5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AlfaOBD Known Changes 5th Gen

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've also run into issues with various other devices split off the OBD connection wreaking havoc.

Banks Pedal Monster, Edge CTS, etc.

With everything else including the SGW bypass disconnected, check your OBD reader/AlfaOBD. You can read values, just can't write anything.

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
just received my bypass cable and Bluetooth obd tool. I have a 2019 ram limited non e torque with tech package etc

I am going to attempt to calibrate the tire size and want to clarify what I need to do and what options I need to select before I screw something up majorly. Can anyone help.

(Looking for a step by step) no videos on YouTube show this being done on a limited just rebels. Or big horn

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
just received my bypass cable and Bluetooth obd tool. I have a 2019 ram limited non e torque with tech package etc

I am going to attempt to calibrate the tire size and want to clarify what I need to do and what options I need to select before I screw something up majorly. Can anyone help.

(Looking for a step by step) no videos on YouTube show this being done on a limited just rebels. Or big horn

There's no differences in process between trims.

John Jensen

Reaction score
This is a correct statement by their support folks.

I think it should be obvious but just in case you do need to have Bluetooh ennabled if you are expecting to connect to a Bluetooth device

You can't have 2 apps using the same sensor at the same or near time.

If I connect with Torque (another app) and then try to use Alfaobd it doesn't connect.

Force close the OBDLink app and Alfaobd and try again. If it fails remove the sensor for a couple of seconds then plug it back in and try with JUST Alfaobd not ODBLink.

If you don't have the sensor paired yet you will need to pair the device with Bluetooth once so it's a saved device (you will not see it connected like your truck would be but it will just show up under old devices

Go into Alfaobd, click on the bluetooth icon (top left), and select the name of your adaptor which would be on that saved list. Give it a couple of seconds then try to connect and report back to us.
Thanks for the great advice. Have done all of your advice. Your best key part, which the OBDLink tech never mentioned is:
If I connect with Torque (another app) and then try to use Alfaobd it doesn't connect.

Finally got it worked out.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Thanks
Interesting. I wonder if it performs better when using a PC than their MX style. I have asked the OBDLink tech that question.
Here's the OBDLink tech reply:

"Better" is subject to one's preferences, but many users generally report success using OBDLink EX over OBDLink MX+ due to:
A wired connection over USB (and therefore faster data transfer rates)
24v compatibility over OBDLink MX+'s 12v compatibility
Low-cost (compared to MX+) for access to the same modules

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the great advice. Have done all of your advice. Your best key part, which the OBDLink tech never mentioned is:

Finally got it worked out.

Sorry you had to figure that one out the hard way. I thought everyone knew that.

Speaking of, you think that was a tough lesson, it took me a few days of research and much gnashing of teeth and F bombs to finally figure out why I couldn't get my GIAC Switcher program to read the ECU in my Audi so I can set it to stock for an emissions test issue. Turns out that you have to start up VDCS (fka VAGCOM - it's the software used to twerk the VW/SKODA/AUDI etc brands) and go into the cable config and deselect "boot in intelligent mode" to force the VAG cable (I have an old HEX-COM) into "dumb" mode to use it with other software. Must have been some change they made many releases ago as the last time I switched the tune to/from stock, I didn't have to go through those gyrations. Even reached out to the tuner and a local shop I use and everyone was dumbfounded why it wasn't working.

John Jensen

Reaction score
I was still having problems getting Alfa to connect. It kept saying there was no blue tooth, etc. So I went into my phone settings/apps/ alfaobd and cleared the cache and the data. Then had to reload alpha like it was a new app. Bingo, no hesitation connecting.

Wirerat

Reaction score
My alfa will not connect unless I set my smart watch to airplane mode. But other than that no real issues using the obdlink LX.

Last edited:

John Jensen

Reaction score
My alfa will not connect unless I set my smart watch to airplane mode. But other than that no real issues using the obdlink LX.
Interesting. Is it because the OBDLinkLX would not pair with the Smart Watch paired and connected or was it paired and Alfa wouldn't connect? I ask because today when I did the above I wasn't wearing my smartwatch. Maybe it worked because there was no smartwatch and not for what I did.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting. Is it because the OBDLinkLX would not pair with the Smart Watch paired and connected or was it paired and Alfa wouldn't connect? I ask because today when I did the above I wasn't wearing my smartwatch. Maybe it worked because there was no smartwatch and not for what I did.

I've never had an issue with multiple BT devices connected to my phone (watch, truck radio, battery monitor all at once), you just can't connect more than one app to the OBD reader. Torque has to be "closed" with the option to shut down so it drops the BT connection to the reader.

Wirerat

Reaction score
My phone is also always connected to the uconnect at the same time. Using a note 20 ultra and galaxy watch 4.

It will connect eventually if I leave my watch active but it takes multiple attempts. Setting airplane mode on the watch and it joins first attempt.

This might be related to the obdlink LX I am using. I don't see many users with this device. Back when I purchased it, it was $50.

Last edited:

John Jensen

Reaction score
I had my smartwatch on today and had no trouble connecting. Connected quickly every time.

Code2medic

Reaction score
The procedure above said 7.4, I set it to 7.8 just to be a little brighter. But they only come on in gear, so hard to tell sitting in drivers seat.
I did the changes and well nothing comes on when in gear verified by recording maybe after programming it it needs to sit for a bit before its active

Bigbags85

Reaction score
Is there a way to make the backup camera stay on for idk 5secs after going from R to D? I noticed that my dads 21 Bighorn does that. He thinks it didn't always do that though. I'd love for mine to have this ability for inching up in parking spots.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Is there a way to make the backup camera stay on for idk 5secs after going from R to D? I noticed that my dads 21 Bighorn does that. He thinks it didn't always do that though. I'd love for mine to have this ability for inching up in parking spots.
My back up camera stays on until I get over like 5mph or something like that

MurphBigHorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's what his does too. Mine cuts off immediately.

It’s been awhile but I think there is a setting to make it do that. Mine at first would switch off when I went to drive. Now it stays on a bit. Once I starting driving. Check in the setting in the radio.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Radio settings > cameras > backup camera delay

raife

Reaction score
Adding Factory LED Bed Lighting:
CBC Config I/O Bed Light Switch Input Present - Pin 16: - Yes
CBC Config I/O Connector F Pin 6: Baggage Compartment Lamps Output Present - Yes
2014 CBC Config I/O & Feat.: Bed Lighting Present - Pin A5: - Yes
Good afternoon everyone. So I installed the bed light kit in my 2020 3500 CC LB SW Larime HO Cummins.
However, I have a couple questions regarding AlfaOBD (I have the bypass installed and MX+).
1) On the "Home Screen" - I chose RAM 3500 (D2,DD,DR); Body Computer; Body computer MY2020+ PowerNet
2) Then under "Select procedure to start" I chose "Car configuration change"
3) I see the:
CBC Config I/O
- Bed Light Switch Input Present - Pin G16
- Connector F Pin 6: Baggage Compartment Lamps Output Present
- Bed Lighting Present Pin D6

BUT, I can't find/see
- 2014 CBC Config I/O & Feat.: Bed Lighting Present - Pin A5

The only A5 I find is 2014 CBC Config I/O & Feat: Front Park/Signature Lamp Right - Pin A5

I tried turning the 3 under CBC Config I/O to "Yes" with no luck

I found a video by Kyle Talbot (
) for a 2018 and he selected 2014 CBC Config I/O & Feat: Truck Bed Lighting Feature...which I also don't have...

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread