5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air conditioning performance

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
See attached.
Hi...I quoted this and a member is asking where I got it, so I have a couple questions. .Where did this procedure come from? Is it official FCA service documentation? Is there a newer version as this is at least 10 months old? I don't see any dates printed on it so didn't know if it as latest. Lots of folks with warm ac temps (warmer for driver center than passenger center vents) Thanks!!!

Last edited:

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the info - can you tell me where this document comes from?
Actually this came from member "I Love Grits" in this same thread on page 2 posted July 20,2018 nearly 10 months ago. I sent a series of questions as to if this is actual FCA service documentation and if it is the latest as it has no dates on it and 10 months is a long time for a new launched vehicle.

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 2019 Laramie is at the Dealer, went in yesterday morning. Today I talked with the Service writer and he said everything checked out and was within spec.
Also stated the 8 degrees difference in vent temperature was within spec. I think that's BS and told him so.
The readings they provide at A/C max, recirculation are the following:
Drivers Side Left - 52 F
Drivers Side Right - 52 F
Pass Side Left - 44 F
Pass Side Right - 45 F
Yesterdays outside temp was 79 F
I now have contacted the Service Manager and told him I didn't think those readings are in spec based on the Document that was posted. Would just like to be able to cite it's origin.
Based on the document, I think it is a blend door issue. Don't want them removing dash - that would only create more problems. We'll see what the service manager says this afternoon.
Just had a call from RAM Cares, appreciate that they are staying on top of this.
Very interested in what you find out from him. Print out that document and hand it to him.

I Love Grits

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hi...I quoted this and a member is asking where I got it, so I have a couple questions. .Where did this procedure come from? Is it official FCA service documentation? Is there a newer version as this is at least 10 months old? I don't see any dates printed on it so didn't know if it as latest. Lots of folks with warm ac temps (warmer for driver center than passenger center vents) Thanks!!!

Its from the service manual available through TechAuthority. Attached is the full section on testing AC performance. I do not have a current subscription to TechAuthority so cannot confirm for sure that the language has not changed in the last 10 months.

Attachments

• Diagnosis and Testing - AC Performance.pdf
    16.2 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Its from the service manual available through TechAuthority. Attached is the full section on testing AC performance. I do not have a current subscription to TechAuthority so cannot confirm for sure that the language has not changed in the last 10 months.
So TechAuthority is not a FCA Mopar resource that dealer mechanics would have access to?

chalin

Reaction score
It is the factory service manual. It should be the exact same thing the techs use.
Thanks
Maybe this is going a little to deep, but the first time i had my truck in for this problem - they recorded the High Side and Low Side pressure readings after they evacuated the system and recharged.
118.21 High Side
35.7 Low Side
I'm assuming the units are psi.
This was on an 84 f day.
The table in the Diagnostics and Testing Documentation shows the Low Side to be within range (25-35 psi) but the High Side from the table is (200-300 psi)
This makes me question the document validity or maybe I am not comparing apples to apples.
Would appreciate valid comments.

James Cole

Reaction score
Hi guys... what I have noticed now that we have some days at 100 degrees, is that the passenger side temp is acceptable... so the AC output is suitable, this to me seems like other have said a blend door issue on the Drivers side... It might be that there is a problem physically with the door or incorrect programming.

So there is hope and possibly and easy fix.

I Love Grits

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks
Maybe this is going a little to deep, but the first time i had my truck in for this problem - they recorded the High Side and Low Side pressure readings after they evacuated the system and recharged.
118.21 High Side
35.7 Low Side
I'm assuming the units are psi.
This was on an 84 f day.
The table in the Diagnostics and Testing Documentation shows the Low Side to be within range (25-35 psi) but the High Side from the table is (200-300 psi)
This makes me question the document validity or maybe I am not comparing apples to apples.
Would appreciate valid comments.

If you're that concerned that the posted PDF is out of date, you can buy a 1 day subscription to TechAuthority and check for the latest version. This is the same information that the dealer techs would access. You could also print off a copy of the version posted here, take it with you to the dealership & ask the service adviser to show you the "correct" version if they claim 118 is within spec.

Check out this post from last summer:

If they did in fact charge your system with the appropriate amount of R1234yf, the fact your high side is low while suction is OK mimics what I saw on mine. I think there's a restriction of some sort in the evaporator causing the refrigerant to stack out in the condenser. I suppose I need to throw the gauges back on there & see if the high side pressure is within spec after the recharge.

chalin

Reaction score
If you're that concerned that the posted PDF is out of date, you can buy a 1 day subscription to TechAuthority and check for the latest version. This is the same information that the dealer techs would access. You could also print off a copy of the version posted here, take it with you to the dealership & ask the service adviser to show you the "correct" version if they claim 118 is within spec.

If they did in fact charge your system with the appropriate amount of R1234yf, the fact your high side is low while suction is OK mimics what I saw on mine. I think there's a restriction of some sort in the evaporator causing the refrigerant to stack out in the condenser. I suppose I need to throw the gauges back on there & see if the high side pressure is within spec after the recharge.
Thanks for the response.

I Love Grits

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just wondering if you had an acceptable resolution to this issue? Last I saw, the numbers you posted were within spec.

You quoted yourself. Were you asking me, or someone else?

chalin

Reaction score

Service manager did acknowledge the document but blew off the high pressure difference with the statement that "it's the same document they have been using for the last 10 years". My truck has now been at the dealer since Monday 13th, all conversations are filled with statements about "operating as designed" or "working in accordance within specs". Pretty sure this is going nowhere, will try to get area manager involved. RAM Cares just seems to be a parrot for he dealer.

I Love Grits

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yes - asking you.

We are just starting to get back to hotter temps where I live in Texas. I don't remember noticing a substantial difference after the dealer recharge, but given that the summer was almost over, decided to let it go for the time being. I'm sure I'll be disappointed in the performance again once temps start to consistently hit >90°F.

I need to take the truck in for the recalls that its due for and I'm going to ask them to do the HVAC TSB.

If things still aren't better, I'm not willing to tear the dash off to change out the evaporator. My pressures are a lot better than yours, and I think a good portion of my problem is the blend door not operating correctly. If its still an issue after the flash, I'll probably install an in-line valve to the lines that run to the heater core and shut off the flow of coolant. A faulty blend door won't matter at that point.

Service manager did acknowledge the document but blew off the high pressure difference with the statement that "it's the same document they have been using for the last 10 years". My truck has now been at the dealer since Monday 13th, all conversations are filled with statements about "operating as designed" or "working in accordance within specs". Pretty sure this is going nowhere, will try to get area manager involved. RAM Cares just seems to be a parrot for he dealer.

I'm not sure how the manager could say that with a straight face. Are you in an area with more than one dealer? Might be time to find someone else to service the truck. If not, definitely get some upper management involved.

The ladies that post here from RamCares are nice but their hands seem to be very tied. I wouldn't expect much out of that service (no fault of their own).

Gladiator77

Reaction score
Soooo.... I just picked up my 2019 RAM 1500 from the dealer as it was there for three days getting a few things fixed. They ONLY thing that they claim they cannot fix is the AC! The temp with the thermometer is what I took before I dropped it off to them. And the other document is what they gave me from their tech line guy that reads that it is within their specs. I have owned many vehicles and I have never seen one like this that wouldn't go below 50 degrees even when its only in the 70's, as in the photo with the thermometer. I am at a lose as to what to do next...

Attachments

• 2019-05-13-20h02m16 2019 RAM 1500.jpg
    2019-05-13-20h02m16 2019 RAM 1500.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 78
  • Screensho.jpg
    Screensho.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 78

James Cole

Reaction score
We are just starting to get back to hotter temps where I live in Texas. I don't remember noticing a substantial difference after the dealer recharge, but given that the summer was almost over, decided to let it go for the time being. I'm sure I'll be disappointed in the performance again once temps start to consistently hit >90°F.

I need to take the truck in for the recalls that its due for and I'm going to ask them to do the HVAC TSB.

If things still aren't better, I'm not willing to tear the dash off to change out the evaporator. My pressures are a lot better than yours, and I think a good portion of my problem is the blend door not operating correctly. If its still an issue after the flash, I'll probably install an in-line valve to the lines that run to the heater core and shut off the flow of coolant. A faulty blend door won't matter at that point.

I'm not sure how the manager could say that with a straight face. Are you in an area with more than one dealer? Might be time to find someone else to service the truck. If not, definitely get some upper management involved.

The ladies that post here from RamCares are nice but their hands seem to be very tied. I wouldn't expect much out of that service (no fault of their own).
We would really really like a how to on that shut off valve!

Thanks!

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Soooo.... I just picked up my 2019 RAM 1500 from the dealer as it was there for three days getting a few things fixed. They ONLY thing that they claim they cannot fix is the AC! The temp with the thermometer is what I took before I dropped it off to them. And the other document is what they gave me from their tech line guy that reads that it is within their specs. I have owned many vehicles and I have never seen one like this that wouldn't go below 50 degrees even when its only in the 70's, as in the photo with the thermometer. I am at a lose as to what to do next...
Should have this document in hand and request a high level manager drive your truck with you in passenger side on a hot day and truck heat soaked. Then take thermometer readings (maybe with an analog dial and digital thermometers so he can see multiple thermometers agree) from both drivers center vent and passenger center vent. Then request that you do same with 2 other brand new trucks from inventory. Ask if he would accept 55 degrees from drivers side if it was his vehicle. :cool:

Attachments

• Diagnosis and Testing - AC Performance.pdf
    16.2 KB · Views: 10

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We would really really like a how to on that shut off valve!

Thanks!
I was thinking of a tee in each line with a cross hose with valve, then valve after in each line so you have complete control to allow a reduced flow to prevent corrosion, etc. Possibly can just put one valve on line out of water pump as I am not sure that it would affect engine cooling by restricting coolant flow. Mechanics could verify if that is true. Seems like vehicles/equipment with no heaters just plug the port on water pump.

chalin

Reaction score

So, I went to pick up my truck yesterday and had a discussion with the Service Manager who has been involved with the A/C issues.
He has had conversations with the Area Technician as well as with the Technical Assistance Factory representative for the Engineering group.
The area technician has noted that this is a problem but no fix. The response from the Factory rep for Engineering is "maybe characteristic of the vehicle".
Chrysler not taking ownership of the issue as it states "no related cases or concerns at this time." Attached is the response from the rep.
Think it's going to take a number of complaints at Factory level to make anything happen.

Attachments

• 0200_001.pdf
    58.4 KB · Views: 39

Users who are viewing this thread