5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air conditioning performance

jloops

Ram Guru
Reaction score
July 2018 build, my sticker says 510g. Just got my truck back today, my refrigerant level was 471g so the dealer filled to 510g and recharged my system. I was getting 59-60 temps on the driver side and 52-53 temps on the passenger side.

After the dealer visit temps are consistent 52-53 on both sides. Unfortunately, those temps are within RAM's specs, but it does feel a bit cooler now. However, it's definitely not as cold as any of the previous RAMs I've owned.

RebelRam

Reaction score
I wont be doing any hacks to my AC but I did go with ceramic tint all around, a “clear” on the windshield, then legal ft windows (32% here in NC) and 20% on the rears and back. I can definitely tell a difference fron the windshield having been done, and thats with jus the clear.
Those of you in more tint friendly areas should give it a go. My cost was $500.
I realize the AC hack is substantially cheaper but I wanted the tint anyway.

I’m in Greenville. Getting this done Monday. You notice in differences in visibility from the front windshield being done? I know it’s clear, but I’ve read some people claim Reduced visibility afterwards. Also, did you do your sunroof?

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I’m in Greenville. Getting this done Monday. You notice in differences in visibility from the front windshield being done? I know it’s clear, but I’ve read some people claim Reduced visibility afterwards. Also, did you do your sunroof?
No visibility difference that U can see. It does take a few hours in the sun for the film to smooth out.

No we rarely use the sunroof so I didn't bother.
My son bought his Ltd without a sunroof, that would have been my preference.

RebelRam

Reaction score
No visibility difference that U can see. It does take a few hours in the sun for the film to smooth out.

No we rarely use the sunroof so I didn't bother.
My son bought his Ltd without a sunroof, that would have been my preference.

Yeah, I figured I’d go without tinting the sunroof, since I can close the shade at any time. Considering the front windshield though. My guy using the same tint your guy does. llumar.

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I drove my truck today for 40 min in 94 deg temps with the AC on max AC with recirc on and it was barely cool in the truck. I had to go somewhere with the wife so we met at a place I could park my truck. Her vehicle hadn’t even been running 15 minutes and when I got in it I literally had to increase the temp in hers because it was so cold. That’s the only thing that’s really bothering about this new truck, my AC is never off max AC and recirc during the day and fan is just a blowing away and it never gets cool inside.

ldoh

Reaction score
Regarding ceramic tint, I'm planning to go with Llumar and will do all door windows, back window, panoramic roof, but hold off on front windshield related to funky optics with polarized sunglasses and possible risk of added repair cost from the inevitable windshield rock damage. Apparently there is another film (Clearplex) that can be placed on the outside windshield to protect from rock chipping.

Last edited:

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I drove my truck today for 40 min in 94 deg temps with the AC on max AC with recirc on and it was barely cool in the truck. I had to go somewhere with the wife so we met at a place I could park my truck. Her vehicle hadn’t even been running 15 minutes and when I got in it I literally had to increase the temp in hers because it was so cold. That’s the only thing that’s really bothering about this new truck, my AC is never off max AC and recirc during the day and fan is just a blowing away and it never gets cool inside.
Get it checked out. We've had the same temps, and my AC pulls itself out of Max mode after 15-20 min because truck has cooled off. I leave mine set to Auto. I do close my sunshade to help the system out though.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Regarding ceramic tint, I'm planning to go with Llumar and will do all door windows, back window, panoramic roof, but hold off on front windshield related to funky optics with polarized sunglasses and possible risk of added repair cost from the inevitable windshield rock damage. Apparently there is another film (Clearplex) that can be placed on the outside windshield to protect from rock chipping.

Thanks for the mention of Clearplex. I'd been wondering if PPF could be installed on a windshield to deter chips but hold up to the wipers. Going to check this out.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Was pretty warm and sunny here yesterday so the truck was heat soaked when I jumped in at 4:30pm. I left the temp where it was and let it automatically cool the truck. I'll also add that the ventilated seats make quite a bit of difference for driver comfort.

I have to wonder if the driver's side vents are intentionally warmer due to the placement of the vents in relation to the steering wheel. If the air coming out was any colder, I can imagine people would complain that their hands and arms get too cold. The passenger side doesn't have to be concerned about the passenger's hands being so close to the vents.

My car cools about twice as quick, but the inside volume is about half that of my truck.

I do notice a significant difference in AC temp with the truck moving vs. idling. Perhaps it's the difference between the area cooled by the round fan vs. the overall area of the rectangular condenser? Maybe Ram could change the algorithm for when/how fast the electric cooling fan runs?

Last edited:

RBRK

Reaction score
If you don't hear you cooling fan running very loud when hot or when the temp is set lower, there is a update for the Engine PCM, it will make it run a lot faster and cool a lot better at idle, but then people complain they hear the radiator fan. I had mine done and it was a lot better than last year. I'm a lot happier this year vs last with my A/C.

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone actually had their truck hooked up to some AC gauges to see where the Freon level is at? It really just feels to me like it’s slightly low on Freon. I’ve read all the guys pinching lines and tinting their windows but no mention of actually looking at Freon levels.

Gsmith223

Reaction score
I had the TSB done and it didnt fix it, took it back and they found a leak in a valve. They fixed it and recharged the system. I now cool down while driving but at idle I am right around 55-60 on the drivers side and it still gets hot.

Has anyone actually had their truck hooked up to some AC gauges to see where the Freon level is at? It really just feels to me like it’s slightly low on Freon. I’ve read all the guys pinching lines and tinting their windows but no mention of actually looking at Freon levels.

DraKhen99

Reaction score
If you don't hear you cooling fan running very loud when hot or when the temp is set lower, there is a update for the Engine PCM, it will make it run a lot faster and cool a lot better at idle, but then people complain they hear the radiator fan. I had mine done and it was a lot better than last year. I'm a lot happier this year vs last with my A/C.

This is interesting. I find that my A/C cools reasonably well - it doesn't feel as cold as my F-150, but I leave recirc off and put it in manual mode to get floor/dash vents active, because I like cold air on my feet and am usually smoking a cigar when I drive (when my wife and kids aren't in the truck, obviously). It gets reasonably cool, and like other posters said, the ventilated seats certainly help. I also turn the A/C off at longer stops so I maximize the auto stop/start engine-off time.

Back to the quoted post - that's one of my only complaints about this truck - the radiator fan is loud. I have a March 2019 build, so it probably has the updated Engine PCM programming. Good to know!

In 90+ degree heat, the A/C gets cool enough that it blowing directly at my chest keeps me comfortable. This morning it was only 82 out (or so the truck's display said) and I had the A/C on manual, recirc off, floor/dash vents active, fan speed 5, ventilated seats on. It was COLD in the truck.

-John

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Another thing I'll throw out there is to make sure your rear seat vents are fully opened. I also notice reduced cooling performance in my car whenever the rear vents are closed.

DaMythDaLegend

Reaction score
I would be interested in more info regarding the clear ceramic. I did a little online digging and Llumar came up. I called a local installer and they said Llumar only offers 20% blockage on the front window. Apparently 20% is only available in 4 states. I think Llumar offers a clear tint though so maybe that installer is misinformed or pushing the only product he offers.

llumar clear is 43% heat blockage. The lowest I could get in VA was 35% for the tint version which was 40% heat blockage I believe.

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m almost certain mine is just low on Freon, im getting 52 deg on right side of dash and 54 on left side of dash, 89 deg ambient temp. That’s so bad!

Last edited:

ac1dd

Reaction score
:)

Back to the quoted post - that's one of my only complaints about this truck - the radiator fan is loud. I have a March 2019 build, so it probably has the updated Engine PCM programming. Good to know!

In 90+ degree heat, the A/C gets cool enough that it blowing directly at my chest keeps me comfortable. This morning it was only 82 out (or so the truck's display said) and I had the A/C on manual, recirc off, floor/dash vents active, fan speed 5, ventilated seats on. It was COLD in the truck.

-John

Can you measure the temperature coming out of the drivers side center vent when you have the AC on max cool with recirculate on? Do this while the vehicle is parked outside under a shaded area and temp is around 90 F.
What temp do you see? Thanks!

DraKhen99

Reaction score
:)

Can you measure the temperature coming out of the drivers side center vent when you have the AC on max cool with recirculate on? Do this while the vehicle is parked outside under a shaded area and temp is around 90 F.
What temp do you see? Thanks!

I'll try to do this over the weekend. With 2 little kids, it's hard to find time do do experiments like this - heck, the bulk of my motorcycle riding time is after 9pm when the whole family is asleep LOL.

-John

Texas Woody

Reaction score
I've had the following Xpel window tints applied to my windows:

- Xpel Prime XR Black 35 on all 4 door windows (36% VLT, 99% UV Rejection, 84%-85% IR Rejection, 59% TSER)
- Xpel Prime XR Black 70 on rear windows (68% VLT, 99% UV Rejection, 88%-89% IR Rejection, 49% TSER)
- Xpel Prime XR Plus 45 on both sunroof panels (45% VLT, 99% UV Rejection, 97% IR Rejection, 58% TSER)
- Xpel Prime XR Plus 70 on windshield (67% VLT, 99% UV Rejection, 92%-94% IR Rejection, 52% TSER)

These specs stack up against just about any other film out there, especially at their respective VLT (Visible Light Transmission) levels. Highly recommended.

Nonetheless, leaving my truck outside in this Texas heat, the top of the instrument panel still reads 140 degrees in the heat of the afternoon. Not much different than the exterior hood paint temp of 150 degrees! The lesson - window tint won't prevent your vehicle from heating up like a mofo when it's hot and sunny outside! HOWEVER - once you get the temps cooled off inside the cab, the AC doesn't have to work as hard to maintain. And I get extra UV and IR protection for the leather and plastic surfaces (should add to the life of these surfaces since my truck doesn't go in the garage at my house).

Yesterday I decided to get out the meat thermometer and run my truck down the freeway at 70 mph while the outside temp read 101 degrees, and see how well the AC would do. I set the climate control to Auto mode, recirculate on, temp selector to LO, and max ventilated driver's seat. Here were the results:

- Driver's vent next to 12" screen = 51.8 degrees
- Driver's vent next to driver's door = 49.6 degrees
- Passenger's vent next to 12" screen = 47.7 degrees
- Passenger's vent next to passenger's door = couldn't reach

When I got home, and after parked in my driveway and letting the temps settle in, here's what they were:

- Driver's vent next to 12" screen = 58.8 degrees
- Driver's vent next to driver's door = 56.8 degrees
- Passenger's vent next to 12" screen = 55.0 degrees
- Passenger's vent next to passenger's door = 57.9 degrees

Interesting results, eh? Clearly our AC units cannot keep up when air is not flowing through the engine bay...

timtlu

Reaction score
Narrowing the sticker change from 567g to 510g to be somewhere between May 18 and July 18.

Timeframe might allude to a Ram making a change in sticker/AC workings in response to people complaining of poor air conditioning performance at onset of summer 18?

Users who are viewing this thread