5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air Suspension

J

jimh4662@

No four times over two weeks. Then dealer appointment. Try driving 60 mph, and air suspension drops to entry/exit level. Right down to bump stops. Then later raises to level two off road. Drove like no power steering. So nope 2019 in the future. Oh, check on replacement cost of one of the air suspension shocks...

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The shocks aren't too expensive it's the damn air compressor. I think it's about $2600 up here in Canada then installation is extra.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
does the air suspension also level a load?

My son and I went and drooled over that 18 rebel. Can't wait to see both 19 and 18 side by side. They sure did a good job on the new Rebel, price savings may not be an issue then lol

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
devildodge said:
does the air suspension also level a load?

My son and I went and drooled over that 18 rebel. Can't wait to see both 19 and 18 side by side. They sure did a good job on the new Rebel, price savings may not be an issue then lol
Trucks with the air suspension do auto level which is a nice feature.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
thanks. Now it is on the must have list! I almost have myself talked into a 1500, this isn't good.
1f628.png

D

Deleted member 85

Jared Balfour said:
Trucks with the air suspension do auto level which is a nice feature.
When I was a salesman, as part of my "walk-around" I would have myself and an able-bodied client stand in the bed of a Rebel to demonstrate the auto-level. A few seconds after taking our weight, the truck would raise to level. We would then hop out, and wait a few seconds for it to lower to its original height. It is beyond impressive and a competitive advantage that no one else has.

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
<woltlab-quote data-link="https://5thgenrams.com/community/forum/index.php?thread/18-air-suspension/&postID=2007#post2007" data-author="Jared Balfour">You need my fat *** to really demonstrate that LOL.</woltlab-quote>
icon_lol.gif

Love my air suspension on my Outdoorsman.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I got lost in another forum where Canadian owners were listing the complaints with the previous air suspension and almost talked myself out of it as a "future problem waiting to happen." After looking for Texas-based problems I almost couldn't find any and then noticed this little blurb on page 7 in the downloadable TX brochure ("The Strongest Ram 1500 Ever" page):

"Completely unique to the light-duty segment, the automatic or driver-operated
Active-LevelTM Four-Corner Air Suspension System is available on all trim levels
(except Ram HFE). The system has been modified for 2019 Ram 1500, now
with a redesigned air supply unit in a single unit to increase capability and
reduce weight. It’s also been retuned for the new, lighter-weight frame and
chassis components."

I have not seen any other mentions by RAM on the redesigned compressor. Maybe they didn't want to make a big deal out of it due to still selling the 2018 models and maybe further ticking off the cold weather problem owners?

J

jimh4662@

Well if it never failed, I'd would never of made reference. With me you get one shot. You have to figure in Your usability vs neat gizmo accessory. I decided NO on adding A. S. I used A. S. more to clean wheel wells. Never off road, never in snow, them days long gone. 2014 came equipped. I'd probably would not have added it if I ordered 2014 from factory. So bottom line Go for it. "Can't worry about what you can't control"

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wouldn't get the air suspension. Sounds expensive to fix and heard its not good in cold weather. I live in WI

Kramersp

Reaction score
So since the air suspension is standard on the limited, they must not want to sell them in any state north of Iowa. That is a major design flaw. I ordered a 2019 limited and a 66k truck should not be having b/s issues with the standard suspension. I hope they redesigned it at tested it for cold climates.

GM convert

Reaction score
I live in Wisconsin and would never go back to a truck without air suspension.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I mentioned on another thread a while back that the brochure makes a minor deal out of "all new compressor design for 2019." Don't quote me exactly but they've done something new to it this year. We'd love more details but that's all we have for now.
It's also apparently faster than previous generations as well.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Edwards said:
I mentioned on another thread a while back that the brochure makes a minor deal out of "all new compressor design for 2019." Don't quote me exactly but they've done something new to it this year. We'd love more details but that's all we have for now.
It's also apparently faster than previous generations as well.
I think I read that they simplified it to one compressor balancing the whole system instead of multiple units. Am I remembering that right?

unxpctd

Reaction score
2017 Rebel with the air suspension here....and live in Minnesota.

Love it and would definitely buy it again. My truck is garaged all the time though...so its not sitting in dead cold every night. Never had any issues with it.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just read an article from the car connection where it noted that the air suspension "might be too firm" of a ride for some. What does that mean? I assumed the air suspension would give it the smoothest ride possible, which is the entire reason I started looking at RAM to begin with. Is the author just missing the boat with that comment?

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Everyone's got an opinion. I did an extensive test drive of a Limited to see how it would fit in the garage and was blown away at how smooth the ride was. I'm coming from a Mercedes E550 with an air suspension and the Ram is far better. Not just a smooth ride, but it just felt very capable. Like luxury down the road but if you needed some action (avoiding a road hazard) it was ready and waiting.
I'm close to asking my dealer for another extended drive since they told me 6-8 weeks to delivery. That's tomorrow and ain't gonna happen.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's not the first or second winter you have to worry about... it's the rest of the trucks winters to come that will give light to the cold weather defects in the system. I'm almost at an activist level and my knowledge and experience is probably more extensive than most shop foremans at any dealer. If the tanks and compressor have not been relocated to the interior of the cab, or been redesigned with some sort of heating blanket or other cold weather protection and your winter gets below -10°c, run, don't walk away from an air ride truck. You'll thank me later.

Users who are viewing this thread