5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air conditioning Hack

GregHBNA

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Following this thread because my a/c seems to really suck! I just used some clamps after putting sock around the hose to prevent damage during my experiment. What do you know. very nice a/c temps. Still a small flow thru the line (the heater still worked).
Not sure I want to keep the clamps on..maybe test different ones. Don't want any damage to the hose from pinching it (not totally).

James Cole

Reaction score
Guys just want to double check, are we sure that the flow is not required for something else in the engine besides the heater core?

Like putting too much stress on overall system pressure ?

KcRay

Reaction score
Guys just want to double check, are we sure that the flow is not required for something else in the engine besides the heater core?

Negative, you have what is called "bypass hose"coming out of the thermostat housing that goes to the engine block. If you did not have that, you would need to put a U hose on your water pump inlet and outlet to connect the two.

KcRay

Reaction score

this is what's behind your dash that we are stopping from getting heat. Sealed and isolated system.
Screenshot_20190522-211019_Chrome.jpg

James Cole

Reaction score
Negative, you have what is called "bypass hose"coming out of the thermostat housing that goes to the engine block. If you did not have that, you would need to put a U hose on your water pump inlet and outlet to connect the two.

So the bypass basically is whats letting us close the valve completely without problems.

Javi1782

Reaction score
What size hose should I buy? I’m picking up truck at dealer now.

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What size hose should I buy? I’m picking up truck at dealer now.
I believe KcRay said 5/8" and valve needs to be same. Pex valves measure different....3/4" works perfect I am told. Don't forget clamps

Last edited:

djwdjw

Reaction score
Went to Harbor Freight and bought their fluid line clamp set with the ubiquitous 20% off coupon and installed it in literally 30 seconds. Six bucks. Even with residual 200F coolant in the heater core it brought the right vent temp down. I saw as low as 40F during a 20 minute drive. Low 90s ambient here today. Cheap fix. 30 seconds to reverse with no tools.

FWIW, Ram is never going to fix this problem, so why wait. How could they really fix it? What are they going to do... redesign the HVAC system on a million trucks in service? :)

What puzzles me is that this blocking-the-heater-core solution is not uncommon (looking at all the reviews on these valves and clamps being used just like this: to cut-off flow to heater cores for lots of vehicles). You'd think there'd be a universal design approach after 100 years of liquid cooled thermal-engined vehicles to get the heat or even the heater core out of the cabin when cabin heating is not needed. And who among us a half century old or older hasn't faced the issue of heater core problems or inaccessible heater cores leaking in history. Sorry, for the mini rant. At least the AC is cool now! Not quite in the upper 30s as I've noted in my other cars, but close.

37CC8711-7A5B-4C64-BB9D-88A002C0F524.jpeg A5D413B2-57B0-4CA4-BAB7-A52914F8373C.jpeg

Last edited:

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
In reading reviews about these "four season" and similar looking coolant shutoff valves, they apparently have a history of leaking from the adjuster screw....some are from china, others better made from USA. I am considering putting in a real brass/stainless ball valve from Grainger or other quality product supplier. Their specs have wide temp/pressure range and ball valves rarely leak. May have to buy threaded female to female threaded valve and add 5/8" male barbed fittings to get it to fit. Maybe 1/3 more money than the regular one that members are getting but I will feel at ease with no leaks. .....A little OCD and I hate murphy's law o_O :cool:****update**** I found this valve with 3/4" Pex barbed ports that others in reviews have used for heater core control. It is an Everflow 615P034-NL and is available with free shipping on Amazon! It has a compact handle. I just ordered a pair so will see if it seems like a good alternative.Another member verified that 3/4 Pex fits 5/8" heater hose. Check out pics.......If you decide to do this, it is at your own risk. Don't cut the factory heater hoses so you can remove it later without a trace when Ram has proper fix. (I previously listed a 1/2" Pex valve but it is too small for good hose seal and 3/4" is perfect in Pex world) IMG_3083.jpg IMG_3047.jpg

Last edited:

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Went to Harbor Freight and bought the clamp set with the ubiquitous 20% off coupon and installed it in literally 30 seconds. Six bucks. Even with residual hot water in the heater core it brought the R side vent temp down. I saw as low as 40F during a 20 minute drive. Low 90s ambient here today. Cheap fix. 30 seconds to reverse with no tools.
View attachment 26151 View attachment 26152
Instant gratification!!!! Why let the dealer "store" your truck for days and not improve cooling when you can solve it in minutes? Nice job! :ROFLMAO:(y):cool:

Last edited:

James Cole

Reaction score
Went to Harbor Freight and bought the clamp set with the ubiquitous 20% off coupon and installed it in literally 30 seconds. Six bucks. Even with residual hot coolant in the heater core it brought the R side vent temp down. I saw as low as 40F during a 20 minute drive. Low 90s ambient here today. Cheap fix. 30 seconds to reverse with no tools.

fwiw, Ram is never going to fix this problem, so why wait. What are they going to do? Redesign your HVAC system?

View attachment 26151 View attachment 26152

How was your right side vent?

Also is the clamp still letting some coolant trought?

djwdjw

Reaction score
How was your right side vent?

Also is the clamp still letting some coolant trought?

1. 40-45F

2. Maybe. I don't really know. Its not smashed down that tight. I really am not that concerned as I don't really think it matters. As long as its cool :)

GregHBNA

Reaction score
Anyone thing there will be any short/long term damage to the hose by "clamping"/crimping it down? I still got my clamped down with a crescent wrench with a sock around the hose. I can tell the temps are better.

But in the end, I don't want to damage my hose on a new truck!

Impressions/suggestions?

GregHBNA

Reaction score
Do you have a link from the website. Might get me one.

I think I found it. looks similar.

Went to Harbor Freight and bought the clamp set with the ubiquitous 20% off coupon and installed it in literally 30 seconds. Six bucks. Even with residual hot coolant in the heater core it brought the R side vent temp down. I saw as low as 40F during a 20 minute drive. Low 90s ambient here today. Cheap fix. 30 seconds to reverse with no tools.

fwiw, Ram is never going to fix this problem, so why wait. What are they going to do? Redesign your HVAC system?

James Cole

Reaction score
In reading reviews about these "four season" and similar looking coolant shutoff valves, they apparently have a history of leaking from the adjuster screw....some are from china, others better made from USA. I am considering putting in a real brass/stainless ball valve from Grainger or other quality product supplier. Their specs have wide temp/pressure range and ball valves rarely leak. May have to buy threaded female to female threaded valve and add 5/8 male barbed fittings to get it to fit. Maybe 1/3 more money than the regular one that members are getting but I will feel at ease with no leaks. .....A little OCD and I hate murphy's law o_O :cool:****update**** I found this valve with 1/2" Pex barbed ports that others in reviews have used for heater core control. It is an Everflow 615P012-NL and is available for only $7.99 with free shipping on Amazon! It has a compact handle. I just ordered it so will see if it seems like a good alternative. Check out pics....... View attachment 26158 View attachment 26159

Good suggestion, but our hose is 5/8 will this one fit?

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Good suggestion, but our hose is 5/8 will this one fit?
Its closest available size is 3/4" because it is meant for Pex hose and special clamp system and not 5/8" barb that would be a proper fit for 5/8 hose. Another member verified 3/4" Pex works perfect with 5/8" heater hose.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread