5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air conditioning performance

RebelRam

Reaction score
I just had ceramic tint installed all around on my windows as discussed earlier in this thread. I did 35% llumar on the sides and back. My installer had some 90% 3M to put on the front windshield so I had him do that as well. Didn’t tint the pano sunroof. Windshield is completely clear, he also had an 80% tint with Llumar. But I didn’t like it because it has a slight blue hue to it. I don’t have polarized sunglasses on me to test that out yet.

The difference is a lot more than I expected. First, the car doesn’t feel as heat soaked when sitting in the sun all day, and also when the car is running the A/C seems to be able to make more progress circulating cold air. Probably because it’s not working against so much heat in the truck.

Before if I set my A/C at 68 degrees it would never reach the set point, even on two hours of driving. It would just keep blowing on full blast the whole drive. Now the A/C will actually lower, which i believe indicates it’s reaching the set temp.

Tint was $250 for Llumar on the side windows. $200 for the 3M on the front window. 80% Llumar for front window would have been $100

This is all in NC/VA where we’ve been having 95 to 100 degree days with 100-110 heat indexes.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here's another odd thing I've noticed. Around Houston where it's hot and humid, I get very little condensation from my AC. The other day I was parked with it running for ~10 minutes while I ate lunch. As I pulled away there was a spot of water about the size of a tennis ball. My previous Mercedes would have left at least a basketball size if not bigger.

I've also noticed only very little water in the garage after pulling in when it's been running for some time. Anyone else noticing far less condensation than past vehicles? Wondering how this plays into the reduced cooling.

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
In my opinion in the factory configuration (without a clamp or valve on the heater core hose) the AC is not blowing cold enough to create very much condensation.

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here's another odd thing I've noticed. Around Houston where it's hot and humid, I get very little condensation from my AC. The other day I was parked with it running for ~10 minutes while I ate lunch. As I pulled away there was a spot of water about the size of a tennis ball. My previous Mercedes would have left at least a basketball size if not bigger.

I've also noticed only very little water in the garage after pulling in when it's been running for some time. Anyone else noticing far less condensation than past vehicles? Wondering how this plays into the reduced cooling.
I noticed this too. So I looked at the outlet tube for the condensate and noticed it doesn't stick out very far and located directly beneath it is a heat shield. A good portion of the condensate was dropping down in the heat shield versus dripping on the ground and on really humid days if I left it running in the same spot for long enough Like 10 minutes I would have 2 puddles one below the drain tube and one at the rear of the cab where it was running all the way down the shield. In my case having a leveling kit doesn't help as the truck no longer has the forward lean to help with drainage.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I noticed this too. So I looked at the outlet tube for the condensate and noticed it doesn't stick out very far and located directly beneath it is a heat shield. A good portion of the condensate was dropping down in the heat shield versus dripping on the ground and on really humid days if I left it running in the same spot for long enough Like 10 minutes I would have 2 puddles one below the drain tube and one at the rear of the cab where it was running all the way down the shield. In my case having a leveling kit doesn't help as the truck no longer has the forward lean to help with drainage.
So...were the engineers wise enough to design it such that much of the condensate evaporates off of the heat shield, or was this simply an oversight that may or may not have any undesirable results?

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So...were the engineers wise enough to design it such that much of the condensate evaporates off of the heat shield, or was this simply an oversight that may or may not have any undesirable results?
kind of wondering this myself. not sure if there is some sort of water absorbing material on the back side of that shield that's soaking up the water and the only reason I saw the puddle was because it sat long enough to completely saturate which is my guess since the only time I would see it was when the truck sat for quite a while while running. I just added a little piece of tubing to make sure its not running down the shield anymore.

Ram-bunctious

Reaction score
75a3b81bba2ae142cd980a9ccb71c92d.jpg

Hack installed , nice and cold. I had to use the clamps from HF, as I couldn’t get the dang hose off . The AC feels much better now !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ac1dd

Reaction score

I wonder if the heat shield is hot enough does the condensate actually evaporate off it? Another words steam comes off of the
heat shield and lifts up towards the floor or firewall? That might make a difference somehow. Makes more sense to me that the
condensate would drop right on the ground which might cool the immediate area a little if you would sit and idle there for a period of time. I know it's a tiny amount of ground cooling but still something.

Moparluver

Reaction score
Careful with the home store valves. Some are only rated 180-200*.
I'm using one that's rated to 200 degrees I believe to 400 psi. I think it should be able to handle 210 at 15 psi

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Moparluver

Reaction score
75a3b81bba2ae142cd980a9ccb71c92d.jpg

Hack installed , nice and cold. I had to use the clamps from HF, as I couldn’t get the dang hose off . The AC feels much better now !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I couldn't get the front hose off either, but I did get the back one!

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

ldoh

Reaction score
I just had ceramic tint installed all around on my windows as discussed earlier in this thread. I did 35% llumar on the sides and back. My installer had some 90% 3M to put on the front windshield so I had him do that as well. Didn’t tint the pano sunroof. Windshield is completely clear, he also had an 80% tint with Llumar. But I didn’t like it because it has a slight blue hue to it. I don’t have polarized sunglasses on me to test that out yet.

The difference is a lot more than I expected. First, the car doesn’t feel as heat soaked when sitting in the sun all day, and also when the car is running the A/C seems to be able to make more progress circulating cold air. Probably because it’s not working against so much heat in the truck.

Before if I set my A/C at 68 degrees it would never reach the set point, even on two hours of driving. It would just keep blowing on full blast the whole drive. Now the A/C will actually lower, which i believe indicates it’s reaching the set temp.

Tint was $250 for Llumar on the side windows. $200 for the 3M on the front window. 80% Llumar for front window would have been $100

This is all in NC/VA where we’ve been having 95 to 100 degree days with 100-110 heat indexes.

I just finished the ceramic tint install as well and am very happy with the results - 35% on all doors and sliding glass and limo tint on the pano.

Ramownr86

Reaction score
I work at a shop and recently worked on a truck for the AC performance issue. I wasn’t able to pinpoint the problem, however I did notice a couple of things. First the blend doors were closing all the way so that did not seem to be the problem as alot claim is, used a scope to check. So theres another reason why the hack works but idk what it is, but its not the doors. The second thing I noticed is that Ram dropped the amount of refrigerant used which could be a factor to poor performance.

Brisoup1

Reaction score
I work at a shop and recently worked on a truck for the AC performance issue. I wasn’t able to pinpoint the problem, however I did notice a couple of things. First the blend doors were closing all the way so that did not seem to be the problem as alot claim is, used a scope to check. So theres another reason why the hack works but idk what it is, but its not the doors. The second thing I noticed is that Ram dropped the amount of refrigerant used which could be a factor to poor performance.
The plastic HVAC ductwork underneath the dash isn't exactly air-tight. It could be that when the heater core isn't blocked, the heat from it could be passing into your ductwork.

2wd

Reaction score

Thanks! Great feedback. Do you work at a dealer or independent shop?

Are you still working on this truck? Did topping off refrigerant solve the issue?

Ramownr86

Reaction score
Thanks! Great feedback. Do you work at a dealer or independent shop?

Are you still working on this truck? Did topping off refrigerant solve the issue?
Independent, trucks gone, no as Ram lowered the required refrigerant in the truck for builds after 6/5/18 before was 567g and after is 510g. I can’t see any system changes by part numbers so my guess was for cost purposes.

RebelRam

Reaction score
I just finished the ceramic tint install as well and am very happy with the results - 35% on all doors and sliding glass and limo tint on the pano.

I’m considering going back and having my pano roof done too. I wanted to try it without first. I can definitely tell that any heat coming in from windows is coming from the top now. If I tinted I’d probably do with 50-70% though so I could open the sunshade and let some light in if I wanted to.

The windshield being done was a real surprise to me in how much heat it’s rejecting with a clear tint. It’s obviously not as good as having a sunshade up when the car is parked. But it is way better than before. I put my sunglasses in the top bin above the radio, before they would be scorching hot if I didn’t put up a sunshade. Now they’re just warm after they’ve been sitting there in the parked car.

KcRay

Reaction score
Very interesting, what in the wide wide world of sports could be happening here? With the system producing low 40s with out hot water contamination, seems like the refrigerant fill is not the issue. Keep us posted, even if it is just your educated Theory. thank you for your contribution.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I’m curious...what climate control settings does everyone run, regardless of “hacks”?

I exclusively use Auto mode, most often at 71 degrees, with seat ventilation on LO or HI depending on the day. No A/C mods.

JDBob35a

Reaction score
I’m curious...what climate control settings does everyone run, regardless of “hacks”?

I exclusively use Auto mode, most often at 71 degrees, with seat ventilation on LO or HI depending on the day. No A/C mods.

I always use Auto as well, general have it set at 70, or within a degree of it. Usually bump the seat fan up to high on hotter days. No A/C hack done to mine.

Users who are viewing this thread