5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air conditioning performance

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Brisoup1

Reaction score
The one thing you'll have to do if you bring the truck in for engine/HVAC warranty repair is to remove the Ball Valve to the heater core before bringing it to the dealer because they could deny the claim since you altered the coolant flow to the heater core.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Techguy2000

Reaction score
The dash temp showed 116F outside this afternoon when I jumped in for a heat soaked cabin ride. Max a/c setting provided 70 degrees at the vent output when I arrived at my destination about 10 mins later. I'm curious what the outdoor temp is for FCA's 55F spec.

Advanced Auto didn't have the valve in stock but they ordered it. Hoping it arrives tomorrow.

Spec shows 90 to 100F, above that it's actually 64F vent temp.
Post with the AC test procedure:

Attachments

• 20190715_070135.jpg
    20190715_070135.jpg
    343.4 KB · Views: 35

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
PEX tubing is only rated to 200, I’m pretty sure the all brass valve is rated much higher than the plastic tubing.
Researched a couple. Some are rated 180, some 200, some 300. Just relaying what I saw. Oh and the ball inside the valve may not be brass, probably the limiting factor.

Ordered one rated 300 from amazon.

AndreiV

Reaction score
Also keep in mind that max temp and pressure are all related. Most likely max pressure rating given at specific temp. As collant temp goes up max pressure rating drops.

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think I’m gonna swap mine out for the 4 seasons valve , even though it seems more flimsy. The guy at SharkBite fittings wasn’t sure how the brass would handle antifreeze as the valves are designed for potable or non potable water. For the $10 probably best not to take the chance.

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Spec shows 90 to 100F, above that it's actually 64F vent temp.
Post with the AC test procedure:

According to that spec sheet my truck is not within their specs. I have never seen 45 degrees out of the drivers center vent without the valve regardless of the ambient temp. Most of the time mine read 52-54 deg. At 98 deg ambient it blew 59 deg. It says that at 70 deg it should blow 45 deg, the only way for me to get 45 deg is with the valve closing off the heater core flow, then I get 44 deg. The system is flawed

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score

ldoh

Reaction score
I added the hack and a/c performance is finally normal. I'm letting a little hot water through with a 1/2 turn from closed position but even then the a/c vent was about 51F while the outside dash temp showed 117F (the ram's outside temp reading was about 3-4 degrees hotter than today's expected high).

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
He’s the man.
But for KcRay, many of us would be driving around in luke warm trucks while haggling with dealers and FCA. Even if FCA never acknowledges, much less comes up with a remedy for, our underperforming ACs, I can deal with a clamped off hose for four - five months out of the year. I’ll unclamped it around October 15th. I’m in Central Texas.

Gsmith223

Reaction score
But for KcRay, many of us would be driving around in luke warm trucks while haggling with dealers and FCA. Even if FCA never acknowledges, much less comes up with a remedy for, our underperforming ACs, I can deal with a clamped off hose for four - five months out of the year. I’ll unclamped it around October 15th. I’m in Central Texas.
I had the ear of FCA executive support when mine was in the shop but after the second attempt to make it better failed I just gave up. With this heat wave coming I am going to have to do something though

ac1dd

Reaction score
I had the ear of FCA executive support when mine was in the shop but after the second attempt to make it better failed I just gave up. With this heat wave coming I am going to have to do something though
So what did this regional rep (I assume district service rep) say to you when asked about this issue?
Don't name him of course.

Gsmith223

Reaction score
So what did this regional rep (I assume district service rep) say to you when asked about this issue?
Don't name him of course.
She was executive case support, which is a separate entity I believe. She said they had technicians that would work with the dealership service but she didnt elaborate as to what the issue might be?
I just decided it was good enough and closed the case.

Users who are viewing this thread