5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air conditioning performance

GM convert

Reaction score
“Cold” is relative. Please be specific, give us numbers for before and after. If you don’t have for before at least measure and give us what it is now. This information is critical to the discussion of this problem. If “cold” to you is 48-50 degrees, then this will not satisfy others, so please tell us the numbers. And by numbers, I don’t mean what you set the thermostat at, but what the air temperature is coming out of the driver and passenger center vents. Thanks
I understand. My ac worked perfectly last year. First few early hot days this summer it acted like what everyone was describing on here. My dealer did the above repairs and it’s back to normal again. I couldn’t imagine people wanting it colder than what it is.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I understand. My ac worked perfectly last year. First few early hot days this summer it acted like what everyone was describing on here. My dealer did the above repairs and it’s back to normal again. I couldn’t imagine people wanting it colder than what it is.

Get out of here with your realistic expectations :ROFLMAO:

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks, but without numbers, not much help.

Gsmith223

Reaction score
I gave the dealership two cracks at fixing this. First time they applied the TSB and said I am good. I went back and still had 60 degree temps on the driver side and 52 on the passenger side. Left it there and let them know it still wasnt fixed. They called me yesterday and said they found a leak and they fixed that and filled the system back up. I picked it up and the temps are better 55 on the drivers side and 45 on the passenger side at idle. Where i notice the difference is while I am driving, the temps go down to the mid to upper 40s on both sides, but warm right back up when I start idling.

The service adviser showed me the specs and its 45 degrees vent temps at 80 ambient and 55 at 90 ambient. The kicker is 62 degrees vent temps at 100 ambient. It still barely keeps the truck cool at idle but I guess its as good as it gets without the clamp on the heater core hose.

As a comparison the Ram classic that I got as a loaner was 42 degrees on both sides all the time,

Techguy2000

Reaction score
Forgive my lack of understanding on the heater core / heating system in these trucks but in the classic does the heater core have a shut off valve, or do the blend doors just close appropriately but the heater core is still sitting within the dash soaking in its own heat as fluid pushes through constantly?

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Passenger
Great, that is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you. What was outside temperature when you took this reading. I can now unequivocally tell my dealer to check my system out thoroughly. If you can get 41 degrees, then we should all be able too. Also, the many on here saying there is a design problem may want to rethink that. Maybe their vehicles weren’t properly built or their A/C system is truly not calibrated. That is why it was important to know your numbers.

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Feels like 93 degrees, not as hot as it could be, but a good reference point. Thanks again!

Differia

Reaction score
Correct me if I am wrong but it doesn't look like a fix.
50 degrees driver side
41 degrees passenger side
in 86 degrees outside weather

NordicNevs

Reaction score
The absolute irony with this is mine came with the heavy duty cooling package

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
50 degrees driver side
Nope, “feels like temperature “ was 93 degrees outside. And he did not post drivers side, but even if it was 50 degrees then FCA would say in specs. Personally, I am pulling for you guys to get FCA to improve this, but with over 259000 new RAMs out there as only a very small number complaining, you have to question what they would do. On the other hand if your vehicle has been throughly tested and is not meeting there specs, you have a case. Me, I am with this guy. Mine meets the specs, keeps me cool, but if maybe the Freon is a little low and it can be improved, then I will ask.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
50 degrees driver side

Consider yourself corrected, lol

The "feels like" temp is what you have to go off of when using the chart to determine if the outlet air temp is within spec. Also, the vehicle should be stationary in Park, and the engine should be revving at 1,000 RPMs, holding steady.

If these conditions are not met, the test is void anyway.

But, above 90 degrees feels like temp and below 55 degrees outlet temp is within spec.

Differia

Reaction score
Okay 86 was the out side temp? Sorry should have wrote - feels like temp 93 degrees.

But it looks like
Post # 626 shows 50.6 degrees from the driver side
Post # 627 shows 41.7 from the passenger

Even if its in spec, Its the same complaint the rest of us have. Big difference in temperature from the driver to passenger side vent.
Thats almost a 9 degree difference from the 2 vents. Doesn't look like a fix to me

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
FCA will say in specs, IMO. What temperatures are you getting and under what outside conditions?

Differia

Reaction score
FCA will say in specs, IMO. What temperatures are you getting and under what outside conditions?

Last temperature reading was 105 outside temperature
60 driver side
48 passenger.

I get that is within specs also but seems very uncomfortable to me not to mention how long to takes to cool down.

I didn't really notice an issue with the A/C till we had temps close to 100 degrees outside.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/