5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air conditioning performance

Cudapower

Reaction score
Took my 2019 in out of warranty, The air just doesnt keep up at 90 + degrees so I wanted the blend doors checked. The dealer checked it out and said both the high and low side valves had small leaks in them so changing valves and hoses is going to stick me 1400 bucks. I could probably just added freon but I want to keep the truck and decided to take the hosing. I don't make hundreds of percent profit on anything I do I just dont get how dealers can rip people off so bad.

JimD007

Reaction score
My son calles them "the stealer".

If you have not installed an isolation valve for the heater core I would do that for sure before spending that much on the blend doors. I have no doubt they could be better but I get plenty of cooling for me in my 2019 classic Tradesman since I installed the isolation valve. It's much cheaper, of course. I have to close it in the early summer and open it in the fall but that isn't a big deal.

azzx

Reaction score
OK -- the dealer borrowed parts from another truck and completed the work. When I picked it up, it had sat under 115 deg. temp. for few hours, so the first impressions are not good!
I took it for a ride today and did some kitchen thermometer measurements. Readings from all vents are about 48 or so. Much better than before. Driver center vent is at same temp as passenger center vent. Prior to this there was a 8 - 10 degree delta between them
The air flow using AC, Max AC and Auto at max fan speed seems a lot less. not sure about this. can anyone else who has done this weigh in?

Last edited:

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had the 4 door windows tinted Thursday. AC seems better with the tint (rated 88% heat rejection). Got 35% on frontvand put 50% on back. My wife's Highlander has great AC to begin with. She got tinted Friday, same as mine on doors, but got the windshield done, too (with the lightest tint they had, 70%). It was an icebox on low. Huge difference even compared to normal. Temp today was 88 with high humidity. I might go get my windshield done.

azzx

Reaction score
Update:
I am impressed -- after another set of measurements (kitchen thermometer) the lowest reading is around 45 deg or so. it maybe just a un measured perception, the air flow intensity seems less than before. can not quantify it.

Synergy26

Reaction score
OK -- the dealer borrowed parts from another truck and completed the work. When I picked it up, it had sat under 115 deg. temp. for few hours, so the first impressions are not good!
I took it for a ride today and did some kitchen thermometer measurements. Readings from all vents are about 48 or so. Much better than before. Driver center vent is at same temp as passenger center vent. Prior to this there was a 8 - 10 degree delta between them
The air flow using AC, Max AC and Auto at max fan speed seems a lot less. not sure about this. can anyone else who has done this weigh in?
My fan speed seems slower too which seems weird

AV8OR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m alone in my truck 95% of the time and I don’t use AUTO during the hottest days.

I push in the recirculation button, crank down the A/C to the lowest of temperatures and very the fan speed to my liking.

I also keep a Taylor thermometer in the vent to monitor how effective my HVAC is working.

I cut a small thumb size chunk of black foam and use that between the louvers to hold the thermometer.

1653121616452.jpeg

U

User_3336

I’m alone in my truck 95% of the time and I don’t use AUTO during the hottest days.

I push in the recirculation button, crank down the A/C to the lowest of temperatures and very the fan speed to my liking.

I also keep a Taylor thermometer in the vent to monitor how effective my HVAC is working.

I cut a small thumb size chunk of black foam and use that between the louvers to hold the thermometer.

View attachment 129992
Would have been nice to see the thermometer showing the temp output with the A/C **ON"".......

AV8OR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Would have been nice to see the thermometer showing the temp output with the A/C **ON"".......

Normal ops full blast cold and fan speed at #4 is around 48 - 50 degrees.

This will be my first summer with the truck so I’ll have to wait until July and August for a full report.

I like the Taylor thermometer the best because it has no batteries and it reads in the zone I need for watching my temperature of 30 - 120 degrees.

You can get analog food thermometers that look just like mine and read up to 220 degrees but when would you need such a range in a truck?

ramhead

Reaction score
My whole A/C system went out a few days ago - still under original warranty (less than 2 weeks left on it...whew!). Heard back from dealer today - they said the a/c compressor failed and needed replacement (which will take a few a days to get). They also said system may now be "contaminated" (don't know with what and may also need to be replaced) - the service person I spoke with was a 25 yr old girl (smh) who sounded clueless (shocking, I know) - waiting for more info.

Also can't get a loaner - they have them but are booked until Mid July (planned supply/demand issue IMO...they make sure they have very little loaners available so as to tell people "sorry, not sorry").

Anyone else go thru this?? I tried via search here but the search option doesn't work well if at all.

Booch

Reaction score
Dang, 64 pages on this thread. Figured I'd post my 2 cents that this is by far the worse cooling truck I've ever owned. Auto is useless on hot days, it never levels out and just blows full blast forever. Low, recir, a/c seems to help, but it's pretty disappointing.

Can't help but wonder if there's a lack of insulation in this generation compared to previous (maybe to save weight), since these don't seem to tolerate wind noise like previous gens, either.

AV8OR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
High Milage Ram made a video on the A/C system cooling issue -

U

User_3336

High Milage Ram made a video on the A/C system cooling issue -

Well, his case was it was the heat from the sunroof, which is prob legit.

What about those who DO NOT have a sunroof? the issue sure doesn't go away or is better in vehicles that have cooling issues.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Dang, 64 pages on this thread. Figured I'd post my 2 cents that this is by far the worse cooling truck I've ever owned. Auto is useless on hot days, it never levels out and just blows full blast forever. Low, recir, a/c seems to help, but it's pretty disappointing.

Can't help but wonder if there's a lack of insulation in this generation compared to previous (maybe to save weight), since these don't seem to tolerate wind noise like previous gens, either.
my 2022 cools down so fast that the wife gets cold
we have already had some 100 degree days

U

User_3336

my 2022 cools down so fast that the wife gets cold
we have already had some 100 degree days
22's are a lot better than previous year models. I wouldn't say I get "cold", but 40 degree vent temps help cool down the cab better.

Ickabod

Reaction score

The A/C issue has been a problem since the 5th gen's came out. That is why there is a 61 page thread on the A/C Hack.

INVISBLE

Reaction score
There is a TSB for the 5th GEN's to replace the entire inside a/c system, they basically change everything to a 2021 model and it works because on a 100 degree day in my all black RAM, it will blow down to 45 degrees fairly quickly on fan speed 4 or 5. It was like pulling teeth and it took literally 2 months for them to get the parts in(apparently they can only do one of these TSB repairs at a time?), but it works sooo much better now. If I can find it, I will post it up, but it is listed in one of the a/c posts on here somewhere because that is where I originally found out about it.

Users who are viewing this thread