5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AlfaOBD

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Are we talking about just the bypass cable? I wouldn't mind leaving the cable plugged in, but I noticed the BT OBDII Reader powered up right away as soon as I plugged it in with the vehicle OFF. That would drain the battery correct? Reason I'm asking is because it was a pain to unplug the bypass cable. It was very tight.
I don't think the OBDII reader will drain the battery. The power consumption is very low, unless you leave it plugged in for 3 to 4 weeks without driving the truck.

Nstoolman1

Reaction score
Is there a possibility of someone hacking into the truck with the OBD2 module still in?
My computer fu is not great. With all the talk of auto thefts why give someone the chance.
Just a thought.

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is there a possibility of someone hacking into the truck with the OBD2 module still in?
My computer fu is not great. With all the talk of auto thefts why give someone the chance.
Just a thought.
I don't think there is a possibility for someone to get into your BCM/ECU. If it's just an OBDII reader, there is no communication to the reader, unless the truck is in the RUN position. If you have the security bypass cable and the reader plugged into the bypass cable, then yes, you can program the BCU without being the run position.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Just a thought.
If it's a bluetooth adaptor sure very easy. They all have the default pin if anything and when you shut off your truck the can network stays active for a bit.

Leave the bypass connected, remove the odb2 device and plug it in when you need it.

That said if someone was going to steal your truck it doesn't matter because they know what they are doing. Assuming they even need a bypass (which they don't because they will use the same tool as the dealership) they would of just brought one with them.

Murphy5156

Reaction score
One thing I’ve noticed as I’ve started using AlfaOBD to change some settings on my truck…each time I use the software the next time I start my truck the “Navigation Turn-by-Turn Displayed in Cluster” setting on my UConnect 5 system is always back “ON” and I have to turn it “OFF”…then if a use AlfaOBD again invariably that one setting is always back on and I have to turn it off again. Not a big deal by any means but just something I’ve noticed.

Jack.

Reaction score
Hey guys, I remember i saw there was a guide on how to enable the performance and offroad pages on your uconnect 12 4c system using alfaobds. Does anyone know where that tread or what page its on if its on this tread? I had it save on a notepad but i think i accidently deleted it and now cant seem to find it.

DusterJoe

Reaction score
Ok went through most of this thread and I'm very new to AlfaOBD and modifying computers.

I've got the by pass and bluetooth MX+ module and have an Android tablet and will be purchasing AlfaOBD very soon. What are the steps I need to take before I change anything. I'm pretty sure I can connect the bluetooth and get AlfaOBD running. But I've read about doing a backup? Is that something AlfaOBD prompts you to do? Set me straight before I modify the tailgate ajar function(hardware already installed) and the factory bed light kit (waiting on one light).

Thank you to those who respond.

DusterJoe

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ok went through most of this thread and I'm very new to AlfaOBD and modifying computers.

I've got the by pass and bluetooth MX+ module and have an Android tablet and will be purchasing AlfaOBD very soon. What are the steps I need to take before I change anything. I'm pretty sure I can connect the bluetooth and get AlfaOBD running. But I've read about doing a backup? Is that something AlfaOBD prompts you to do? Set me straight before I modify the tailgate ajar function(hardware already installed) and the factory bed light kit (waiting on one light).

Thank you to those who respond.

DusterJoe
Honestly, as long as your aren't playing around changing things that aren't part of the instructions for doing tailgate ajar, and adding factory bed lighting. There shouldn't be any issues. Also, don't go in afraid of it. Be confident with what you need to do. I've used alfaObd a few times to make a few changes, even played around with some settings, just to see what they did, and have not had any issues. And never did a factory back up. I wouldn't recommend that. It's far easier to recover from an failed change if you have a back up.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yes you should get a backup file and a log of "before" settings using the read status ID.

There are at least one setting (heated wheel) change that cannot be undone without the backup file restore or some voodoo from the resident tier 1 expert operator.

1683606025441.png

Trexmx77

Reaction score
Okay so I need some help and assistance with my alphaOBD. Applogize ahead of time for the long post but I will try to explain in detail my issue. I wanted to adjust for the correct tire size and wanted to try adding the OffRoad Pages just to try it out. I have 2021 1500 Limited. I've been doing lots of research and like others finally decided to get the required tools (SGW Bypass Cable, OBDLink MX+, AlphaOBD app, Samsung Galaxy A7 Tablet) to make some changes. New to Samsung/android but picked this up just for this.

So, after getting everything together and following the steps i've seen provided, I got stuck with what I thought was most important part, which was not being able to make a backup or output any files. I can connect to the Body Computer and read system ID, and Read System Status, but when i go to Tools, if I select View Faults and Status Log, nothing happens, If i select Upload to Google Drive, I can sign into my Google Drive, but again, when I select Upload Faults and Status Log, I get a pop up at the bottom that just says "no data". I just saw the previous post by Brutal_HO and tried doing the same, Backup Vehicle Configuration to file, and again it does nothing. I hit start and wait and nothing ever happens. No errors or messages just nothing. I have tired with the truck off, ACC, and Run but same results?

Now the weird part, It obviously reads the data and I can see it when i read system ID but it wont output anything file wise. I get no errors other than the "no data" when I try to upload anything to Google Drive.

So after several attempts just to get an output file had failed, I decided to see if it would let me make any changes to see if anything worked, and sure enough everything connected and went fine. I followed the provided instructions for adjusting tire size, I was able to adjust for the correct tire size with zero issues. I was even able to get the OffRoad Pages added. So i know it's somewhat working and communicating, but why can i not output a file or a backup configuration? I feel I am missing something easy or have a setting on my device not set correct, but i was out of ideas and figured I'd post here and see if any other have experienced this or could maybe point me in the right direction? Even after making the changes mentioned above (tire diameter and OffRoad Pages) I am still unable to output any files?

I thank you in advance for any help.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Okay so I need some help and assistance with my alphaOBD. Applogize ahead of time for the long post but I will try to explain in detail my issue. I wanted to adjust for the correct tire size and wanted to try adding the OffRoad Pages just to try it out. I have 2021 1500 Limited. I've been doing lots of research and like others finally decided to get the required tools (SGW Bypass Cable, OBDLink MX+, AlphaOBD app, Samsung Galaxy A7 Tablet) to make some changes. New to Samsung/android but picked this up just for this.

So, after getting everything together and following the steps i've seen provided, I got stuck with what I thought was most important part, which was not being able to make a backup or output any files. I can connect to the Body Computer and read system ID, and Read System Status, but when i go to Tools, if I select View Faults and Status Log, nothing happens, If i select Upload to Google Drive, I can sign into my Google Drive, but again, when I select Upload Faults and Status Log, I get a pop up at the bottom that just says "no data". I just saw the previous post by Brutal_HO and tried doing the same, Backup Vehicle Configuration to file, and again it does nothing. I hit start and wait and nothing ever happens. No errors or messages just nothing. I have tired with the truck off, ACC, and Run but same results?

Now the weird part, It obviously reads the data and I can see it when i read system ID but it wont output anything file wise. I get no errors other than the "no data" when I try to upload anything to Google Drive.

So after several attempts just to get an output file had failed, I decided to see if it would let me make any changes to see if anything worked, and sure enough everything connected and went fine. I followed the provided instructions for adjusting tire size, I was able to adjust for the correct tire size with zero issues. I was even able to get the OffRoad Pages added. So i know it's somewhat working and communicating, but why can i not output a file or a backup configuration? I feel I am missing something easy or have a setting on my device not set correct, but i was out of ideas and figured I'd post here and see if any other have experienced this or could maybe point me in the right direction? Even after making the changes mentioned above (tire diameter and OffRoad Pages) I am still unable to output any files?

I thank you in advance for any help.
You need to give the app permissions.
Long press on the app go into the app settings (not the app) and allow it file access.

Should look something like this.
Screenshot_20230509-234342406 (1).jpg Screenshot_20230509-234421181 (1).jpg Screenshot_20230509-234504487 (1).jpg
Screenshot_20230509-234520195 (1).jpg Screenshot_20230509-234822266 (1).jpg

Trexmx77

Reaction score
Thank you for the prompt response and seems to make sense to me that would be the case. However I am unable to give the app the permissions it needs. I will continue to work on this and if I get alpha OBD the access to the files and media then I will try again.
Thank you Darksteel165 for your prompt response.

DusterJoe

Reaction score
I purchased AlfaOBD on the google play store and it downloaded. Now the app it telling me I don't have it purchased. Say to verify the internet connection. Does anyone know if Google Play Store takes time for the license to be approved? I assumed it'd be instant with paying via credit card.

Thanks,

DusterJoe

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I purchased AlfaOBD on the google play store and it downloaded. Now the app it telling me I don't have it purchased. Say to verify the internet connection. Does anyone know if Google Play Store takes time for the license to be approved? I assumed it'd be instant with paying via credit card.

Thanks,

DusterJoe
Should be instant.
Maybe try to reboot your phone, or remove it and re-install it.

seansmd

Reaction score
Also quick observations for new user.....

The cables to connect to the "red" bypass are way back up there :) couple scraped knuckles.

Easy to connect and reprogram

Set tire size for Toyo ATIII 285/55r22, which had a circumference that I found online of 2740, tweaked down to 2680 to get it dialed in. Each time was easy but after cycling power off and restarting ACC was disabled and collision warning came on, a couple of power cycles and this stopped each time. I did go from power on to drive pretty quickly so it is possible that the boot up test sequence hadn't completed.

Question, I have heard that folks leave the bypass and MX+ connect all the time, would love confirmation on this? If you do remove to the plugs need to be re-connected to the sockets up behind the dash?

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hey guys, I remember i saw there was a guide on how to enable the performance and offroad pages on your uconnect 12 4c system using alfaobds. Does anyone know where that tread or what page its on if its on this tread? I had it save on a notepad but i think i accidently deleted it and now cant seem to find it.

Start here. If you keep reading a few pages beyond that point, it should give you enough info to get the job done.

seansmd

Reaction score
Also quick observations for new user.....

The cables to connect to the "red" bypass are way back up there :) couple scraped knuckles.

Easy to connect and reprogram

Set tire size for Toyo ATIII 285/55r22, which had a circumference that I found online of 2740, tweaked down to 2680 to get it dialed in. Each time was easy but after cycling power off and restarting ACC was disabled and collision warning came on, a couple of power cycles and this stopped each time. I did go from power on to drive pretty quickly so it is possible that the boot up test sequence hadn't completed.

Question, I have heard that folks leave the bypass and MX+ connect all the time, would love confirmation on this? If you do remove to the plugs need to be re-connected to the sockets up behind the dash?
It seems after every update of the tire size it throws a code, i went through the code clearing and it stayed clean after that.

Haywizzle

Reaction score
You need to give the app permissions.
Long press on the app go into the app settings (not the app) and allow it file access.

Should look something like this.
View attachment 158448 View attachment 158449 View attachment 158450
View attachment 158451 View attachment 158453

I can't seem to allow it access to files/media either. I'm on Android 13, AlfaOBD v2.3.2.0. I took some screen shots.

Also, I don't believe it is possible, but can one turn off the USB port's power with the engine? I'm adding a dongle for Android Auto and don't want the still connected to WiFi until the port dies an hour later issue.

Screenshot_20230520_141227_Permission controller.jpg Screenshot_20230520_141243_Permission controller.jpg

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I can't seem to allow it access to files/media either. I'm on Android 13, AlfaOBD v2.3.2.0. I took some screen shots.

Also, I don't believe it is possible, but can one turn off the USB port's power with the engine? I'm adding a dongle for Android Auto and don't want the still connected to WiFi until the port dies an hour later issue.

View attachment 159157 View attachment 159156
I have an Android auto box and its turned off when the truck is off. Have you tested it yet?

You might want to re-install AlfaOBD. I also have version 2.3.2.0 but on Android 12.
You also need to give it location permissions for proper bluetooth access, I wonder if that is fighting you also (doesn't sound like it).

Users who are viewing this thread