5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air conditioning performance

ac1dd

Reaction score
Yeah - I'm very skeptical of that work order... .0515 vs .0567? What's he measuring in? Deca-kilograms? 510g is .51Kg, not .051.

However, the difference between .515g and .567g is .125lbs, or the difference between 1.125lbs. and 1.25lbs. So, is a 2oz. undercharge (0.125lbs = 2 oz.), or 10%, enough to make such a difference? I'm not sure... but I doubt it.

Good point, although r1234yf is sensitive to accurate charge 2 oz is probably not enough to pose a serious challenge to
accurate cooling, it COULD, but I doubt it. Most mobile HVAC systems functioning correctly will naturally lose between .25 -.50 ounces per year, so I would guess that mfrs would design in for such loses before the warranty runs out so that the AC still performs satisfactorily.

A bigger question is....is the service manual INCORRECT?!?!?!
It happens, and it not uncommon.

I'm curious what was the correct charge for the 4th gen Ram 1500? But I think that uses the old r134a refrigerant.

c_attle

Reaction score
Yeah - I'm very skeptical of that work order... .0515 vs .0567? What's he measuring in? Deca-kilograms? 510g is .51Kg, not .051.

However, the difference between .515g and .567g is .125lbs, or the difference between 1.125lbs. and 1.25lbs. So, is a 2oz. undercharge (0.125lbs = 2 oz.), or 10%, enough to make such a difference? I'm not sure... but I doubt it.

I was having major cooling issues and after they performed the dye check TSB, evacuated and measured I was 6% below spec. After the recharge to proper specs it made a massive difference. Am very happy with cooling now minus sitting at idle. If I’m not in motion it still sucks. I agree with a lot of the other folks here; there’s def a software issue(s) that need to be addressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I wont be doing any hacks to my AC but I did go with ceramic tint all around, a “clear” on the windshield, then legal ft windows (32% here in NC) and 20% on the rears and back. I can definitely tell a difference fron the windshield having been done, and thats with jus the clear.
Those of you in more tint friendly areas should give it a go. My cost was $500.
I realize the AC hack is substantially cheaper but I wanted the tint anyway.

Magredvet

Reaction score
that's because your truck is sensing it's hit the 70 in the cab and switches to just fan circulation without a/c. you asked for 70..you got 70 and then you're mad it turned off? It works the same way in a house...
I would agree...................except, there was no way it was 70 deg in the cab. I have made this trip many many times, and have had 6 different Rams............... believe me this is NOT normal.
Think what you want but some of these trucks have a definite AC issue !

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
He posted the new sticker and it is clearly a different charge than my sticker. Ram possibly made a mistake in the spec and even some of the service manuals have the 1.125 number. According to this photo 1.25 lbs is correct, not 1.125. We just need to know what's going on.

Last edited:

Tom488

Reaction score
I'm curious what was the correct charge for the 4th gen Ram 1500? But I think that uses the old r134a refrigerant.
My 2009 service manual (1st year of the 4th gen) calls for 728g (1.604lb.) of r134a - for whatever that's worth.

timtlu

Reaction score
I posted in the other thread with an explanation for the two stickers. Looks like it got updated at some point from version AA to version AB, with a decrease in the AC charge. The questions are when, why, and was this the correct decision or a mistake?

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As I reason, the change in the stickers means either the first sticker was incorrect (and potentially the charge level which could help explain the rash of cooling issues), or Ram made a change in the AC system at some point to possibly remedy the same. We just need to figure out which one happened.

ac1dd

Reaction score
Another thing to take into consideration is the activity and speed of the condenser fan...
When the high heat index is present does the condenser fan go into high speed mode?
Usually when the temp/humidity increases to a certain point the condenser fan will speed up to help cooling ability
can anyone here compare their AC on while at temps below 80 and then above 90 F? does the fan speed up at the upper 80s F ambient temp?

timtlu

Reaction score
Another thing to take into consideration is the activity and speed of the condenser fan...
When the high heat index is present does the condenser fan go into high speed mode?
Usually when the temp/humidity increases to a certain point the condenser fan will speed up to help cooling ability
can anyone here compare their AC on while at temps below 80 and then above 90 F? does the fan speed up at the upper 80s F ambient temp?

Not sure exactly if this is what you are looking for, but I'm in south Texas. The only driving I've done is between 90 and 105 degrees ambient outside temp to this point, almost always in excess of 60% humidity. I only use auto, typically set about 67 when I start truck. After about one or two minutes of the fan blowing cool upon engine start, something religiously kicks in and it starts blowing harder and colder by itself.

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had a day yesterday where we hit 98 degrees with a heat index approaching 110. I hit the max a/c on upon starting the truck and the recirc kicked on and I was getting some relatively cool air within a few minutes. About 5 minutes later I kicked it to "auto" and had it set to 70 degrees and I could tell the blend door opened up and warmer and more humid air struck with a fervor. There was no way the cabin temp was below 70 degrees to justify the warmer and more humid air flow. Maybe on days like those yesterday, the only option is to run max ac. Just some random thoughts- and I did not test with a temp gauge, just forwarding on my subjective impressions.

ldoh

Reaction score
I wont be doing any hacks to my AC but I did go with ceramic tint all around, a “clear” on the windshield, then legal ft windows (32% here in NC) and 20% on the rears and back. I can definitely tell a difference fron the windshield having been done, and thats with jus the clear.
Those of you in more tint friendly areas should give it a go. My cost was $500.
I realize the AC hack is substantially cheaper but I wanted the tint anyway.

I would be interested in more info regarding the clear ceramic. I did a little online digging and Llumar came up. I called a local installer and they said Llumar only offers 20% blockage on the front window. Apparently 20% is only available in 4 states. I think Llumar offers a clear tint though so maybe that installer is misinformed or pushing the only product he offers.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score

We've been routinely over 95 for about two weeks and I can definitely tell the fan is running higher than it previously had. I don't know it it's at top speed or not but you can definitely hear it with the window down (which is not that often.)

Texas Woody

Reaction score
Here’s my sticker. Ordered and built May 2019, June 2019 delivery to dealer.
f3a87d2479d968f3912c2e05c5ce2729.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gencon

Reaction score
Well, dropped my Ram off at the dealer for a couple of issues this week, one of them was poor A/C performance. I realized I've had my A/C on "lo" temp and recirc almost since I bought it, which is not normal. I've also noticed that the air coming out of the vents when on non-recirc feels a bit humid/clammy. My best comparison was today, as I drove the base nissan loaner back to them and then my own truck home, the A/C in the Nissan felt better.

Dealer said "system was performing to spec" and I didn't have time to deal with them. It does look like they took the caps off the pressure lines under the hood. Any other ideas? Seems like I'm going to have to get a temperature probe and find another 2019 in person to do a side by side with. Trouble is, it isn't a deal-breaker, it isn't actually "broken", it just does not feel as good as my 2011 Ram. (or as any new high $ vehicle should)

Anyone have a way to find out what the temperature differential should be?
I bought my 2019 limited in December. The AC for this truck is not one I would cheer about. I found that you need to put it on high and recirc for 15 to 30 minutes to get your truck cooled off, even in high 70 and low 80 degree weather. After a while, it does cool off and you can remove recirc ( max AC) and lower blower. I recommend you fire up the seat coolers ( a fan in the seats that draws the air through them) helps cool you off.

But, yeah, you are stuck with a mediocre system

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I would be interested in more info regarding the clear ceramic. I did a little online digging and Llumar came up. I called a local installer and they said Llumar only offers 20% blockage on the front window. Apparently 20% is only available in 4 states. I think Llumar offers a clear tint though so maybe that installer is misinformed or pushing the only product he offers.
Could be as it was Lumar.

Users who are viewing this thread