5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air Suspension

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It's not the first or second winter you have to worry about... it's the rest of the trucks winters to come that will give light to the cold weather defects in the system. I'm almost at an activist level and my knowledge and experience is probably more extensive than most shop foremans at any dealer. If the tanks and compressor have not been relocated to the interior of the cab, or been redesigned with some sort of heating blanket or other cold weather protection and your winter gets below -10°c, run, don't walk away from an air ride truck. You'll thank me later.

Yeah I got 4 years out of mine before it started acting up. New Rebel won't have air suspension.:)

cjgerson

Reaction score
Yeah I got 4 years out of mine before it started acting up. New Rebel won't have air suspension.:)
I live in the middle of Illinois and have had air suspension for 5 winters. I' ve never the issue, but we do get sub-zero temps but tyipcally only for a week or so at a time. My truck gets parked in the garage over night though.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
And while Ram states that the air suspension is new for 2019, we don't have a list of specifics other than:
"The system has been modified for 2019 Ram 1500, now
with a redesigned air supply unit in a single unit to increase capability and
reduce weight. It’s also been retuned for the new, lighter-weight frame and
chassis components." - from the brochure.

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I live in the middle of Illinois and have had air suspension for 5 winters. I' ve never the issue, but we do get sub-zero temps but tyipcally only for a week or so at a time. My truck gets parked in the garage over night though.

Canada here so it could be a month or more at -20C and I don't have a garage to park inside. I kind o think its the compressor but they didn't replace it just the lines. They said they were constricted. Will have my new Rebel hopefully before this winter.:)

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Just read an article from the car connection where it noted that the air suspension "might be too firm" of a ride for some. What does that mean? I assumed the air suspension would give it the smoothest ride possible, which is the entire reason I started looking at RAM to begin with. Is the author just missing the boat with that comment?

I think the author was missing the boat with that comment. The air suspension truck I drove was incredibly smooth, the coil suspension truck I drove was as well but I'd say the air suspension has a slight edge in the comfort department.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think the author was missing the boat with that comment. The air suspension truck I drove was incredibly smooth, the coil suspension truck I drove was as well but I'd say the air suspension has a slight edge in the comfort department.
Thanks. My wife literally vomited within a couple miles of town driving in a F150 limited and a Platinum last year (I thought they fine enough btw). So I'm banking on the RAM air suspension allowing me to get a truck still...

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks. My wife literally vomited within a couple miles of town driving in a F150 limited and a Platinum last year (I thought they fine enough btw). So I'm banking on the RAM air suspension allowing me to get a truck still...
It's much smoother than the F-150. I test-drove an F-150 Limited immediately following a Ram 1500 with air suspension, and the F-150 felt like it was bouncing all over the road. Even the GMC Sierra Denali (with MagneRide) was far smoother than the Ford.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If I lived in a moderate climate, I'd be in my 16' till the wheels fell off. I love the air ride. It's just flawed, terminally.

Slim

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's much smoother than the F-150. I test-drove an F-150 Limited immediately following a Ram 1500 with air suspension, and the F-150 felt like it was bouncing all over the road. Even the GMC Sierra Denali (with MagneRide) was far smoother than the Ford.
When I bought my 2015 Ram Limited I also checked out the Ford and took it for a long test drive alone without a salesperson. I agree 100% that the truck (rear end) was bouncing all over the road at any uneven pavement, potholes etc. . It was my biggest turnoff and one of my biggest reasons for choosing the Ram was the air suspension. I could not be happier with my choice back in 2015. I hope the 2019 is even better. (When I get it! )

Slim

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If I lived in a moderate climate, I'd be in my 16' till the wheels fell off. I love the air ride. It's just flawed, terminally.
I live in Massachusetts and the coldest part by far (North Central Mass at the New Hampshire border) Lots of snow and very cold temps.........No issues with my air suspension at all. I love it!

fbl

Reaction score
Have on 2015 eco with 40k miles would get again

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I live in Massachusetts and the coldest part by far (North Central Mass at the New Hampshire border) Lots of snow and very cold temps.........No issues with my air suspension at all. I love it!

And bless your luck, Slim. Everytime I get into an air ride conversation I love to hear about the lucky few that make it to year 3 or 4 without a bad winter. The down side to going beyond warranty protection is you get blindsided by a $3000 repair bill if and when it finally goes. I hope you climate is moderate enough to escape that awful business. And it is a sweet smooth ride, no denying it!

edrclark

Staff member
Site Supporter & Order Tracking
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My air suspension has saved my bacon a few times. Once I was backing down a forest service road and went a little off road into a ditch. I ended up in a classic high center situation (yes, I had skid plates). My passengers bailed out, grabbing my shovel out of the ramboxs. I popped it into off-road 2, dropped into 4 wheel low and drove out of the ditch, much to their suprise. No serious damage, but my tail pipes are more oval then round.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a Limited on order and currently own a Grand Cherokee with Air Suspension. It has been flawless for 5 years. I hope the Ram will be also.

I live in the South so we don't get temps below 0°F often. We do get heavy wet snow and ice that builds up in the undercarriage. My Jeep has had hundreds of pounds of ice packed in under the wheel wells. The air suspension never failed.

FreeNC

Reaction score
My wife has a Grand Cherokee with air suspension and it works flawlessly and automatically changes height to aero and when parked it lowers to entry/exit. My truck is not adjusting automatically but will adjust with the switch. Is this normal, I have read that the system should operate automatically and assumed it would operate like the Jeep?

unxpctd

Reaction score
My 2017 Rebel is automatic....except for Entry/Exit....that I have to do manually. Never had any issues with mine. I hit 62mph for a few seconds and it goes into AERO. Come up to a stop sign or turn and back to NORMAL mode.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Based on what I read, entry/exit isn't automatic. I wish it was like my Grand Cherokee.

thcmas35

Tracking order
Tracking order
Reaction score
Based on what I read, entry/exit isn't automatic. I wish it was like my Grand Cherokee.

I wonder if there is a way to program the truck to auto lower when in park, perhaps something a dealer could do if not accessible to us in the settings. Probably wishful thinking on my part.

Users who are viewing this thread