5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air Suspension Leveling Kit - Ready lift Vs. Revel Performance (Air Links / Spacer)

JRD

Reaction score
First made them the same length as the factory links. Then made them 6 full turns longer.
Had I know it was so easy to replace I would’ve done it myself, I shouldn’t have brought it to the shop

Ready Go

Reaction score
Well I just installed the AIRLINKS front and rear kit and I’m having issues. It will not allow me to utilize entry exit and gives me payload message on the dash when I cycle through the ride heights. I followed the directions to the “T” and also did the trouble shooting recommended but no luck. The level is still not what I thought it would be. The rake is still pretty noticeable. ( installed just the links no spacers ) also if I try to ride in off road 2 or 1 it’s bounces like a low rider.

********* update 1/29/23***********

Tried to put the truck in entry exit and it freaked out. Thankfully a drive around the block it fixed itself
This totally reminds me of the 80s trend of using Gabriel HiJackers Air Shocks on street machines..all that you need now is some really wide rear tires and some side pipes!!
(Ohh, you could start a new trend...side pipes as running boards!!)🤯🤢🤮🤣

E.Hands

Reaction score
The one thing that must be kept in mind is that there is an ideal "effective spring rate" of these air bags. And that ideal rate is ONLY achieved at one particular "height" or length of the air bag. Any length above or below that ideal length, is a compromise.
Just as you can feel vast differences in the ride quality of the 5 different ride modes. The more you move away from the ideal length determined by the engineers at the factory, the more you are compromising all areas of the suspension.
Can you tell that I went back to the stock links on my truck yet?

jmill012

Reaction score
The one thing that must be kept in mind is that there is an ideal "effective spring rate" of these air bags. And that ideal rate is ONLY achieved at one particular "height" or length of the air bag. Any length above or below that ideal length, is a compromise.
Just as you can feel vast differences in the ride quality of the 5 different ride modes. The more you move away from the ideal length determined by the engineers at the factory, the more you are compromising all areas of the suspension.
Can you tell that I went back to the stock links on my truck yet?

Correct but by adding a space up front with the links you end up with the same amount length in the airbag. I added 1/2 inch total to the air bag length in the front and rear when all was said and done. Not enough to make a difference and the ride quality is identical.

In theory I could shorten the length of the front and rear by 1/2 inch and achieve the same “air bag length” as factory.

JRD

Reaction score
Just wanted to thank @E.Hands @jmill012 & eberyone else that helped me get these squared away. I measured both front links at 2.5” and took 2 laps around the block. Now both are sitting at 23” & the rears are about 23 1/8 but I don’t have the energy to worry about 1/8”.

One thing I did notice however, is the passenger side isn’t completely flush. @jmill012 would you mind seeing if this is how yours looks also? I’m wondering if I need to move the sensor like they show on revels instructions or if this is acceptable? (Added drivers side for reference also)

Thanks again for all the help!! I’m going to drive it this weekend and next and recheck to make sure it’s settled properly.

Attachments

• IMG_0654.jpeg
    IMG_0654.jpeg
    114.4 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0656.jpeg
    IMG_0656.jpeg
    130.5 KB · Views: 20

jmill012

Reaction score
Just wanted to thank @E.Hands @jmill012 & eberyone else that helped me get these squared away. I measured both front links at 2.5” and took 2 laps around the block. Now both are sitting at 23” & the rears are about 23 1/8 but I don’t have the energy to worry about 1/8”.

One thing I did notice however, is the passenger side isn’t completely flush. @jmill012 would you mind seeing if this is how yours looks also? I’m wondering if I need to move the sensor like they show on revels instructions or if this is acceptable? (Added drivers side for reference also)

Thanks again for all the help!! I’m going to drive it this weekend and next and recheck to make sure it’s settled properly.

Similar to yours. Revel told me you can hear a click/pop when they set properly. So as long as you hear that you should be good.

Btw. Where did you measure for the 2.5? Revel pre set mine and I measure 2.5 inches red line to red line in the photo attached.

Attachments

• IMG_5705.jpeg
    IMG_5705.jpeg
    136.7 KB · Views: 20

JRD

Reaction score
Similar to yours. Revel told me you can hear a click/pop when they set properly. So as long as you hear that you should be good.

Btw. Where did you measure for the 2.5? Revel pre set mine and I measure 2.5 inches red line to red line in the photo attached.
I did the same thing, I basically went 2.5” from center to center on the link. Glad to hear yours looks similar, I think I’m going to attempt installing an exhaust next lol. I installed one on my old Durango so hopefully it’s similar

E.Hands

Reaction score
Correct but by adding a space up front with the links you end up with the same amount length in the airbag. I added 1/2 inch total to the air bag length in the front and rear when all was said and done. Not enough to make a difference and the ride quality is identical.

In theory I could shorten the length of the front and rear by 1/2 inch and achieve the same “air bag length” as factory.
Correct, air bag length = Psi. inside the bag. Therefore any change to the air bags static length changes it's "effective spring rate" characteristics.
Consider the thought that the engineers used to determine the precise amount of air volume that inside the air bag.
More volume would result in a slower but more linear pressure change during the shocks' travel. And would require stiffer hydraulic valving characteristics inside the shock.
A smaller volume would result in a faster, sharper rise and fall in the "effective sprung weight" that the suspension sees during it's travel.
Everything is a compromise. One reason that the suspension lowers with increased speed is for improved aerodynamics. Another is not just that a lower center of gravity safer but as speed increases the Engineers felt that the ideal compromise was to soften the air suspension even at the expense of trading a little bounce (Compression) travel for rebound (expansion) travel.

IMO, I wouldn't use the links to drastically lift or lower the truck. I think they work great for fine adjustments like: left to right balance or corner jacking.

Last edited:

JRD

Reaction score
Correct, air bag length = Psi. inside the bag. Therefore any change to the air bags static length changes it's "effective spring rate" characteristics.
Consider the thought that the engineers used to determine the precise amount of air volume that inside the air bag.
More volume would result in a slower but more linear pressure change during the shocks' travel. And would require stiffer hydraulic valving characteristics inside the shock.
A smaller volume would result in a faster, sharper rise and fall in the "effective sprung weight" that the suspension sees during it's travel.
Everything is a compromise. One reason that the suspension lowers with increased speed is not just that it is less safe to run that ride height at higher speeds but as speed increases they feel that the ideal compromise is to soften the air suspension and trade a little bounce (Compression) travel for rebound (expansion) travel.

IMO, I wouldn't use the links to drastically lift or lower the truck. I think they work great for fine adjustments like: left to right balance or corner jacking.
My dumbass thought it lowered for better MPG lol

E.Hands

Reaction score
My dumbass thought it lowered for better MPG lol

It’s called aero mode. Short for aerodynamic… so either we both are dumbasses or Ram meant for us to be confused 😂

You are both very much correct.
Ask yourself why all the NASCAR trucks ride like this?
One of the major reasons that trucks don't get better mileage on the highway is due to the fact that poor aerodynamics increases the coefficient of drag exponentially with speed.
Where as the Hemi may be more efficient at the higher RPM (think 3.92 diff) but the aero drag load is so much greater at that increased speed. Check your MPG at 55 MPH compared to 75 MPH.

1712055485655.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/