can’t change engine parameters.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've tried various settings, like enabling "sport", and eco mode default to "off" at key on, etc, and none have had an effect disabled MDS.

Diablosport and HP-Tuners can turn it off in the PCM, but this will required you to swap your PCM with a modified PCM that will allow you to write to it. The 2015+ PCM's are locked and cannot be written to. Both HP-Tuners and Diablo offer a mail in PCM exchange modification service.

I used diablo in the past to turn off MDS, as I can't stand when it kicks on an off. I know some people dont care and dont get it, but its just not for me. I going to be doing hp tuners soon so I can mess with some other stuff too that diablo doesn't do. But as of now, those are you two real options.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think TazerDT might turn it off. It's an active interface compared to the passive one that AlfaOBD is.

You can also activate tow/haul mode. I think that disables MDS as well.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
taser can "remember" if tow / haul was on last ignition cycle and put it back on for you, but taser can't disable MDS on its own

jabowles82

Reaction score
I was hoping someone had found something that I haven't. You can change max gear, but can't keep it in -8.
If I go the pcm route, I'll just use hp tuners.

ccjbmjo

Reaction score
Has anyone been able to enable remote tailgate release with ALPHAOBD? I have the damper installed just wondering if it can be enabled and accessed through the Uconnect screen

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone been able to enable remote tailgate release with ALPHAOBD? I have the damper installed just wondering if it can be enabled and accessed through the Uconnect screen
It’s not a setting in the BCM, so it’s not there to enable. However, remote tailgate release is already active in your rf hub, just waiting for the command from the button on the fob. All you have to do is buy a fob that has the remote tailgate release button, have the dealer program it, and it will just work.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It’s not a setting in the BCM, so it’s not there to enable. However, remote tailgate release is already active in your rf hub, just waiting for the command from the button on the fob. All you have to do is buy a fob that has the remote tailgate release button, have the dealer program it, and it will just work.

To clarify (which is rarely if ever needed on a Jimmy07 post), you only ask that the FOBIK be programmed to the vehicle. The dealer will get confused at the mere mention of remote tailgate. Just make sure it all works before you leave the dealer.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
To clarify (which is rarely if ever needed on a Jimmy07 post), you only ask that the FOBIK be programmed to the vehicle. The dealer will get confused at the mere mention of remote tailgate. Just make sure it all works before you leave the dealer.
Holy ****, you're towing a boat behind the camper??? I've seen small cars being towed, but never a boat...Crazy:cool:

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Holy ****, you're towing a boat behind the camper??? I've seen small cars being towed, but never a boat...Crazy:cool:

My setup is short @ cough cough, 75' compared to a few others running toyhaulers or dropframe widebody RV's and big ski boats... Guy local to me pulling a solitude and 23' boat is probably @almost 90'. My little SeaDoo boat is just under 4K geared and fueled up. I'm just shy of 25K GCWR.

Been doing it 16 years now.

Sushiyummy

Reaction score
I have alfaobd, and most options work, even though you have to pick 17 model year. Anything in the BCM seems to work. I think thats where you enable the factory brake control outputs, etc.

You should be able to use it to enable brake control. The developer, Alec, is very responsive, you should ask him.
Please educate me, what is BCM mean?
Thanks

jjminch

Reaction score
Hello all,

I need to add a OEM trailer brake controller and a How To on this forum lead me to this thread and software.

I also somehow lost my key fob mowing the lawn. Days spend metal detecting to no avail.
Can this be used to program a new fob, since dealer quotes are pretty up there?

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hello all,

I need to add a OEM trailer brake controller and a How To on this forum lead me to this thread and software.

I also somehow lost my key fob mowing the lawn. Days spend metal detecting to no avail.
Can this be used to program a new fob, since dealer quotes are pretty up there?
Currently, alfaobd isn’t able to do fobs on 5th gens. The option is there, but it doesn’t work. And you need the rolling pin code.

Raydar

Reaction score
Wow! Lots of info since I last posted here, after activating my trailer brake controller and security alarm. Lots of reading to "catch up".
A couple of quick questions....
The new version of AlfaOBD... will my Android device automatically update it, if it's internet capable? If not, is it a "seamless" update off of the AlfaOBD site?
Have the bugs been fixed yet? (I don't want to eff up my trailer brake controller.)

I saw the "drop fog light" disable setting (or whatever the terminology is), but is it possible to set the fogs to function as DRLs, or to switch on independently of the headlights, just using the foglight switch?

Thanks all.
Hope everyone has a better new year, than last.

Users who are viewing this thread