5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air conditioning Hack

R

Rob5589

Brought my replacement truck to the dealer yesterday for the poor A/C performance... service manager sat in my truck for about 5 mins or so. Had it on low, only the 2 upper driver vents open, fan set to level 4-5, recirc on - if you hold your hand an inch from the vent it feels cool... but never cold. This is after driving for about 30mins on the highway. A/C barely works well enough to take the edge off and make it comfortable. He said it's because it is so humid, but yesterday it wasn't humid at all. Was 28C. The first 2019 RAM I had blew much colder on even warmer/more humid days. His solution was to book it in and do a pressure test and then check coolant level (typical). So... not really wanting to bring it in since that's clearly not the issue with so many people having this problem.
At this time, unless you want to start the complaint process, there is not much reason to have it tested. You knew exactly how the encounter was going to happen. As soon, if ever, there is a true fix, it will be all over this forum. Until then, use the valve, or deal the the service department smoke and mirrors.

RAMpage

Reaction score
At this time, unless you want to start the complaint process, there is not much reason to have it tested. You knew exactly how the encounter was going to happen. As soon, if ever, there is a true fix, it will be all over this forum. Until then, use the valve, or deal the the service department smoke and mirrors.

Agreed. 110%. Ordered the clamp until I can find the valve around here.

AndreiV

Reaction score
With that valve do you need an extra hose or does it fit right in between both? Also, would it be easy to remove if needed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
You will need an extra hose with any valve.

ac1dd

Reaction score
Brought my replacement truck to the dealer yesterday for the poor A/C performance... service manager sat in my truck for about 5 mins or so. Had it on low, only the 2 upper driver vents open, fan set to level 4-5, recirc on - if you hold your hand an inch from the vent it feels cool... but never cold. This is after driving for about 30mins on the highway. A/C barely works well enough to take the edge off and make it comfortable. He said it's because it is so humid, but yesterday it wasn't humid at all. Was 28C. The first 2019 RAM I had blew much colder on even warmer/more humid days. His solution was to book it in and do a pressure test and then check coolant level (typical). So... not really wanting to bring it in since that's clearly not the issue with so many people having this problem.

Are you going to try the AC hack mentioned in another thread? You use a manual valve to shut off coolant flow to the heater core in the dash, which gets most folks around the low 40s F.

rraulston

Reaction score
Like most, when my truck idles, im in the low 60s. When driving, I'm in the high 40s. Seems to me part of the issue could be a Freon volume flow issue. We need a hack with a higher flow rated compressor...….

ldoh

Reaction score
Like most, when my truck idles, im in the low 60s. When driving, I'm in the high 40s. Seems to me part of the issue could be a Freon volume flow issue. We need a hack with a higher flow rated compressor...….

I bet your right. They seemed to have quickly changed to the new freon but didn't appropriately analyze, test, and design the new hvac system or appropriately integrate it with the new body's larger cabin, increased window surface area, new pano roof, air vents, etc.

An hvac tear down likely won't uncover the total picture.

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I bet your right. They seemed to have quickly changed to the new freon but didn't appropriately analyze, test, and design the new hvac system or appropriately integrate it with the new body's larger cabin, increased window surface area, new pano roof, air vents, etc.

An hvac tear down likely won't uncover the total picture.

I know a lot of people come up with all sorts of cooky reasons for why the AC sucks in these trucks but I got news for you, the type of Freon, newer body cabin size, increased window surface, or pano roofs have nothing to do with why the temp at the vents is not cold enough. Plenty of new vehicles out there with as big or bigger cabins, pano roofs and running R1234YF that can make low 40’s at idle in 90+ deg outside temps. They simply screwed the pooch on this new model AC system/ HVAC box. The question is will they ever admit it and produce a fix for it.

Just an FYI, the 2019 Ram 2500 and 3500’s are also reporting poor AC performance on the big truck forums so it’s something they did in the 5th gen redesign across the board. Watch this video and look at this guys results, makes me sick to think tha a GMC 1500 can make mid to high 30’s at 100 deg with heavy humidity at idle and we are stuck with 59 unless we jimmy rig our trucks.

Last edited:

BigAdge

Reaction score
This may have been addressed... Any worry that if and when they recall this a warranty is voided by the hack?

Also, any specific hoses people have been using? I'm not a huge "car guy" but am handy. Just want to make sure I use proper equipment.

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This may have been addressed... Any worry that if and when they recall this a warranty is voided by the hack?

Also, any specific hoses people have been using? I'm not a huge "car guy" but am handy. Just want to make sure I use proper equipment.

It takes 2 minutes to return it to stock, “IF” they ever release a fix.

5/8 heater hose is what you need, most auto parts stores carry it. You have to buy it buy the foot so you’ll get one ft of it and only need a 3” piece cut off of it.

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So the 2020s I hear are on the lots now...anyone verified if anything changed? I doubt it as Dodge has yet to admit the issue.

U

User_3336

The topic is with the 19's a/c. Previous year models may not have had the issues.

Out of curiosity, I just checked the temp on my 2008 1500. It is bone stock, and the HVAC system has never been touched.

96 degrees out
108 heat index
Humidity 48%

While driving, i'm getting 43.8 degrees. While sitting at idle, the temp goes up to 50.9. As soon as I take off, the temp drops back down.

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, I just checked the temp on my 2008 1500. It is bone stock, and the HVAC system has never been touched.

96 degrees out
108 heat index
Humidity 48%

While driving, i'm getting 43.8 degrees. While sitting at idle, the temp goes up to 50.9. As soon as I take off, the temp drops back down.
Now that's a properly functioning AC.

U

User_3336

Buy a 19 and you can get a REAL WORLD experience about what we are talking about in this thread with a 19!
:-\
Understood, I am just providing data on how an 11 year old system functions. I would expect a 2019 to be equal or better.

AndreiV

Reaction score

Users who are viewing this thread