5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AlfaOBD Known Changes 5th Gen

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
He's talking the alfaObd settings.
I know what he was talking about, but if he had a 2022 you can't get the pages even if you set in Alfa
2019 limited.
here ya go
VehConfig 1: Performance Pages Present: Yes
VehConfig 2: Off-road Capable: Yes
VehConfig 5: Off-Road Pages Present: Yes

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I know what he was talking about, but if he had a 2022 you can't get the pages even if you set in Alfa

here ya go
VehConfig 1: Performance Pages Present: Yes
VehConfig 2: Off-road Capable: Yes
VehConfig 5: Off-Road Pages Present: Yes

He also needs software version 39.7. I believe the update prior to that works too.

frisby5

Reaction score
Thank you.

I also get the hood ajar indication on my center dash cluster.

I'm actually not sure if opening the hood with alarm activated/armed will trip it. I can't find anyone or any other resource that mentions this feature. Although you'd think it would given the setting is specific to VTA.
I tried opening my hood with alarm set but it didnt go off so im not sure it shows up on dash as open.

22Ram1500InAR

Reaction score
I tried opening my hood with alarm set but it didnt go off so im not sure it shows up on dash as open.
Thanks frisby5,

I assume it goes off when you open the doors?

I sent the question about the hood ajar monitoring to Alexey the alfaODB developer. There is a lot of detail I could write, but in short my truck has two hood switches due to eTorque. There are two settings for hood ajar switch monitoring, and one is set to yes and the other no. Using AlfaOBD I can only change one of them. So I’m trying to see with Alexey if there is a way to set both to yes.

If you search through your truck’s config you might find the setting “Right Hood Ajar Switch”, which is the second switch. You can also see them inside the hood. Anyway, toward the end of your config file you might find two entries for the hood ajar monitoring (and IMG_2056.jpeg one might be set to no).

Thanks again.

frisby5

Reaction score
Thanks frisby5,

I sent the question about the hood ajar monitoring to Alexey the alfaODB developer. There is a lot of detail I could write, but in short my truck has two hood switches due to eTorque. There are two settings for hood ajar switch monitoring, and one is set to yes and the other no. Using AlfaOBD I can only change one of them. So I’m trying to see with Alexey if there is a way to set both to yes.

If you search through your truck’s config you might find the setting “Right Hood Ajar Switch”, which is the second switch. You can also see them inside the hood. Anyway, toward the end of your config file you might find two entries for the hood ajar monitoring (and View attachment 160566 one might be set to no).

Thanks again.
Oh ok thanks for the info ! If you find out anything let me know. I have Etorque to.

22Ram1500InAR

Reaction score
Thanks frisby5,

If you search through your truck’s config you might find the setting “Right Hood Ajar Switch”, which is the second switch. You can also see them inside the hood. Anyway, toward the end of your config file you might find two entries for the hood ajar monitoring (and View attachment 160566 one might be set to no).

Thanks again.
FYI--I have a response from Alexey (the AlfaOBD developer) and a fix. I will install the fix and test sometime this week.

22Ram1500InAR

Reaction score
FYI--I have a response from Alexey (the AlfaOBD developer) and a fix. I will install the fix and test sometime this week.
Hello all. Please read if you have added or plan to add the Vehicle Theft Alarm (VTA).

In several configurations, for example if you have eTorque and remote start, you likely have two hood ajar switches (see image). Both of these need to be set to monitor hood ajar (in the BCM) or the alarm will not "trip" if the hood is opened. Many of you who have added this feature through AlfaOBD set one of the switches to monitor hood ajar but not the other (and you may not have known it). You can test if this applies to you by testing the alarm or looking for the two switches. And of course, for some configurations, this second switch is not there and the second setting should not be needed.

Working with Alexey, the AlphaOBD developer, a new AlfaOBD update is being made available that will allow you to set the second hood ajar setting (the current version of AlfaOBD cannot access the second setting).

Therefore, if this applies to your Ram's configuration, you'll need to set both to the following using the new AlfaOBD update:

Vehicle Theft Alarm (VTA) Hood Ajar Monitoring 1: Yes
Vehicle Theft Alarm (VTA) Hood Ajar Monitoring 2: Yes

I do not know when the update will be available. I assume soon. Alexey sent the update directly to me. You could send a note to [email protected] in the mean time and request the update if you have the two hood ajar switches, try to make the change, and do not see the second hood ajar setting.

IMG_2056.jpg

22Ram1500InAR

Reaction score
Hello all. Please read if you have added or plan to add the Vehicle Theft Alarm (VTA).

In several configurations, for example if you have eTorque and remote start, you likely have two hood ajar switches (see image). Both of these need to be set to monitor hood ajar (in the BCM) or the alarm will not "trip" if the hood is opened. Many of you who have added this feature through AlfaOBD set one of the switches to monitor hood ajar but not the other (and you may not have known it). You can test if this applies to you by testing the alarm or looking for the two switches. And of course, for some configurations, this second switch is not there and the second setting should not be needed.

Working with Alexey, the AlphaOBD developer, a new AlfaOBD update is being made available that will allow you to set the second hood ajar setting (the current version of AlfaOBD cannot access the second setting).

Therefore, if this applies to your Ram's configuration, you'll need to set both to the following using the new AlfaOBD update:

Vehicle Theft Alarm (VTA) Hood Ajar Monitoring 1: Yes
Vehicle Theft Alarm (VTA) Hood Ajar Monitoring 2: Yes

I do not know when the update will be available. I assume soon. Alexey sent the update directly to me. You could send a note to [email protected] in the mean time and request the update if you have the two hood ajar switches, try to make the change, and do not see the second hood ajar setting.

View attachment 160926
PS—my alarm now sounds if the hood is opened when the alarm is activated.

:)

frisby5

Reaction score
PS—my alarm now sounds if the hood is opened when the alarm is activated.

:)
Nice !! I dont have pushbutton start wonder if it will work for me i dont see the other button on the hood latch?

Last edited:

22Ram1500InAR

Reaction score
Nice !! I dont have pushbutton start wonder if it will work for me i dont see the other button on the good latch?
I think the easiest way is to get the AlfaOBD update and see if both (two) "hood ajar monitoring" settings exist. Just set them to "yes".

BTW--after I made the change, it did not work until I restarted the truck.

22Ram1500InAR

Reaction score
To test this how do you open the hood if the truck is locked and armed, leave the window down? Or did you tape the switch?
Hi seansmd,

I set the alarm, left the window open, put the key fobs 60 ft away, and then reached through the window and pulled the hood release....then ran 60 ft to get the key fobs to turn it off hahahaha.

frisby5

Reaction score
I think the easiest way is to get the AlfaOBD update and see if both (two) "hood ajar monitoring" settings exist. Just set them to "yes".

BTW--after I made the change, it did not work until I restarted the truck.
I have two hood ajar settings in Alfa but there is no right or left. I set both of them to yes but it didnt do anything when i popped the hood unless the fob needs to be away from truck for that to happen..

Users who are viewing this thread