5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air conditioning performance

DraKhen99

Reaction score
Yep. I'm accident prone. Also, I rollerbladed all day, every day in college. Because of that, I have 2 bad knees. From working out too rigorously, I have a bad shoulder. Car accidents and sports injuries caused a bad back. On top of all that, my left hip is acting up, tinnitus in both ears real bad, hearing loss, lactose intolerance, gout in the feet, and my teeth are the same strength as chewing gum. At least my vision isn't too bad (astigmatism in both eyes, but not severe).

All this before 40. Growing old is gonna be fun! [sarcasm]

-John

ldoh

Reaction score
Yikes, hopefully online bots won't have a field day with these medical histories.

Flot

Reaction score
I'm the original poster on this thread. Reiterating that my local dealer was able to solve my A/C problems. (on the third trip) According to my work order they:

1) Replaced the blower motor and wheel
2) Evac and recharged system
3) No idea if they actually reflashed with the TSB update, but I think they did, as a couple other things seem to have improved on my truck as well that were identified in other TSBs I brought them

After 3 weeks, I can report that even in hot florida weather my AC now performs as one would expect a brand new vehicle to. Not the coldest I've ever owned but definitely to the point where I would not have started this thread a year ago.

I guess the message is - keep riding your local dealers. There IS a solution that doesn't involve ripping the dash out.

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm the original poster on this thread. Reiterating that my local dealer was able to solve my A/C problems. (on the third trip) According to my work order they:

1) Replaced the blower motor and wheel
2) Evac and recharged system
3) No idea if they actually reflashed with the TSB update, but I think they did, as a couple other things seem to have improved on my truck as well that were identified in other TSBs I brought them

After 3 weeks, I can report that even in hot florida weather my AC now performs as one would expect a brand new vehicle to. Not the coldest I've ever owned but definitely to the point where I would not have started this thread a year ago.

I guess the message is - keep riding your local dealers. There IS a solution that doesn't involve ripping the dash out.

Have you ever actually put a thermometer in your drivers dash vent to see what the temp it’s blowing actually is? Statements like feels colder, not the coldest but good enough , etc aren’t confirming statements that the system is fixed. We all know there’s a 10 deg difference between the heater core blocked off and not blocked off , if they are able to get the AC blowing low to mid 40’s with no valve then it is in fact improved.

Flot

Reaction score
Have you ever actually put a thermometer in your drivers dash vent to see what the temp it’s blowing actually is? Statements like feels colder, not the coldest but good enough , etc aren’t confirming statements that the system is fixed. We all know there’s a 10 deg difference between the heater core blocked off and not blocked off , if they are able to get the AC blowing low to mid 40’s with no valve then it is in fact improved.

If I thought there was any chance the dealer would have fixed it, I would have gone to greater lengths to capture my "before" temps. I have owned the truck for 15 months and complained about the AC for 14 months. Finally after the 3rd trip to the dealer, AC performance is good enough that I am happy driving my truck around in 90-95 degree weather.

I have put a thermometer in my dash vent. Good luck holding the engine at 1000 rpm for the 5 minutes it takes to get down to temp when the system isn't performing, and good luck figuring out the actual outside temperature and relative humidity, to then use in a table which has huge jumps that are wide enough that the dealer can say almost anything is "within spec." I don't have a garage, so I can't control the heat load of the dashboard, windsheild, etc, and we've seen time and time again that posters in this thread can't either.

My point in replying (a few times) is that the dealer was able, finally, to get my AC system to acceptable performance without any major surgery. I wish I had more details but unfortunately they are pretty terrible with things like that, they had my truck for 4 days and only managed to fix half the items on my list. The biggest surprise to me was that they said they replaced the blower motor assembly - which a poster 8-10 months ago had also reported made a big change for him. It would be very interesting if someone managed to dig in and find out if the blower wheel itself was somehow different. Other than that all I have to go on is refrigerant levels and the TSB.

Last edited:

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What you are describing is pretty weird. Blower motor has nothing to do with how cold your AC blows unless it’s not blowing any air. And you haven’t conveyed an actual repair to the AC system from a 4 day service department visit for lack of AC that would explain why you “think” it feels more tolerable. Not attacking you just trying to understand what you are saying.

Flot

Reaction score
What you are describing is pretty weird. Blower motor has nothing to do with how cold your AC blows unless it’s not blowing any air. And you haven’t conveyed an actual repair to the AC system from a 4 day service department visit for lack of AC that would explain why you “think” it feels more tolerable. Not attacking you just trying to understand what you are saying.

You can keep arguing with me all you want, or you can take the data point that on my third visit to get it fixed, my otherwise incompetent dealer did in fact fix my AC.

I agree with you on the blower motor - unless of course the blower wheel was dramatically redesigned that somehow changed airflow within the box. Without the old and new part to compare, that’s pure conjecture.

All I can report is what the dealer said they did. Which was replacing the blower assembly and evacuate/recharge. I can’t prove that they actually did either of those and I certainly can’t verify that they performed any tsb steps.

The problem with asking users on here to measure their vent temps is that nobody is doing it with any degree of repeatability. I would love to have good data, but we don’t. What I can say is that for the first time in over a year, the AC system “feels about as good as” the dozen other vehicles I’ve owned. I can get vent temps but since the last time I did it was months ago, I feel like they won’t be particularly useful.

Last edited:

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The problem with asking users on here to measure their vent temps is that nobody is doing it with any degree of repeatability. I would love to have good data, but we don’t.

I’m not arguing with you, just trying to figure out exactly what they did that you now perceive it as fixed. Was it low on Freon, overcharged on Freon? There is no current TSB other than the one from over a year ago. There’s no science to figuring out what the vent temp is, you don’t even need to do their ridiculous 1000 rpm hold to determine anything. Mine blows mid to high 50’s at idle in the factory configuration and 43-44 at idle with the valve closed at say 85-90 deg. For example, If it blew 44 at idle in the factory configuration I would say it’s fixed.

dmodem

Reaction score
Here's my story: My A/C was extremely warm during hot/humid days, and Ram opened a case. When I took my Ram in for the airbag recall, I also wanted them to review A/C performance. After testing, they agreed there was an issue and ended up keeping the truck for a week. Upon receiving a call that they replaced "a bunch of parts", they stated it's now working fine and was test driven by the Service Mgr., who mentioned he recorded 49 degree temps from the driver's vent.

Upon picking up the Ram and driving home on a warm, humid day, the A/C still felt warm and later that evening I measured driver's side air temps which measured in the high 60 degree range. I reached back out to the dealer and Ram, who stated I should return it once the weather is warm and humid for more testing. Lo and behold our weather has since cooled into the high 70s / low 80s with minimal humidity, and although the A/C will blow cool in those temps, it's definitely nowhere near cold nor adequate to cool the cab. Upon a weekend hour-long trip and the A/C's climate control set to 64 degrees, the system did nothing during the period but blow the fan at its highest speed and the cab never reached temperature.

I have no issues with communication or what Ram or the dealer has done to this point, but due to no high/humid temperatures on the horizon which limits my ability to replicate the high vent temps, Ram closed the case last evening. My concern at this point is nothing will progress on a legitimate fix over the next 8-10 months until, once again, the issue will arise late next spring / early summer.

FCA has to undoubtedly be aware there's an issue with many Rams at this point, and the lack of addressing an actual remedy is disconcerting.

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m not arguing with you, just trying to figure out exactly what they did that you now perceive it as fixed. Was it low on Freon, overcharged on Freon? There is no current TSB other than the one from over a year ago. There’s no science to figuring out what the vent temp is, you don’t even need to do their ridiculous 1000 rpm hold to determine anything. Mine blows mid to high 50’s at idle in the factory configuration and 43-44 at idle with the valve closed at say 85-90 deg. For example, If it blew 44 at idle in the factory configuration I would say it’s fixed.
I've had one of these clipped in the vent of every vehicle I've owned for the past 30 years. And it's now in my driver's side center vent in the Ram. Prior to clamping the hose, it would get no cooler than 55 - 56 degrees. It now consistently shows 46 - 47 degrees even on 110 plus degree days with fairly high humidity.

ac1dd

Reaction score
The problem with asking users on here to measure their vent temps is that nobody is doing it with any degree of repeatability. I would love to have good data, but we don’t. What I can say is that for the first time in over a year, the AC system “feels about as good as” the dozen other vehicles I’ve owned. I can get vent temps but since the last time I did it was months ago, I feel like they won’t be particularly useful.

The measurements are "good enough" for our purposes, you simply run the car with AC on for at least 20 minutes
with recirculate on, and a medium blower speed put a thermometer preferably with a probe or corded sensor into the
drivers side (center vent) measure, then into the passenger side (center vent) measure. Provide the outdoor ambient temp and humidity.

Thanks, we'd appreciate it friend. :cool:

trook

Reaction score
I just picked up my RAM from the dealer for the 3rd time to fix the AC issue. They kept it for over 2 days this time, and the temps have been in the mid 90's outside. Bottom line: the freon level is perfect, and the driver vent blowing 55 degrees is "within specs".

There is no reason why I should have to keep the A/C on Max for 20-30 minutes before I can turn it down a notch. My 2007 Silverado blows as low as 38-39 degrees as of yesterday and will run you out of the truck in the same conditions.

RAM and FCA definitely need to find a solution fast. I simply expect more from a $60k vehicle, and FCA should as well. Unfortunately, if they don't find a solution fairly soon, I will be forced to consider trading for a different brand that has an A/C that actually works like it should. Everything else on the truck is great.

chalin

Reaction score
Dual Climate Control in these vehicles is a joke. Temps taken after 20 min drive home. It wasn't 99 it was 95 - temp sensor sucks as well. IMG_20190814_165331401_HDR.jpg IMG_20190814_165439361_HDR.jpg

dmodem

Reaction score
So, I made a trip to Harbor Freight today and installed one of these pinch clamps. Guess what? After a 3-4 mile test drive, the A/C was considerably colder. The only 2 things that still disappoint me is that FCA hasn't come up with a fix for this common Ram issue and that I didn't have the 20% Harbor Freight coupon so I paid $7.80.

My only concern at this point is whether the clamp will alter the integrity of the hose.

Attachments

• pinch.jpg
    pinch.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 32

dmodem

Reaction score
...and after 10 months and 9700 miles of ownership, today was the first time I had condensation dripping on my path into the driveway and a puddle honestly appeared under where I parked it.

AndreiV

Reaction score
So as mine, meeting specs, not going to waste time and seek dealer help. Is it not as cold as my other cars?, Absolutely! Is it tolerable in my area for me when 90-100 outside, yes/OK-ish. When 100-105F outside, not so much. Picture taken while driving @40 mph after 3 miles driving on surface streets after work and outside temp most likely was around 93 and not 97. No clamp/valve installed. I keep clamp in center consoles for 105+ days and still debating on permanent valve installation. 20190816_161319.jpg

Last edited:

rraulston

Reaction score
The temp difference from PAX to DVR is annoying.....I want it colder on the DRV side!!!

Attachments

• 20190818_115907.jpg
    20190818_115907.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 44
  • 20190818_115952.jpg
    20190818_115952.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 44

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hoping this gets addressed soon as I'm truck shopping and really love the Ram other than this issue. Really unacceptable for any vehicle much less $50K+ ones.

@RamCares

Users who are viewing this thread