5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air Suspension Leveling Kit - Ready lift Vs. Revel Performance (Air Links / Spacer)

patsfantn

Reaction score
How much did you set the at originally? I think I did 6 turns.
They came kinda short so I set them as close to the factory ones as I could, I made them a little longer than the stock and put them on. After that probably 6 turns. I think I have it where it needs to be now. im Really happy that all the factory settings still work too, not that I have any need to use OR1 and 2.
Appreciate y’all’s help with all this.

Josh24

Reaction score

c_bass16

Reaction score
Did you notice any change in the ride characteristics from the level?
did it immediately so never had a chance to notice....but I had 2" level and 35s on my 2019 with standard suspension and I really don't think the air ride is that significant on ride quality over all. That's not why I bought it anyway

themust

Reaction score
Great thread. I'm new here but have had '19 Laramie for 4 years and just got a 21 limited (looks about identical to Josh 24's truck.) So I can sure weigh in on ride quality comparing my 2 trucks: the '19 Laramie on 18s (standard size Firestone Destinations) rides like a dream in comparison to the '21 Limited with Air ride. Handles better and feels more secure on the road. The '21 Limited has 12.5X35 Yokahama X-AT's and (according to my dealer) some sort of "adjustable bracket" that is a leveling kit. That's why I originally came to this forum. I much prefer the ride of the old truck but the look of the new one is stunning! The hit overall on gas mileage is about 2mpg (though hard to tell since the enormous tires have also thrown off the odo and speedo by about 7%). It should also be noted that the new one has the 3.92 axle whereas the '19 has the 3.21 which also affects the mileage and day to day drivability. The dealer has warned me that the "Adjustable bracket" that provides the level could have a bad impact on other suspension parts and even the reliability of the Air Ride itself. Based on this thread it seems I would need to know a lot more about which level bracket was installed and what other mitigating steps they might have taken. Any other thoughts on any of these topics welcomed! 21 ram.jpg

Josh24

Reaction score
Great thread. I'm new here but have had '19 Laramie for 4 years and just got a 21 limited (looks about identical to Josh 24's truck.) So I can sure weigh in on ride quality comparing my 2 trucks: the '19 Laramie on 18s (standard size Firestone Destinations) rides like a dream in comparison to the '21 Limited with Air ride. Handles better and feels more secure on the road. The '21 Limited has 12.5X35 Yokahama X-AT's and (according to my dealer) some sort of "adjustable bracket" that is a leveling kit. That's why I originally came to this forum. I much prefer the ride of the old truck but the look of the new one is stunning! The hit overall on gas mileage is about 2mpg (though hard to tell since the enormous tires have also thrown off the odo and speedo by about 7%). It should also be noted that the new one has the 3.92 axle whereas the '19 has the 3.21 which also affects the mileage and day to day drivability. The dealer has warned me that the "Adjustable bracket" that provides the level could have a bad impact on other suspension parts and even the reliability of the Air Ride itself. Based on this thread it seems I would need to know a lot more about which level bracket was installed and what other mitigating steps they might have taken. Any other thoughts on any of these topics welcomed! View attachment 165798

Nice truck! Let us know what you find out about the adjustable brackets. My understanding is they are used to increase pressure in the air ride system which is what gives you the 2 inch lift. Similar to adjustable links (airlinks, revel links, etc.) without the option to adjust them. They trick the truck into thinking it needs more air so basically you are driving in off road 1 or 2 which will of course be stiffer ride as the additional nitrogen is giving the lift. The best solution for leveling seems to be putting a spacer (ready lift 1.5 or Daystar) above the strut to reduce the additional air out of the bags in addition to the bracket / links. If you have just the adjustable bracket now but no spacer that may be a good option and should help with the ride quality. Of course LT tires will ride firmer regardless but the spacer should help from a suspension standpoint.

Last edited:

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Great thread. I'm new here but have had '19 Laramie for 4 years and just got a 21 limited (looks about identical to Josh 24's truck.) So I can sure weigh in on ride quality comparing my 2 trucks: the '19 Laramie on 18s (standard size Firestone Destinations) rides like a dream in comparison to the '21 Limited with Air ride. Handles better and feels more secure on the road. The '21 Limited has 12.5X35 Yokahama X-AT's and (according to my dealer) some sort of "adjustable bracket" that is a leveling kit. That's why I originally came to this forum. I much prefer the ride of the old truck but the look of the new one is stunning! The hit overall on gas mileage is about 2mpg (though hard to tell since the enormous tires have also thrown off the odo and speedo by about 7%). It should also be noted that the new one has the 3.92 axle whereas the '19 has the 3.21 which also affects the mileage and day to day drivability. The dealer has warned me that the "Adjustable bracket" that provides the level could have a bad impact on other suspension parts and even the reliability of the Air Ride itself. Based on this thread it seems I would need to know a lot more about which level bracket was installed and what other mitigating steps they might have taken. Any other thoughts on any of these topics welcomed! View attachment 165798
I'm assuming that the previous owner just got the adjustable links, and no spacer, and that is why the ride is worse. Well, that and the LT mud terrains of course.

These links just trick the truck into increasing it's static ride height at normal levels by filling the bags just as it would do in OR1 or OR2 modes.

So I wouldnt write off your Air Ride ride quality just yet. Not really an apples:apples comparison given the variables.

Either return to OEM links, or add a Daystar or Readylift spacer atop your front Air Struts to improve the ride. Not everyone or every shop is comfortable with the work required to add the spacer, hence why it may just be links.

Here's a comparison of OEM vs Aftermarket links:
1692890791654.png

Edit: the above is a not a great photo because it is of the rear. You'll find them there, but also up front between your Upper Control Arm and Frame. The links there should be similarly different from the above.

recon15

Reaction score
Do you have a picture of your front links? Then we will know what they are. You probably don’t have a spacer, which is why is doesn’t ride as good. Also take a pic of your rear links. What size tire are you running here? Looka like t you have wheel spacers as well.

h4zegrey

Reaction score
Great thread, lots of information to digest.

Trying to make this apples to apples for my own decision process. Here goes, prices from websites, not including shipping/tax.

Readylift 1.5 leveling kit (possible revel rear links needed?)Revel 2.0 Advanced lift package (up to 2.5 total lift)
no linksRevel links
Readylift metal spacer (description says steel, details say aluminum)Daystar polyurethane spacer
Readylift upper control armsReadylift upper control arms
Max Tire (285/65r20) = 34.6 (Toyo AT III), 34.8 (Nitto Ridge Grappler)None listed
$529.95 (+ opt rear revel @ $149.99 = $759.94)$899.99 ($929.99 w/links pre-adjusted)

It seems to me that if you are comparing "full kits" as opposed to just links, the fundamental difference comes down to the material of the spacer (metal vs poly)

Does anybody have any technical info on longevity of the different spacer materials?

EDIT: Only article I've found (so far) addressing the issue

Last edited:

Spokanesteve

Reaction score
Hello all:

This has been a great thread - so I thought I would continue rather than start a new one. Here are a few remaining questions that I have:

1. As I measure my truck in its stock setting (21 Limited), I have a 2 inch rake from front to back. This seems consistent across all five air suspension heights with very minor differences. Is this consistent with other people's findings? So, If I still want about 1 Inch of rake after then I only need about 1 inch in the front OR 1.5 inches in the front plus .5 inches in the back to keep that rake?
2. I think I saw that both the Daystar spacer and the Readylift spacer are both actually about 1.5 inches in height. Can anyone confirm this?
3. On a previous vehicle I found that the front end layout of components meant the height of a leveling spacer resulted in 2X the vehicle height increase due to the geometry of the suspension. Does anyone know if this is also the case on the Ram?
4. Is there an alternative to the Daystar or Readylift spacer that does a better job of giving a true 1 to 1.5 inch lift to the front of the truck.
5. What size tires have people tried after a level? By my analysis, here are the sizes I have been thinking about:

275/55/20 - stock - basically a 32" tire
275/60/20 - big - basically a 33" tire
275/65/20 - bigger - basically a 34" tire

It looks like both the 33" and 34" should be able to fit without rubbing but any additional experiences would be appreciated.
I am particularly interested in what folks have found in terms of mileage reduction.

6. Are folks getting their speedometer re-calibrated at a dealer? Is this difficult? What charges are people getting for speedometer recalibration. Is there a DIY solution - maybe with on OBD device that's easier, or more accurate than using a dealer?

Thanks all - much appreciated. Please keep the information flowing!

Cheers, Steve.

DuoMax1400

Reaction score
Hello all:

This has been a great thread - so I thought I would continue rather than start a new one. Here are a few remaining questions that I have:

1. As I measure my truck in its stock setting (21 Limited), I have a 2 inch rake from front to back. This seems consistent across all five air suspension heights with very minor differences. Is this consistent with other people's findings? So, If I still want about 1 Inch of rake after then I only need about 1 inch in the front OR 1.5 inches in the front plus .5 inches in the back to keep that rake?
2. I think I saw that both the Daystar spacer and the Readylift spacer are both actually about 1.5 inches in height. Can anyone confirm this?
3. On a previous vehicle I found that the front end layout of components meant the height of a leveling spacer resulted in 2X the vehicle height increase due to the geometry of the suspension. Does anyone know if this is also the case on the Ram?
4. Is there an alternative to the Daystar or Readylift spacer that does a better job of giving a true 1 to 1.5 inch lift to the front of the truck.
5. What size tires have people tried after a level? By my analysis, here are the sizes I have been thinking about:

275/55/20 - stock - basically a 32" tire
275/60/20 - big - basically a 33" tire
275/65/20 - bigger - basically a 34" tire

It looks like both the 33" and 34" should be able to fit without rubbing but any additional experiences would be appreciated.
I am particularly interested in what folks have found in terms of mileage reduction.

6. Are folks getting their speedometer re-calibrated at a dealer? Is this difficult? What charges are people getting for speedometer recalibration. Is there a DIY solution - maybe with on OBD device that's easier, or more accurate than using a dealer?

Thanks all - much appreciated. Please keep the information flowing!

Cheers, Steve.
Hi, Steve. I contacted Revel about their Advanced Kit (Daystar spacer, Readylift control arms, and Revel Links), and they stated the following:
"As per our build blog (Revel Performance Inc), customers with the basic and advanced kits have been able to run 35x12.5 on stock rims. It is likely you could go up a bit more in size and a good way to find that out is to put your truck on the highest off-road setting and take some measurements. All height is obtained via the range of the stock air ride system by simply using our links and spacer to move the truck's normal ride mode up. Having the spacers makes that initial 2-2.5" on the front by using the same volume of air in the air cylinders. Further adjustments are possible above the spacer."

thathaway99

Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently bought a 2023 Ram 1500 limited, and this forum thread has convinced me to level it. I do have a few questions though.

1. It seems like the readylift and revel lift kits provide a bit too much lift, and the solution proposed is to lift the rear slightly. Has anyone tried using the revel kit with adjustable front links and just lowering the front back down slightly instead?

2. Just a repeat of Spokanesteve's question, has anyone gotten their speedometer recalibrated?

3. Have you guys lowered your headlights after leveling? If so, did you do this yourself or have it done by someone else? I don't want to blind everyone due to negligence.

Thanks!
Tucker

jcjohn

Reaction score
I remember reading that the new A-arms aren't necessary with the pucks and links. Guys hadn't reported any issues, but this has been some time ago. I wonder if there are problems now, or if Revel is just looking to make some more $$$.

RHCan

USAF Retired Vet
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just installed ReadyLift 1.5 leveling kit with UCA. No issues smooth ride. Trying to decide what tires to run.Currently running 22X10inch +24 offset
tires 305/45R22

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just installed ReadyLift 1.5 leveling kit with UCA. No issues smooth ride. Trying to decide what tires to run.Currently running 22X10inch +24 offset
tires 305/45R22
Is this with oe links or aftermarket?

No issues with sway bars?

Have a pic of your current wheel tire setup?

Thanks in advance

Users who are viewing this thread