5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air conditioning Hack

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The big temp drop should be through the phase change as the compressed liquid freon is converted to a gas at the expansion valve before the evaporator coil. Once the expanded gas has left the evaporator and is headed back to the compressor (as in the photo above), it wouldn't need any insulation. You won't receive any benefit.
This is what I was thinking as well. I suspect Kray has this problem pegged in a blending issue more than anything else. So far my AC is sufficient for me, even in 90 degree temps here, but I will remember this thread if I decide I'd like it colder, as I agree that the vent temps do not feel as cold as other vehicles I have owned.

Viper67

Reaction score
Your house Ac line doesn’t have the line wrapped. Or if it does it’s only until it goes inside the house. From there it’s not wrapped.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Your house Ac line doesn’t have the line wrapped. Or if it does it’s only until it goes inside the house. From there it’s not wrapped.
That's what I was thinking about last night since the length of the AC lines was also mentioned. The lines on my home AC travel about 40 feet between the compressor and evaporator. I don't think going from one side of the engine bay or the other is going to amount to much.

Last edited:

jkm312

Reaction score

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
My AC line, the cold one, is wrapped all the way from the outside condenser the the A coil. Most line sets these days come that way. It keeps the condensation from dripping into places you don't want it.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My AC line, the cold one, is wrapped all the way from the outside condenser the the A coil. Most line sets these days come that way. It keeps the condensation from dripping into places you don't want it.
I think we can agree that the walls and interior spaces of a home are slightly different than an engine bay, right? :D

jkm312

Reaction score
I think we can agree that the walls and interior spaces of a home are slightly different than an engine bay, right? :D
That's true. You might be right about the length of the lines in the engine bay. I have not seen the AC compressor on the left side until I bought the RAM. It struck me as odd, that's why I mentioned it. Why is it on the left side? It doesn't make sense to me given the long line set. That's my question.

I'm talking about homes in the midwest where I live and humidity is a problem. Mold and mildew from a moisture source is something to be addressed. Colorado doesn't have the humidity like we do in the summer time. One of the neat things about western mountain living is if you don't like the temps where you are, you can take off and climb up or down until you find a little relief for awhile.

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's true. You might be right about the length of the lines in the engine bay. I have not seen the AC compressor on the left side until I bought the RAM. It struck me as odd, that's why I mentioned it. Why is it on the left side? It doesn't make sense to me given the long line set. That's my question.

I'm talking about homes in the midwest where I live and humidity is a problem. Mold and mildew from a moisture source is something to be addressed. Colorado doesn't have the humidity like we do in the summer time. One of the neat things about western mountain living is if you don't like the temps where you are, you can take off and climb up or down until you find a little relief for awhile.
I bet that now that electric fans open up space that the belt driven fan/clutch use to live in, they can move components around to balance weight or open up service access. Just my guess.

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
*****Look at this***** I just discovered that Ram trucks 2013-2018 had a 3-way coolant valve with electric connections to it. I was searching out coolant valves and stumbled onto this. When I try to put in 2019 Ram it states it does not fit and 2013-2018 it does with 5.7 hemi. hmmmmmmmm so they did eliminate restricting coolant flow in the redesign to 5th gen as they had done it in at least previous 6 years of trucks! Interesting. Things that make you go hmmmmmmmm............... IMG_3077.jpg mmmm

Last edited:

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's why I think there's more to this cooling circuit than just routing coolant to the heater core. The 2019 DT 1500 is supposed to route heated water to the cabin first, and to the transmission second.

When I look at the 3 way valve descriptions, this is what is posted: Category: Air Conditioning & Heat > Air Conditioner and Heater Plumbing; Cooling > Transmission Heater

Just because it's difficult to find replacement parts on these new trucks online doesn't mean the parts are no longer on the truck. Hell, I've had warranty issues where the dealers are having difficulty getting parts.

Last edited:

XDBrad

Reaction score
I installed the HF clamp this afternoon, not sure of the temp but it was obviously colder. Since I bought the truck last year my wife has complained about the AC, it’s cool but never cold. We headed to Sams after I put the clamp on (she knew nothing about it) and about five miles down the road she said “can you turn the AC down, it’s cold”. Validation enough for me!

Highly recommend this hack, either clamp or valve.

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's why I think there's more to this cooling circuit than just routing coolant to the heater core. The 2019 DT 1500 is supposed to route heated water to the cabin first, and to the transmission second.

When I look at the 3 way valve descriptions, this is what is posted: Category: Air Conditioning & Heat > Air Conditioner and Heater Plumbing; Cooling > Transmission Heater

Just because it's difficult to find replacement parts on these new trucks online doesn't mean the parts are no longer on the truck. Hell, I've had warranty issues where the dealers are having difficulty getting parts.
I just looked at my Rebel underhood. The 2 heater hoses travel from water pump to heater core with no valve in between. There are 2 hoses that are hooked into ports molded into lower radiator hose and another hose from upper radiator hose thermostat housing but I didn't go underneath to follow their paths. One of them must be bypass hose KcRay refers to and other 2 must be for transmission heat. I don't see any sign of "3 way coolant valve" as I believe it is mounted along side of passenger side engine valve cover on earlier year trucks from youtube videos. Correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited:

I Love Grits

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

See attached. Quick look at the schematic shows the line that feeds the transmission heater to be the same one that runs to the heater core. If that was the case, you could install a shut off valve downstream of the 3 way valve on the line that feeds the core itself.

ETA: If you cared about the parasitic loss until the oil warmed up as mentioned in the tech document. Which if that's all it is, I'll take the loss in efficiency for cooler air in the summer months.

Attachments

• Heater - Description and Operation.pdf
    65.9 KB · Views: 253

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Take a look at your truck. My Rebel has 2 heater hoses that go from water pump non stop trip to heater core. There are 3 other hoses that go under engine but I didn't follow them. I doubt an electric valve would be mounted there. Correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited:

I Love Grits

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Take a look at your truck. My Rebel has 2 heater hoses that go from water pump non stop trip to heater core. There are 3 other hoses that go under engine but I didn't follow them. I doubt an electric valve would be mounted there. Correct me if I am wrong.

You're wrong. See the PDF above your post.

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
See attached. Quick look at the schematic shows the line that feeds the transmission heater to be the same one that runs to the heater core. If that was the case, you could install a shut off valve downstream of the 3 way valve on the line that feeds the core itself.

ETA: If you cared about the parasitic loss until the oil warmed up as mentioned in the tech document. Which if that's all it is, I'll take the loss in efficiency for cooler air in the summer months.
Wow....that engine drawing and schematic looks different than my Rebel 5.7 Hemi built on 07/08/18. I just looked under hood and my heater hoses run non stop from water pump to heater core. There are 2 molded ports on lower radiator hose that has 2 hoses that disappear under passenger side of engine towards transmission. Another hose comes from thermostat housing that upper radiator hose hooks to (on water pump) and also goes under pass side of engine. I didn't go under to follow them. Your schematic shows a valve by lower radiator hose where the molded ports are. Am I missing something????? I don't see that valve.

Last edited:

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You're wrong. See the PDF above your post.
Please inspect yours and see if different build dates are different than mine.******update***** that is a V6 engine not a 5.7 Hemi. There are only 3 injectors and air cleaner intake is facing forward, not upwards. Upper radiator hose appears to be on drivers side. The document says at top it is a 5.7 V8 but drawing is incorrect. Thought I was going wacky! The schematic may also be for a V6.

Last edited:

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score

That drawing is a V6 engine . The schematic could be also for V6.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread