5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air conditioning Hack

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Put the clamp on the other day. Before i did it on a 100 degree day I couldn’t get better than 53 out of driver side vent. After the clamp it was down to 43!

54ebc59bb219584dd6a75c40753e7a44.jpg

881aabd32ead8092399f1130c406589a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I can't take in anymore! Clamping this sum*%&|@$. Can you guys confirm whether you are clamping it all the way or just tightening it down but letting a little flow happen? Those who have had it on for a bit...do you notice any impact to the hose? I'm sure, if you had, you would have mentioned it here and switched to the valve method. Appreciate any replies, but clamp goes on tonight.
Mine is clamped fully closed. In fact, I put two clamps on it. Honestly, it’s been too damn hot here for me to check on the hose under the hood. 100 plus for two or three weeks now. I’ll check on it in the fall.

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If planning to keep hack over the long term (during summer), you could probably move clamp point slightly every couple of weeks and evaluate it from there.

I still think the valve is the way to go, gives you flexibility to quickly add heat if needed and I’d hate to clamp it and forget about it and 6 months later have the hose damaged and start leaking and not know it. I can’t imagine long term the hose not being damaged from being pinched flat.

flynfish

Reaction score
I can't take in anymore! Clamping this sum*%&|@$. Can you guys confirm whether you are clamping it all the way or just tightening it down but letting a little flow happen? Those who have had it on for a bit...do you notice any impact to the hose? I'm sure, if you had, you would have mentioned it here and switched to the valve method. Appreciate any replies, but clamp goes on tonight.

I’m planning on putting the valve in soon. Figured I needed the clamps to do the valve anyways

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

dmodem

Reaction score
I still think the valve is the way to go, gives you flexibility to quickly add heat if needed and I’d hate to clamp it and forget about it and 6 months later have the hose damaged and start leaking and not know it. I can’t imagine long term the hose not being damaged from being pinched flat.
Like another member mentioned, move the clamp every so often to maintain the hose's integrity.

Last edited:

rraulston

Reaction score
This is an interesting thread. My truck blows ice cold some times and other times is in the 60 degree range. Every time I drive it, its different. So if I have ice cold days, I'm ruling out low Freon. Sometimes I can hit the brakes and stop hard and it blows colder.....don't know….

4x4Rebel

Reaction score
Clamped it today. Made a world of difference! Probably just valve it soon.

Mine is clamped fully closed. In fact, I put two clamps on it. Honestly, it’s been too damn hot here for me to check on the hose under the hood. 100 plus for two or three weeks now. I’ll check on it in the fall.

dreinert

Reaction score
What tricks are you guys using to loosen up the heater hose? I slid the clamp back 3" but I can't get it to break free. In the past I just cut a slit down the hose but that's when I was replacing it; I really don't want to wreck it. I twist, pull, & push but I can't get it to budge. 25k miles on the truck.

R

Rob5589

What tricks are you guys using to loosen up the heater hose? I slid the clamp back 3" but I can't get it to break free. In the past I just cut a slit down the hose but that's when I was replacing it; I really don't want to wreck it. I twist, pull, & push but I can't get it to budge. 25k miles on the truck.
You can try a pair of pliers/channel locks to twist and try to break it loose. Sounds like they use an adhesive of some sort.

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You can try a pair of pliers/channel locks to twist and try to break it loose. Sounds like they use an adhesive of some sort.

I think it depends on how long it’s been on there heating up and cooling down. My truck was 5 days old when I pulled the hose and it came right off with ease. But I wouldn’t have hesitate to cut a 1/2 slit and pull it off and cut it clean there’s enough hose there.

futonfactory

Reaction score

I cut a slit on the tube, then cut around it. Literally only removes like 1.5" from the tubing. Mine was stuck pretty good.

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm glad people are finding solutions...but sad that Dodge has not admitted to and addressed it.

I'm looking at a new truck and this is making me pause to see if the 2020 models have the same issue...and if so possibly waiting on Dodge to address it.

ramhead

Reaction score
I'm glad people are finding solutions...but sad that Dodge has not admitted to and addressed it.

I'm looking at a new truck and this is making me pause to see if the 2020 models have the same issue...and if so possibly waiting on Dodge to address it.

While you may be questioning it, you shouldn't be put off by buying or at least checking out a new Ram. It may turn out that the issue is not a deal breaker for you......mine hasn't been touched and normally gets to 47 - 50 degrees which is fine (when it's near 100 I'm getting around 54 which is within their specs but a bit colder would be better in that high temp - I can easily do the clamp though if I wanted to but haven't really needed it). Before I found this thread it didn't even occur to me that the AC wasn't "cold enough" - and I'm a freeze you out type guy. You should go check one out on a hot day (and even bring a thermometer with you to put in vent) and see if really is a deciding factor for you not to buy the truck.

onelochevy

Reaction score

Don't let this stop you. I live in South Louisiana and can fry an egg on my dashboard on a typical afternoon. My ac, while isn't the coldest, is still more than cold enough to keep me cool.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
While you may be questioning it, you shouldn't be put off by buying or at least checking out a new Ram. It may turn out that the issue is not a deal breaker for you......mine hasn't been touched and normally gets to 47 - 50 degrees which is fine (when it's near 100 I'm getting around 54 which is within their specs but a bit colder would be better in that high temp - I can easily do the clamp though if I wanted to but haven't really needed it). Before I found this thread it didn't even occur to me that the AC wasn't "cold enough" - and I'm a freeze you out type guy. You should go check one out on a hot day (and even bring a thermometer with you to put in vent) and see if really is a deciding factor for you not to buy the truck.
I'm the same way. People complain my office is too cold. The kids complain that they freeze when they come over the house. Hell, even the grandkids complain they're cold. So I like it cold. No real complaints about the AC. A little less cold on the start-up than some other vehicles I've had but after 5-10 minutes it's as cold as I want it to be enough that I'm usually turning down the fan some.

ldoh

Reaction score
I agree, a/c performance seems to vary. For me, especially during the first 10 mins of a 110F outside temp heatsoaked cabin or when the sun is blasting directly in the front windshield. I live in an extreme climate and at times it takes too long to cool the cabin down even with the fix and ceramic tint. I hope some initial heat soaks will go away once I finish modifying the garage so it can be parked in doors. In the mean time...

I'm wondering if the a/c performance issues are also related to the way the air flows out from the new cabin vents. I haven't driven a classic 1500 but the new body 1500 cabin vents seem to output a tight vertical sliver of forced cooled air resulting in the need to move vents to cover body parts when the sun is blasting in the front or side windows. In contrast, my wife's car feels more like a blanket of cold air across the front seats even when the cabin is recovering from an initial high temp heat soak.

A/c systems need to be designed for the worst conditions and shouldn't see large drop offs in performance from one model year to the next. Something doesn't add up.

Last edited:

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree, a/c performance seems to vary. For me, especially during the first 10 mins of a 110F outside temp heatsoaked cabin or when the sun is blasting directly in the front windshield. I live in an extreme climate and at times it takes too long to cool the cabin down even with the fix and ceramic tint. I hope some initial heat soaks will go away once I finish modifying the garage so it can be parked in doors. In the mean time...

I'm wondering if the a/c performance issues are also related to the way the air flows out from the new cabin vents. I haven't driven a classic 1500 but the new body 1500 cabin vents seem to output a tight vertical sliver of forced cooled air resulting in the need to move vents to cover body parts when the sun is blasting in the front or side windows. In contrast, my wife's car feels more like a blanket of cold air across the front seats even when the cabin is recovering from an initial high temp heat soak.

A/c systems need to be designed for the worst conditions and shouldn't see large drop offs in performance from one model year to the next. Something doesn't add up.

There are three of us at my work with new 2019 Rams , 2 are 5th gens and 1 is a Classic. The Classic blows colder than both of the 5th gens even with their heater hose blocked off. Its clearly something they did with the design of this 5th gen. My buddy’s Classic will blow 40 deg with no modification to his heater hose. My buddies new Limited blows warmer than my new Big Horn does. It’s really night and day in the difference in performance. We’ve tested them all side by side.

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score

My post was in response to checking this out in person. 2019 Laramie Longhorn in Delmonico Red that had been sitting out in the sun all day (was around 2pm and a good 95 degree/70% humid typcial day). Salesman and I went out and started the truck and let it run. It was disappointing to say the least. I even ran the RPMs up on the truck to 3-4K to try to help it out...even after 10-12 mins the air coming out was sub par at best.

Went over to a 2019 Dodge Durango SXT just to see if it was any different and it was about the same.

Got back into my 2019 Mustang GT and it was so night and day. Drove to the Ford dealer I got my last couple of cars from and was handed a key to a new F150 King Ranch and it also was night and day the difference.

I truly like the look and the ride of the Ram (previous 2014 Sport owner also) over the F150 but refuse to deal with sub par AC...so I will wait a bit longer to see what happens.

Don't let this stop you. I live in South Louisiana and can fry an egg on my dashboard on a typical afternoon. My ac, while isn't the coldest, is still more than cold enough to keep me cool.

Glad you are okay with yours...see above for my report.

Last edited:

ramhead

Reaction score
There are three of us at my work with new 2019 Rams , 2 are 5th gens and 1 is a Classic. The Classic blows colder than both of the 5th gens even with their heater hose blocked off. Its clearly something they did with the design of this 5th gen. My buddy’s Classic will blow 40 deg with no modification to his heater hose. My buddies new Limited blows warmer than my new Big Horn does. It’s really night and day in the difference in performance. We’ve tested them all side by side.

Did you do this by feel only or with a thermometer......it would be interesting to see the different thermometer readings and the spread between the 3 trucks (and, I assume you had all 3 set the same way - recirc, top vents only, fan speed, etc.??)

ramhead

Reaction score
My post was in response to checking this out in person. 2019 Laramie Longhorn in Delmonico Red that had been sitting out in the sun all day (was around 2pm and a good 95 degree/70% humid typcial day). Salesman and I went out and started the truck and let it run. It was disappointing to say the least. I even ran the RPMs up on the truck to 3-4K to try to help it out...even after 10-12 mins the air coming out was sub par at best.

Went over to a 2019 Dodge Durango SXT just to see if it was any different and it was about the same.

Got back into my 2019 Mustang GT and it was so night and day. Drove to the Ford dealer I got my last couple of cars from and was handed a key to a new F150 King Ranch and it also was night and day the difference.

I truly like the look and the ride of the Ram (previous 2014 Sport owner also) over the F150 but refuse to deal with sub par AC...so I will wait a bit longer to see what happens.

Glad you are okay with yours...see above for my report.

By chance did you happen to check the build date? There was a TSB for earlier build trucks for an AC fix (although some have said it didn't help).

Users who are viewing this thread