5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air conditioning performance

Differia

Reaction score
I know what you mean about the air being a hassle. I had the TSB done on my truck last week and a valve changed. Service dept said it was leaking. Got the truck back and it was worse. Still hot as can be and A/C lines have a constant hissing noise running through them.
Took the truck back in.
The service dept said the valve they replaced is no good and they need to replace the whole line now . Also now they found a leak in the expansion valve and will replace that.

Lawman

Reaction score
Something magic about the Ram...I have never owned one but would love to just because I'm ready for a change and I want to discover the magic...For some reason I cannot quite grasp why people are willing to put up with all the recalls, defects, issues and problems that go with owning one..Not only that but they buy another one and another and another..It's bazaar..In my life I can count on one hand the recalls I've been sent on the many Fords and Toyota's I've owned..I never remember having to take one of my new vehicles back a warranty problem.. Ram owners are happy to brag that the only issues they have had with their new truck are minor and the three recalls they have had to go back for.. It's bazaar I tell you..

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Something magic about the Ram...I have never owned one but would love to just because I'm ready for a change and I want to discover the magic...For some reason I cannot quite grasp why people are willing to put up with all the recalls, defects, issues and problems that go with owning one..Not only that but they buy another one and another and another..It's bazaar..In my life I can count on one hand the recalls I've been sent on the many Fords and Toyota's I've owned..I never remember having to take one of my new vehicles back a warranty problem.. Ram owners are happy to brag that the only issues they have had with their new truck are minor and the three recalls they have had to go back for.. It's bazaar I tell you..
I guess you’ve gotten lucky. I’m not a Ram loyalist, but Ford is guilty of several of the largest recalls in history (one was 21 million vehicles, and another was 14 million!). Toyota also recalled 14 million vehicles a few years back...along with 1.5 million vehicles earlier this year (airbags). It happens. Thanks for trolling ;)

Lawman

Reaction score
I guess you’ve gotten lucky. I’m not a Ram loyalist, but Ford is guilty of several of the largest recalls in history (one was 21 million vehicles, and another was 14 million!). Toyota also recalled 14 million vehicles a few years back...along with 1.5 million vehicles earlier this year (airbags). It happens. Thanks for trolling ;)
I dunno..That could explain the 3 - 4 recalls I've gotten in the last 45 years..Actually I went Saturday with checkbook in hand ready to purchase a Limited with $15.000.00 off MSRP..Couldn't believe I not only found the truck I wanted color and all with the cargo management boxes and equipped just like I would order it but it was over 22% below MSRP.. Was very disappointed..Here in Texas old men need good AC..Not trolling but thanks for proving my point..

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I dunno..That could explain the 3 - 4 recalls I've gotten in the last 45 years..Actually I went Saturday with checkbook in hand ready to purchase a Limited with $15.000.00 off MSRP..Couldn't believe I not only found the truck I wanted color and all with the cargo management boxes and equipped just like I would order it but it was over 22% below MSRP.. Was very disappointed..Here in Texas old men need good AC..Not trolling but thanks for proving my point..
That’s the definition of trolling; I’m just returning the favor ;)

I’ve mostly been a GM guy, I suppose. This is my first FCA vehicle. All of ‘em have good and bad products.

Gsmith223

Reaction score
There have been to many recalls and to many TSBs , I love the truck and the difference between the 4th gen classic I got as a rental and the 5th gen I bought are drastic. The 5th gen is a much nicer truck. But the quality issues are crazy

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Seriously, after previous comment, you bought a RAM. Wow!

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I did not buy it..
Sorry, guess I misread your post. That said, why are we having this conversation with you. You are not a RAM owner, so you "don't have a dog in this fight." You need to move on to whatever forum goes with the vehicle you bought(???)

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sorry, guess I misread your post. That said, why are we having this conversation with you. You are not a RAM owner, so you "don't have a dog in this fight." You need to move on to whatever forum goes with the vehicle you bought(???)
I think the point Lawman is trying to make is that but for the poor AC in the truck he looked at, he would have purchased it. See his original post at #539. I suspect his may not be the only sale that FCA loses this summer.

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think the point Lawman is trying to make is that but for the poor AC in the truck he looked at, he would have purchased it. See his original post at #539. I suspect his may not be the only sale that FCA loses this summer.
I get it,.....just being "Snarky". Forgive me.

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I get it,.....just being "Snarky". Forgive me.
No worries. I think most us with the AC issue nonetheless love our trucks. Mine is doing okay in this Texas heat with the hose clamped shut. But I wish FCA would come up with a fix for the blend door issue or whatever the problem is that is causing subpar AC performance in some or our trucks.

Differia

Reaction score
I am sure ram has lost more than a few sales from word of mouth on the A/C.
A guy at my work was looking at a ram but just bought a Ford after hearing of the issues my truck was having.

Another ram owner I know was about to purchase another ram and after showing him these threads and my sharing my experience with my truck he decided to hold out.
It's kinda sad because my last ram was a great truck. Without good working AC especially in my state the ram is not a good purchase right now.

Magredvet

Reaction score
No worries. I think most us with the AC issue nonetheless love our trucks. Mine is doing okay in this Texas heat with the hose clamped shut. But I wish FCA would come up with a fix for the blend door issue or whatever the problem is that is causing subpar AC performance in some or our trucks.
First thing is................we've got to get them to admit there IS a problem. All of this " the system is working to spec "............when basically the system (even though it is working to their spec) is not capable of cooling the cabin, in a reasonable time, when the truck has been sitting in 100 deg temps all day.
I took mine out for a quick trip, after it had sat all day, in 15 mins, it still wasn't comfortable, lowest temp out of the DS was above 60 deg. Did the same with one of my other cars, and in just a couple of minutes you can feel the air from the vents affecting the cabin, temp from the vents, all of them was low 40,s
But 60 is acceptable at 100 deg ambient according to FCA.
I have had every generation of ram since 1998, and two gen 4's. This one has been the biggest disappointment so far....................
I will have to do the valve/clamp mod.................but on a truck this expensive I shouldn't have to, and it will affect my decision to purchase in the future.......

NP1724

Reaction score
I am sure ram has lost more than a few sales from word of mouth on the A/C.
A guy at my work was looking at a ram but just bought a Ford after hearing of the issues my truck was having.

Another ram owner I know was about to purchase another ram and after showing him these threads and my sharing my experience with my truck he decided to hold out.
It's kinda sad because my last ram was a great truck. Without good working AC especially in my state the ram is not a good purchase right now.

Count me as potentially one in that group. F150 owner for over 20 years, but I love the new design of the Ram's. Lurking here until I make my final decision around September for a new purchase. I thought I was set on a Ram replacing my 2013 F150, but now I'm having doubts. I definitely know I'd get less bells and whistles with Ford (likely XLT compared to Laramie with Ram), so how these first year issues are handled with Gen 5 will definitely influence my buying decision. I'm doing the same lurking on Ford Forums as well.

whetrick1

Reaction score
Well from what I'm hearing from some friends. All of the new trucks are having their own set of problems. So it not just Ram.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Differia

Reaction score
Count me as potentially one in that group. F150 owner for over 20 years, but I love the new design of the Ram's. Lurking here until I make my final decision around September for a new purchase. I thought I was set on a Ram replacing my 2013 F150, but now I'm having doubts. I definitely know I'd get less bells and whistles with Ford (likely XLT compared to Laramie with Ram), so how these first year issues are handled with Gen 5 will definitely influence my buying decision. I'm doing the same lurking on Ford Forums as well.
I wish I would have lurked on the forums first before my 2019 purchase.
Had I know this was an issue with the A/C I would not have purchased the truck. I liked my last Ram truck so much I just blindly went in and bought another one. I can deal with a few issues but **** poor A/C is not one of them.

NP1724

Reaction score
I wish I would have lurked on the forums first before my 2019 purchase.
Had I know this was an issue with the A/C I would not have purchased the truck. I liked my last Ram truck so much I just blindly went in and bought another one. I can deal with a few issues but **** poor A/C is not one of them.
That's where I am right now. I could likely deal with little electrical or tech gremlins as long as it drives comfortably between service visits, but it does need to do those 2 things....drive and be comfortable. I take these forums with a slight grain of salt as I do realize many happy owners don't vocalize, but that said Ill be test driving both Ram's and Fords. You can bet Ill be trying to do an early test drive before purchase sometime in the heat of August to check this AC performance for myself. I've also been very happy with Fords, but their prices are somewhat ridiculous.

Gsmith223

Reaction score
I am hearing that RAM is throttling the speed of the AC compressor to reduce load on the engine to meet EPA standards. Not sure this is true but would make sense as to why they wont fix it.

Users who are viewing this thread