5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air conditioning performance

TheMadDutchDude

Reaction score
It was a toasty 96 degrees by me today, according to the truck thermometer. The AC was “meh” at best. I’ll have them look into it when I get it in for service in a week or two.

Brisoup1

Reaction score
Paying 50K + for a brand new vehicle, you personally should not have to make ANY modifications to get a particular system to work correctly. If a dealer can't fix the problem after several attempts, Lemon Law it.

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I received the AC TSB flash yesterday for my truck. It's absolutely no cooler, unfortunately. I've just been running windows and sunroof open in mid 90's temps with max AC going until I can get the cabin ready for somewhat cooler air and close the roof and windows.

It's pretty much how things were in the late 80's and 90's of how we cooled things down for those who understand the practice, lol. When I have passengers they always complain. Especially those in the back who are burning up without any cold airflow.

Tom488

Reaction score
Paying 50K + for a brand new vehicle, you personally should not have to make ANY modifications to get a particular system to work correctly. If a dealer can't fix the problem after several attempts, Lemon Law it.
First, it is irrelevant the amount you pay. Is an unacceptable A/C system suddenly acceptable on a $40K vehicle? How about $30K? At what sticker price does it become acceptable?

Secondly - have you ever been through a lemon law buyback? I will GUARANTEE you it's a lot more hassle than twisting on a hose clamp, or installing a shutoff valve. You WILL lose money on it - whether hard cash, or the equivalent of your time and effort. FAR more than the cost of a valve or clamp, and the time to install it. Then, of course, there's this:

Lemon Law doesn't apply here, because the dealership, and FCA Corporate, will simply tell you that the system is performing "within spec", and they'd be right. Lemon Law proceedings need to first demonstrate a documented problem, with multiple attempts to correct. You can whine to them until you're blue in the face... it won't matter. You might as well just jump on the "let's get a class-action lawsuit going!" bus - it's got just as much of a chance of succeeding (which is to say... none).

So - two (practical) choices here - either fix it temporarily yourself, and wait for an eventual real fix from the manufacturer, or continue to yell at the rain with statements like, "but we shouldn't have to do this!!", all the while sweating in your truck.

Brisoup1

Reaction score
Take it easy. I was just using 50K as a average price for these particular trucks. I was in no why implying that buying a new vehicle of lesser value doesn't entitle you not to have any problems. And making a big deal about it sometimes make a difference. It sucks, but telling most dealers that you will use all means available to get the word out about how they can't fix a simple air conditioner problem can entice them to buy the vehicle back. Shouldn't have to do that, but sometimes you have to light a fire under their *** to get the results you want. But, that's just how I am. To each their own.

Last edited:

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Look, the AC sucks. The software flash I got yesterday due for my build date will NOT change things. I went through the process just so to document it up above. It will take all of us to bring it into dealers and go through the process and then to further hold feet to the fire to engineer a change. Holding my breath for that...

Rototerrier

Reaction score
The valve / clamp idea works until it rains and you need some heat in the system. I had my hose closed for a while, but we've been getting some rain and had to open it back up to get the windows to defrost. Of course, I had to get out and open the hood to do that in the rain! I've left it open for now. I almost was forced to close it back off yesterday but am suffering thru. If it were automated, it would be the perfect solution....but this manual stuff sucks.

DaMythDaLegend

Reaction score

you can't lemon law something that is operating within their published specs.

kjn86

Reaction score
What I don't understand is why anyone is bringing their truck into the dealer AFTER reading the 5+ A/C threads we have going indicating they not only never do anything good but have no idea what to do about it. Just stand by until a formal message is put out from FCA (if they do) and/or use the clamp/valve hack already identified. Does anyone think their dealer has a magic fix? If anything, I'd argue those of us reading all the A/C threads are better informed on the problem. Then people have the audacity to take it back to the dealer or leave it there longer when they get back the truck without A/C improvements (that the dealer had no way to fix). I have read every thread here, every post and I cannot recall a single time when anyone went to the dealer and got something better on the back end.

We know what the problem is. They can't/won't have the fix at the dealer now. For those who aren't reading this forum, it would make sense to go to the dealer. For those of us who are, stop wasting time and effort.

Cbr954

Reaction score
What I don't understand is why anyone is bringing their truck into the dealer AFTER reading the 5+ A/C threads we have going indicating they not only never do anything good but have no idea what to do about it. Just stand by until a formal message is put out from FCA (if they do) and/or use the clamp/valve hack already identified. Does anyone think their dealer has a magic fix? If anything, I'd argue those of us reading all the A/C threads are better informed on the problem. Then people have the audacity to take it back to the dealer or leave it there longer when they get back the truck without A/C improvements (that the dealer had no way to fix). I have read every thread here, every post and I cannot recall a single time when anyone went to the dealer and got something better on the back end.

We know what the problem is. They can't/won't have the fix at the dealer now. For those who aren't reading this forum, it would make sense to go to the dealer. For those of us who are, stop wasting time and effort.

I would think people taking their truck to the dealer is not "wasting time and effort" but helping by having the issue logged and documented. I would think that the more people that do that the more dealers will ***** to FCA, the better chance FCA will get off their *** and do something.

Other than that, what do you care what someone does with their time?

Reactions: Jtr

kjn86

Reaction score
I would think people taking their truck to the dealer is not "wasting time and effort" but helping by having the issue logged and documented. I would think that the more people that do that the more dealers will ***** to FCA, the better chance FCA will get off their *** and do something.

Other than that, what do you care what someone does with their time?
I would think the experiences of everyone here would tell you the dealer isn't doing anything. You can log complaints and problems with FCA (I did this with my tow mirrors) without going to a dealer. And it is a fair assumption that by this time, FCA is fully aware of this problem. Anyone bringing their vehicle in at this point is not adding any fuel to the case.

Wit regard to your time, I wonder why you'd want to waste it. I care what people do with their time on a personal level because there are so many other worthwhile options. How about taking a walk? Reading a book? Spending it with a friend or family member? Or you can spend it driving to and from the dealer, explaining the issue, waiting in a waiting room playing on your phone or getting rides to and from. Or how about just the waste of mental energy into the process with zero results? Your trip the dealer will do zero good. This has been shown over and over.

I care about what people do with their time when it affects other people - like we all do. Every time someone goes to a dealer for services/checks that are unnecessary, this drives up costs and takes up time for people who really need service. For those who need something fixed that is actually broken/needs service, there is a guy taking up hours of a tech's time to look at your A/C that he can't fix (and you knew this before you went there). All the hours spent on having them inspect something trivial (weird noises, smells, etc.) that results in no action are not free. The costs the dealership incurs dealing with these lost tech hours that generate no income are passed on to other consumers to ensure they make a profit. Oil change, tire rotation, realignment, etc. could cost all of us less.

Imagine an emergency room filled with people, some of whom cannot/do not pay for services and some who can, some who are really in need of emergency care and some who are there for things most people wouldn't even see a doctor for. The unsick are wasting the time of the medical professionals and the broke are being subsidized by those who can pay. Taking your truck in for A/C at this point is like being the uninsured unsick person in the emergency room.

Last edited:

2wd

Reaction score
We all have to go in at some point for the various recalls. Might as well let the dealer document and take a shot at fixing.

One user a few pages back ("GM Guy" I believe is his name), took his truck in for the AC and the dealer did seem to resolve a heat leak in his system with a valve/o ring replacement.

Rototerrier

Reaction score
We all have to go in at some point for the various recalls. Might as well let the dealer document and take a shot at fixing.

One user a few pages back ("GM Guy" I believe is his name), took his truck in for the AC and the dealer did seem to resolve a heat leak in his system with a valve/o ring replacement.

This!

I have the airbag/software recall pending. I'll be bringing up the A/C issue then. I don't expect anything to be done about it, but it will at least get me added to the list of folks that have complained. Maybe it'll make it's way to someone who cares, but probably not. And I'll complain about my A/C on any other visit that I make. Until it's fixed, I'll keep complain'n.

Differia

Reaction score
I brought my truck in for the airbag recall and noise issues. Had them look at the A/C at the same time. They found a leak in the valve. Then the service department found another leak. I believe I am the third person whose truck was found with a leak in the AC system.
I also wanted the flash for the AC done.
So not an entire waste of time.

Last edited:

2wd

Reaction score
Thanks GM Convert - Based on your work order, we need to call your dealer and get that tech David Radtke onto this thread as he may have solved the defect in the system that allows in heat.

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It’s cold now and wasn’t before. Outside is heat index in the 90s, super humid.
“Cold” is relative. Please be specific, give us numbers for before and after. If you don’t have for before at least measure and give us what it is now. This information is critical to the discussion of this problem. If “cold” to you is 48-50 degrees, then this will not satisfy others, so please tell us the numbers. And by numbers, I don’t mean what you set the thermostat at, but what the air temperature is coming out of the driver and passenger center vents. Thanks

Last edited:

Brisoup1

Reaction score
While my A/C system isn't the greatest, it does start working "just ok" after driving driving for about 10 minites or so on hot, sunny days with 85-95 degree temps with the truck is parked in the sun for several hours with all the windows up. When first starting out, I'll drive with the front windows down & the rear cab window open for about 5 minutes to push out the hot air before closing everything. I also leave the re-circ button on for about 30 minutes. Obviously driving at highway speeds will help my A/C run cooler more than driving in stop-and- go traffic. Although I don't have a thermometer, the temperature coming out of the vents is the same. So far, I'm chalking up the underwhelming A/C performance to the fact that the cabin is large ( At least those of us that have Crew Cabs) and possibly the A/C system simply isn't up to task during hot weather. I'll admit, reading some of these post doesn't help my overall confidence in the long term reliability my truck. I'm starting to consider weather I should buy the extended warranty, when the 3 year bumper to bumper warranty expires. I really just hope my truck escapes these reliability issues. Chrysler/FCA vehicles always been hit or miss. Me & a coworker both had 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee's. My friend had so many problems with it, FCA bought it back. My Grand Cherokee had zero problems.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread