5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air conditioning Hack

KcRay

Reaction score
FYI:
In for an oil change and occupant restraint recall at the dealer today.
My heater control valve stayed on, (they never even saw it) and I decided not to even mention my AC complaint, because right now my AC kicks #%$.

Last edited:

GraniteRam

Reaction score
FYI:
In for an oil change and occupant restraint recall at the dealer today.
My heater control valve stayed on, (they never even saw it) and I decided not to even mention my AC complaint, because right now my AC kicks #%$.

What dealer did you go to? I live near the KC area.

KcRay

Reaction score
What dealer did you go to? I live near the KC area.
Lee's summit, and so far they have been very accommodating to every thing I have needed. They even refunded me 15% back when I bought my RAM running boards B4 I knew about the performance and accessory discount.

GraniteRam

Reaction score
Lee's summit, and so far they have been very accommodating to every thing I have needed. They even refunded me 15% back when I bought my RAM running boards B4 I knew about the performance and accessory discount.

Good to hear. Haven't used them for any service but that's where I've been going to buy some of my parts. Ordered my wheel well liners there and they gave me a discount since I could get them cheaper online.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wonder if the AC has something to do with the dual climate set up? I wonder how people with lower end models, maybe like the tradesman, experience the AC?

AndreiV

Reaction score
I wonder if the AC has something to do with the dual climate set up? I wonder how people with lower end models, maybe like the tradesman, experience the AC?
I have tested side by side my truck and co-worker big horn without dual climate. Identical driver vent temps after 7 minutes idle test.

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I have a Big Horn with the base HVAC no dual or auto features, it’s just as bad as the limited my buddy has.

R

Rob5589

How is this for evidence of the blend door being an issue. Couple mornings ago was leaving work (0400) so I turned the ac to 70. It blew warm air out of the right hand driver vent, cool air from the left, and slightly cooler from both passenger side vents as well as the rear vents. I thought, WTF? So I turned it down to "lo" for about 30 secs then again tried it at 70. Every vent then blew about the same temp.

I will say I don't have ac issues like many. Only last week when it was 109 and I was waiting for my nerds to get out of school was it obvious. But when I upped the rpm's to 1200'ish it cooled right down.

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score

ramhead

Reaction score
Last edited:

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks......sticker shows a approx. late Oct/ early Nov 18 build date timeframe but falls outside the TSB for the A/C (which was for builds prior to 9/20/18), so that's not an issue apparently with this one.

OOC where do you find the build date from the Window Sticker?

ldoh

Reaction score
There are three of us at my work with new 2019 Rams , 2 are 5th gens and 1 is a Classic. The Classic blows colder than both of the 5th gens even with their heater hose blocked off. Its clearly something they did with the design of this 5th gen. My buddy’s Classic will blow 40 deg with no modification to his heater hose. My buddies new Limited blows warmer than my new Big Horn does. It’s really night and day in the difference in performance. We’ve tested them all side by side.
Thanks! It's disappointing of course. I guess we'll soon see how the 2020's perform.

Gsmith223

Reaction score
So my AC went back to being worse 60- 65 degree vent temps, than even before my two trips to the dealership and my corporate executive case. So I contacted my case manager again and now I have to take it back again. If I wasnt leasing and taking it in every other week for other problems I would just do this hack and be done.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So my AC went back to being worse 60- 65 degree vent temps, than even before my two trips to the dealership and my corporate executive case. So I contacted my case manager again and now I have to take it back again. If I wasnt leasing and taking it in every other week for other problems I would just do this hack and be done.

If I were leasing it, I'd absolutely put the valve in. Enjoy it for 2-3 years then remove the valve and turn it back in. No one would know and not a bit of wear or damage done to enjoy cold air while you drive it.

kjn86

Reaction score
I purchased the clamps a month ago but was still not convinced I needed it. My A/C seemed fine and I didn't want to find out later I caused something major. It got hot AF here and I decided to go with it. I am so much happier. It is noticeable immediately. Dropped driver's side to low 40s. So happy. Will stick it out for a month then transition to clamp off for the fall/winter. Hope something real gets ironed out before next summer!

ramhead

Reaction score
Next to VON#, on the same line mine has 0516, May-16th, for example, and which matches date on door sticker.
View attachment 34017

Yep....the reason I didn't say that it was the exact date (that is, why I said late Oct/early Nov) is for some the date code on the sticker didn't match up with the door plate. For example, my door plate says "4/19" (April 2019) but the Monroney sticker had listed next to the L4-VON "3/30" (March 30, 2019) - so - it doesn't always match exactly but would be nearabouts the general time/date of build.

ac1dd

Reaction score
Yep....the reason I didn't say that it was the exact date (that is, why I said late Oct/early Nov) is for some the date code on the sticker didn't match up with the door plate. For example, my door plate says "4/19" (April 2019) but the Monroney sticker had listed next to the L4-VON "3/30" (March 30, 2019) - so - it doesn't always match exactly but would be nearabouts the general time/date of build.

Door plate must be accurate by law, rely on that over the monroney label.

RAMpage

Reaction score
Brought my replacement truck to the dealer yesterday for the poor A/C performance... service manager sat in my truck for about 5 mins or so. Had it on low, only the 2 upper driver vents open, fan set to level 4-5, recirc on - if you hold your hand an inch from the vent it feels cool... but never cold. This is after driving for about 30mins on the highway. A/C barely works well enough to take the edge off and make it comfortable. He said it's because it is so humid, but yesterday it wasn't humid at all. Was 28C. The first 2019 RAM I had blew much colder on even warmer/more humid days. His solution was to book it in and do a pressure test and then check coolant level (typical). So... not really wanting to bring it in since that's clearly not the issue with so many people having this problem.

Gsmith223

Reaction score
If I were leasing it, I'd absolutely put the valve in. Enjoy it for 2-3 years then remove the valve and turn it back in. No one would know and not a bit of wear or damage done to enjoy cold air while you drive it.
Maybe but as often as I am taking it in for TSB, recalls and warranty work I am sure they will see it.

Users who are viewing this thread