5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air conditioning performance

Dmalonecentral

Reaction score
****! $40?

Didn’t seem that unreasonable if it’s truly washable. But I would have paid double that knowing how much it made a difference.

Funny thing is I had a 16 Ram that I had to do a mod on to put in a filter. It didn’t even have one.

VegasRob55

Reaction score
"An improved HVAC system generates 25% more airflow at lower noise levels while also giving rear passengers 50% more airflow than current models." That quote is from an article I wrote January 15th. FCA says this is an all new HVAC system and flows more air than the 4th gen trucks.
There's zero chance that statement is true

Synergy26

Reaction score
Does anyone have the air conditioning, performance / diagnostic and testing for the 2020 ecodiesel engine? The one I found in here is for the 5.7, or is it the same?

jimk hunt

Reaction score
Is that the Muzzy thing? If so I just ordered and will be here on Sunday. As well as a new K&N Cabin Filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No this is much simpler. I bought a 4 pack of clamps from Harbor Freight and used the large clamp. Remove it in the winter and you won't have any damage to the hose. Works great and cheap. Remember to take it off when you go to the dealer for service. A/C hack video

Dmalonecentral

Reaction score
No this is much simpler. I bought a 4 pack of clamps from Harbor Freight and used the large clamp. Remove it in the winter and you won't have any damage to the hose. Works great and cheap. Remember to take it off when you go to the dealer for service. A/C hack video

Thanks. We have a harbor freight close to my house. Did the same. A/C is about 10 degrees cooler. I may make it through another Phoenix summer.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Push for the TSB. It is definitely worth it. I haven’t had my hack installed since. It worked well, but sometimes I want to use the defroster
Truck was built sometime in july-september '20 as a '21, wife was complaining it isn't cold enough, I agree. Is the TSB to replace a bunch of housings and ductwork? Appears so from the TSB listed a few posts above yours? I really don't want somebody digging around in the interior breaking plastic crap. If necessary, I'd do the Muzzy AC hack first.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Truck was built sometime in july-september '20 as a '21, wife was complaining it isn't cold enough, I agree. Is the TSB to replace a bunch of housings and ductwork? Appears so from the TSB listed a few posts above yours? I really don't want somebody digging around in the interior breaking plastic crap. If necessary, I'd do the Muzzy AC hack first.
Yes TSB 24-001-20 is what was done to my truck. They have to pull the dash out to perform these repairs.

Dmalonecentral

Reaction score

I just did the Harbor Freight hose clamp because it was easier and I can say that never in the 3 and a half years of owning this truck have I ever had to turn the AC up because it was too cold. Holy Cow what a difference that made. Granted it was only 80-90’s when I drove it this morning but it really makes a difference and takes 1 minute to put on. That and I can’t recommend the K&N cabin filter enough. I am no longer dreading a Phoenix Summer in this truck.

ZonaRam44

Reaction score
I'm taking my truck into the dealer tomorrow for the TSB. Fingers crossed they don't BS me. This will be my third attempt. First on was before the TSB so they told me to kick rocks. Second, they said my coolant was low and if the performance didn't improve after being topped off I could try a third time. Anyway, I have the TSB printed out so I can hand it to them and say the bullet point issues are exactly what I'm experiencing. Wish me luck! 🤣
I'm happy to report I got the TSB done and I'm glad I did. The dealer gave me some push back, but I told them to make it happen. I was a little worried because none of the "advisors" really knew what I was talking about and they didn't know if they had performed the TSB before. They said they would put their most experienced tech on it so I rolled the dice. The dash looks fine and there are no new rattles or sounds. The temperatures are lower for sure and because of the advice of this thread I picked up a K&N cabin filter, which seemed to increase air flow. All in all I'm happy, over 100* in Phx and for the first time in 3 summers I'm having to turn the fan speed down to 4-5 on longer drives. Worth the risk.

Dmalonecentral

Reaction score
I'm happy to report I got the TSB done and I'm glad I did. The dealer gave me some push back, but I told them to make it happen. I was a little worried because none of the "advisors" really knew what I was talking about and they didn't know if they had performed the TSB before. They said they would put their most experienced tech on it so I rolled the dice. The dash looks fine and there are no new rattles or sounds. The temperatures are lower for sure and because of the advice of this thread I picked up a K&N cabin filter, which seemed to increase air flow. All in all I'm happy, over 100* in Phx and for the first time in 3 summers I'm having to turn the fan speed down to 4-5 on longer drives. Worth the risk.

Did they perform the TSB out of warranty? I am out of Original warranty but have an extended Mopar Warranty. Not sure if it will cover that or not.

ZonaRam44

Reaction score
Did they perform the TSB out of warranty? I am out of Original warranty but have an extended Mopar Warranty. Not sure if it will cover that or not.
I was still under the 3 year warranty for this one so I couldn't say for sure. If you have an extended warranty you might just have to pay a deductible depending on your plan. I would say talk to the dealer and see what they say.

GARebel19

Reaction score
That makes me feel a little better. I dropped my truck off at the dealer this morning for the TSB and for them to replace the blower motor which has become loud. They ordered the parts for the TSB a month ago and surprisingly it was not hard to convince them to do it. I never felt that my A/C was that bad but they said they measured a difference from the drivers and passenger side vents so they would do it. They called me this afternoon stating they weren't going to finish today which is fine. I just hope they get it all back together like it was because I had no rattles or squeaks of any kind. My warranty ends Wednesday.

mcat79

Reaction score
I took my new ‘22 on its first trip this weekend where it was in the 80’s and 90’s and noticed that when I was stopped/idle the AC got noticeably warmer and more humid. While moving it was fine. Is this normal?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I took my new ‘22 on its first trip this weekend where it was in the 80’s and 90’s and noticed that when I was stopped/idle the AC got noticeably warmer and more humid. While moving it was fine. Is this normal?
That's when your etorque stops the motor you lose AC. Hit the button near your shifter to turn it off and it still stay running. The AC will not be as strong at idle but shouldn't be humid. Recirc helps a ton also

Last edited:

GARebel19

Reaction score
Update on my hell. My truck still isn't done and I'm out of patience! The dealer has had it 5 days and all they were doing was the A/C TSB and looking into why the blower motor is loud. Every day has been stalling and them telling me it's not ready. Talked the guy on my way home and he says they are busy and it most likely won't be done tomorrow either and he cant say when it will be. He said they haven't determined why the blower motor is so loud but they are hoping the TSB will fix that. In other words my truck has been sitting at the dealer all week and they have done next to nothing. They won't give me a loaner and I am getting married next week and now I have no vehicle for all the running around I still need to do for that. End rant.

Users who are viewing this thread