5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air conditioning performance

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not understanding the question, but, its an a/c thermometer showing the TEMP coming out of the VENT, and it was taken using my cell phone. It was 90 degrees that day, not very humid. this was after about 20 minutes of driving. This was about 11:45am.
I just wanted to know what kind of camera you were using. I tried to take pictures of mine the other day and my digital camera would not focus. I didn't think to try my cell phone.

Thanks for the response.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 035551 miles.

U

User_3336

Most people would carry a cell phone (which always has some kind of camera), other than a digital camera.

Mine's a Galaxy, so it takes pretty good pictures with minimal fuss and focusing.

I just wanted to know what kind of camera you were using. I tried to take pictures of mine the other day and my digital camera would not focus. I didn't think to try my cell phone.

Thanks for the response.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 035551 miles.

RVJ

Reaction score
The 58 degrees would be within spec IF the outside temperature was over 100 degrees F. Was it?

Even at 100 degrees the vent outlet temp should be 55 degrees.

Best regards,
Dusty
When I dropped the truck off it was 7am and 73 degrees, when I picked up it was mid afternoon and probably around 90 degrees. I don't know exactly when it was tested.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I must have got lucky with mine, here in MA,(south shore), it's been B-R-U-T-A-L, last few days, around 90, but with humidity like 100%, I mean, one minute outside and your t-shirt is soaked....was driving around with temp set at 68 on "auto", and truck was beautiful inside.

PostPremium

Reaction score
View attachment 58148 View attachment 58149
Driving to work this morning. 68 degrees and per weather app, 92% humidity. Fan speed 1, A/C, set on upper and lower vents. First picture drivers side, about 46-48 degrees. Second picture passenger side, about 42-44 degrees.
Just for reference my wife’s Durango last night got 45 degrees....
Again, not everyone has a problem.
Even The Flintstones were adequately cooled in their vehicle when it was in the 60s. Post some photos when temps are nearing triple digits.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
SERIOUSLY! Did he say 68 degrees the day he was testing a/c performance???
Very thankful to have a comfortable interior within 2 min on a sunny triple-digit afternoon. I’m sure my Covercraft sunshade and ventilated seats helped. And I typically keep the sunroof shade closed this time of year.

Reactions: Jtr

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
SERIOUSLY! Did he say 68 degrees the day he was testing a/c performance???
Ha. We want see 68 degrees here in Central Texas, even at night, until about the first of October. We’re lucky if it gets down into the mid-70s at night. Just checked the weather and it’s 102 right now.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There's a difference between a design flaw in the Ram AC system and the Ram AC system not performing as designed. After studying the AC system description it's quickly evident that the Ram housing design is highly conventional and the same as most other systems (using the same number of blend and mode doors, for example), with the exception of its actual form.

Mention of the so-called "hack," which blocks off hot coolant to the heater core, removes proximity heat from the housing. I discussed this with a auto AC tech. over the weekend and he seemed to think the problem was most likely, as it always is, a controls issue. He told me that the 'hack' was not new, it had been used on other makes and models in the past and that heater cores are always close to the air stream. When I researched the the Ram system I found there are quite a few sensors and control modules that could impact the problem some are seeing. If the AC system pressures are within range and the compressor clutch is engaging, any issue must be in airflow control. It would not surprise me if there's a software update sometime in the future.

DESCRIPTION AND OPERATION - CONTROLS
DESCRIPTION

Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC) System Controls Operational Video

The HVAC system controls consist of the following components:

Component Index

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 035838 miles.

Tomphot

Reaction score
I must also be a lucky one, it's been in the 90's in ATL - AC is just fine, I need to adjust it so it doesn't get too cold in the truck.

jimk hunt

Reaction score
There's a difference between a design flaw in the Ram AC system and the Ram AC system not performing as designed. After studying the AC system description it's quickly evident that the Ram housing design is highly conventional and the same as most other systems (using the same number of blend and mode doors, for example), with the exception of its actual form.

Mention of the so-called "hack," which blocks off hot coolant to the heater core, removes proximity heat from the housing. I discussed this with a auto AC tech. over the weekend and he seemed to think the problem was most likely, as it always is, a controls issue. He told me that the 'hack' was not new, it had been used on other makes and models in the past and that heater cores are always close to the air stream. When I researched the the Ram system I found there are quite a few sensors and control modules that could impact the problem some are seeing. If the AC system pressures are within range and the compressor clutch is engaging, any issue must be in airflow control. It would not surprise me if there's a software update sometime in the future.

DESCRIPTION AND OPERATION - CONTROLS
DESCRIPTION

Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC) System Controls Operational Video

The HVAC system controls consist of the following components:

Component Index

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 035838 miles.
If it was as simple as a software update, my guess is it would have been done long ago. If that's the eventual real solution, then I'll make my appt and remove my clamp. Fingers crossed.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If it was as simple as a software update, my guess is it would have been done long ago. If that's the eventual real solution, then I'll make my appt and remove my clamp. Fingers crossed.
Since the AC control design incorporates the Power Train Control Module, I believe software changes require federal testing and certification.

Best regards,
Dusty

PostPremium

Reaction score
From Consumer Reports. Check out the air temperature for a "typical" AC. Perhaps we should alert CR to this issue.

5 Tips to Get the Most Cool From Your Car Air Conditioning
Cold, hard facts about A/C and how to make it work for you
By Patrick Olsen
Last updated: July 01, 2020

It’s summer and it's hot, which means your car's air-conditioning system is going to get a workout. But there's an art to cooling your car correctly. The engineers at the CR Auto Testing Center have some handy tips to help you cool your car faster while burning less fuel.
1. Don’t Pre-Cool
Your car air conditioning works much better when you're actually driving, because the faster the engine turns, the faster the A/C compressor runs, which lets the system cool more effectively. Don't waste time and gas by letting your car run before you go.
If the interior is really hot, crank up the fan when you start driving, and open just the rear windows for 10 to 20 seconds. This forces all the hot air out of the cabin. Don’t open the front windows—that only moves the heat out of the front of the car, and it will leave the air in the back of the cabin hot and stagnant.
2. Go Low
Setting to the lowest temp and adjusting the fan makes the car air conditioning more efficient, will dry out the air less, and can actually save some fuel. Why's that? In a typical A/C system, the air is cooled to 38 degrees. If you set the temp higher, you are actually forcing the system to re-heat your air, which takes more effort, burning more fuel.
3. Don't Recirculate
If you have passengers in the back seat, turn off the recirculation mode. This takes air from the front of the cabin and pulls it back through the system, so even though everyone up front stays cool, the air in the back can get stale and hot.
4. Turn Off Stop/Start
If you’ve got a newer car that has an auto start/stop system, turn it off. This feature saves fuel, but it can also keep the car air conditioning compressor from running when it shuts the engine off. In very hot weather, you can begin to notice the lack of cool air very quickly, especially if you're stuck at a lengthy stoplight, or in stop-and-go traffic that's barely moving.
5. Make Sure Your Filter's Clean
Next time you get the chance, check your cabin air filter to make sure it’s clean. A dirty filter prevents optimal airflow. In newer cars, these filters are relatively easy to check on; if you see a lot of dirt accumulated on it, it's time to change it. You can save money if you can replace the filter yourself—in many modern cars the filter is accessible behind the glove compartment. But that's not always the case. In some vehicles, such as the first-generation Honda Pilot, the entire dash must be removed in order to get at the cabin air filter, and that's not a job for the faint of heart.
Bonus: Automatic Climate Control
If you have automatic climate control, lowering the temp doesn't make the car cool off faster. Most systems will do all the fan and temp adjustments automatically, so you can just set it and forget it.

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
1. Don’t Pre-Cool
Your car air conditioning works much better when you're actually driving, because the faster the engine turns, the faster the A/C compressor runs, which lets the system cool more effectively. Don't waste time and gas by letting your car run before you go.
If the interior is really hot, crank up the fan when you start driving, and open just the rear windows for 10 to 20 seconds. This forces all the hot air out of the cabin. Don’t open the front windows—that only moves the heat out of the front of the car, and it will leave the air in the back of the cabin hot and stagnant.

Not sure about the rest but this one is totally false.

After a nice remote start and waiting 5-10 minutes it is much more comfortable to enter the truck. :)

PostPremium

Reaction score
Not sure about the rest but this one is totally false.

After a nice remote start and waiting 5-10 minutes it is much more comfortable to enter the truck. :)
Technically, it's not false. The system will cool the cab quicker and more efficiently in their method. The trade-off is you start off in a hot car.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Don't recirculate? I'm not sure about that one, when I recirculate in any car, it seems cooler.

As for my RAM, was in 100F recently inland, and it was just fine. In fact, I turned up the temp to 67F because I was honestly getting chilly in the truck. And trust me, I'm a big guy and very sensitive to high heat and humidity.

Users who are viewing this thread