5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AirBags - Timber Grove vs AirLift 5000 Ultimate Plus+

Rock Crawler

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Be very careful. Something you need to consider is that if you go over the vehicle‘s listed limits, and get in an accident involving any other vehicles, your insurance company isn’t going to pay because you modified the vehicle to an extent that made it unsafe. The other driver will sue you and win.

Nobody here is trying to tell you what to do, or not to do. We just want all of our members to be safe.

Also, why would a reputable camper dealer sell you a camper that is not compatible with your vehicle?

Another thing to consider when going over weight limits. Too much weight can destroy your frame. Although this guy’s insurance paid for the repair, I wouldn’t expect to ever see that happen again. Thankfully he was able to pull over somewhere safe and didn’t lose control and crash.

Last edited:

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Be very careful. Something you need to consider is that if you go over the vehicle‘s listed limits, and get in an accident, your insurance company isn’t going to pay because you modified the vehicle to an extent that made it unsafe. The other driver will sue you and win.

Nobody here is trying to tell you what to do, or not to do. We just want all of our members to be safe.

Also, why would a reputable camper dealer sell you a camper that is not compatible with your vehicle?

Another thing to consider when going over weight limits. Too much weight can destroy your frame. Although this guy’s insurance paid for the repair, I wouldn’t expect to ever see that happen again. Thankfully he was able to pull over somewhere safe and didn’t lose control and crash.

Exactly the point I was trying to make. Camper salesmen are some of the worse they’ll tell you anything to make the sale and not think twice about you going down the road and screwing someone or something up. Yes that camper is 1500 compatible with the right configuration aka leaf springs and more payload probably not a ram 1500 truck. I would much rather lose the deposit (check the paperwork and make sure it is in fact nonrefundable, just don't go off what the bs salesman told you), then be stuck with a unusable bed camper thats gonna require more truck then you have. I been contemplating a travel trailer for years now so I’m always randomly browsing rv forums or reddit and there’s a zillion different post on other be sold campers that are just not compatible with their trucks and their shocked when they learn about the numbers.

2020 Rebel

Reaction score
I'm not giving you a hard time, just describing how it works.

Your tow rating is a myth. There are 4 important limits on your truck:
GCWR (what you can pull, and thats the 11k to 12k limit you noted)
GVWR (what your vehicle can weigh, most people use payload instead as its easier to do the math)
RAWR (rear axle)
hitch

The first limit you exceed, that's the limit on your truck. If you're pulling a boat, it puts 5 to 10 percent tongue weight on your truck, you can probably pull 10000 pounds which puts 500 to 1000 pounds on your truck leaving 200 pounds for driver and a bit extra for passengers + cargo.

If you're pulling a 5w, they typically put 15 to 20 percent or more on your bed, you can no longer pull a 10,000 pound 5w. That would put almost 2000 pounds on your truck + another 100 pounds for the 5w hitch itself.

So Ram doesn't know what you're pulling, thats why they give you multiple limits, and the first limit that you hit while pulling/carrying whatever it is you're doing, that's the limit.

Most people are limited to about 8000 lbs or less when it comes to common trailers. 5w's are pretty much not towable, and neither are slide in campers. You found one of the very lightest out there, but the important spec not to go past is the rear axle. It's rated at 4100 lbs, but you may want to run over a cat scale. There are a number of stories of guys bending their frames carrying/towing too much weight, especially offroad which really leans the truck and forces the weight temporarily over one spot.

Suspension mods don't help you carry additional weight beyond your original GVWR, they just control the weight you do add, better. Your payload is your payload, and no suspension mods you can do will fix that unless you start modifying the frame and rear axle as well.

But I'm not going to argue this to death, just letting you know a number of guys have wrecked their Rams/frames doing more then they thought it could do. If you bend your frame or damage it with that camper, Ram will deny you warranty as there is no way you can carry it with a driver and still be under payload.

(don't shoot me, I'm just the messenger 🤷‍♂️ )
I'm already out of warranty anyway. The only thing left is the drivetrain and I don't think that includes the frame.

2020 Rebel

Reaction score
I guarantee you every damn truck out there carrying a truck camper is overloaded. Every damn one whether it's a 1500 2500 or 3500... Ford Chevy Toyota Dodge whatever they're all over loaded. I see overloaded Vehicles everyday of all kind Not Just Trucks carrying truck campers which is a pretty Rarity especially on the East Coast. You guys either work for insurance companies? Lawyers? or you want my truck camper that I put a deposit on???😆

Last edited:

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Good luck let it know how it works out for you and please don’t disappear from here if something does happen.

Users who are viewing this thread