5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alfa OBD or Jscan. Which is better?

Gearjunkie340

Reaction score
I'm curious to know what you use and think about both apps in use with a security bypass cable.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They look like apples and oranges so it's hard to compare. It looks like JScan is more for sensor monitoring (like my Torque Pro app does) and AlfaOBD is settings modifications.

I'm not familiar with JScan and the website does not reveal a lot of information:

- How much is a license?
- What is "vehicle adaptations"?

It does not say you need a Security Gateway bypass so don't know if you can change any settings.

I know RAM is part of the Chrylser/FCA/Stellantis family but the webite only shows Jeep and van (Caravan and T&C) compatibility.

If I wanted to read live data I'd give it a shot for free but I don't know if it will do what AlfaOBD will.

AlfaOBD is going to cost you (~$50) in addition to the SGW bypass and OBDII connection (which you need for JScan anyway).

Again, I have no experience with JScan (or if it works on our RAMs).

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have no experience with Jscan, but I've done a lot with AlfaODB. BTW, it is Alfa as in Alfa Romeo not Alpha as in a very buggy early software.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm curious to know what you use and think about both apps in use with a security bypass cable.
AlfaOBD by a long shot. Jscan doesn’t “technically” support the DT Rams yet, but it’ll still work if you get a VIN license. Since you would be using BCM adaptations from a DS settings list, you’re limited to basic changes like fogs lamp dropout, remote start, etc, so you couldn’t add more complex features like surround view, adaptive cruise, factory LED headlights, etc. Jscan seems to focus more on updates for JTs and JLs. As far as how each app functions, they are both changing settings in the BCM exactly the same way, and both would require a security gateway bypass and interface. Also, Jscan is ~$25 for one VIN license, where AlfaOBD is $50, and can be used freely with an unlimited amount of FCA vehicles. One thing that is nice about Jscan is, it will scan every single module on the truck for faults in one shot, where with AlfaOBD you have to connect to each module individually, one at a time, to scan each one for faults. I don’t limit myself to one or the other though, as they all have advantages and disadvantages, so I use AlfaOBD, Jscan, appcar diagFCA, and auto enginuity.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
AlphaOBD. Torque Pro if you want Realtime monitoring. All you need to do is load a PID list and you can do and see anything.

Jscan is just a dumbed down very limited tweaking tool. Also license per vehicle. Torque pro and Alphaobd are unlimited.

The only thing Jscan has going for it is that it quasi supports IOS. Alphaobd doesn't. Of course, if you are into tweaking things, you should be on android and stop limiting yourself.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have both, I like j-scan its a fast and easily organized to find things, but yes DT not technically supported yet, so if you are using a profile for a DS truck, some of the things dont work or do what they are suppose to. Thats not to say you can't screw up stuff easily with alfaobd as well. I hope j-scan updates, because its a great program.

Papabear_08

Reaction score
Just FYI, JScan now supports the DT. Shows up to the 2022 year now. I think I’m going to mess with it tomorrow.

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does anyone know if you can change the set PSI for the TPMS in the truck with Jscan?.. also, does it require a bypass module?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dewey

Reaction score
Anybody else try Jscan?

What features are you able to change vs something like the Tazer?

Hopefully Kill3Honks works on 2022’s.

I’m interested because Jscan works with iOS.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Anybody else try Jscan?

What features are you able to change vs something like the Tazer?

Hopefully Kill3Honks works on 2022’s.

I’m interested because Jscan works with iOS.
Jscan is the exact same type of tool as AlfaOBD, which can only toggle BCM settings that are already configurable.
The 3 horn honk on the 22s is not a configurable feature, so no software like Jscan or AlfaOBD will ever be able to change that.
Tazer is able to do it as a live feature (has to remain plugged in) because it is actively monitoring/waiting for that message, and modifies it.

Kyzeebomb61

Reaction score
Jscan is the exact same type of tool as AlfaOBD, which can only toggle BCM settings that are already configurable.
The 3 horn honk on the 22s is not a configurable feature, so no software like Jscan or AlfaOBD will ever be able to change that.
Tazer is able to do it as a live feature (has to remain plugged in) because it is actively monitoring/waiting for that message, and modifies it.
wait so I dont need to buy an android device to enable things such as passive entry and rain sense wipers, I can just buy Jscan on my iphone instead?

vincentw56

Reaction score
wait so I dont need to buy an android device to enable things such as passive entry and rain sense wipers, I can just buy Jscan on my iphone instead?
Yes, but you still need the security bypass and the device to connect to the obd port.

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have Jscan on iOS, has anyone with that setup been able to activate the off road pages? I have a 2020 Limited 4x4. Also, I changed the splash screen on start up, but cannot seem to change it back, any ideas on that?

jmrhodes212

Reaction score
I have Jscan on iOS, has anyone with that setup been able to activate the off road pages? I have a 2020 Limited 4x4. Also, I changed the splash screen on start up, but cannot seem to change it back, any ideas on that?
You find anything else out on Jscan? I'm looking at getting something to change the tire size for new tires. I assume Jscan will do that.

What did you have to purchase to make this work?

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I use j-scan for tire sizes..works perfect. I really like j-scan. I have alfaobd too, but my daily phone is a iPhone so j-scan is real handy.

jmrhodes212

Reaction score
I use j-scan for tire sizes..works perfect. I really like j-scan. I have alfaobd too, but my daily phone is a iPhone so j-scan is real handy.
Do you have to do any of the "multiple steps" with Jscan that are required for alfaOBD to change the tire size? With Alfa there seems to be some steps beyond to reset the ABS, etc. Wondering if Jscan is just put in the number and save.

Thanks,

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Do you have to do any of the "multiple steps" with Jscan that are required for alfaOBD to change the tire size? With Alfa there seems to be some steps beyond to reset the ABS, etc. Wondering if Jscan is just put in the number and save.

Thanks,
As Jimmy07 said before, the process for making changes is the same between alfaObd and j-scan as they both interface with the BCM is the same way, and you have to change each setting individually

Users who are viewing this thread