5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air conditioning Hack

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You would think that FCA would just admit the design flaw/operational failure and fix it. If a guy can come up with $15 fix FCA and all their engineering brain power should be able to remedy this issue.

KcRay

Reaction score
You would think that FCA would just admit the design flaw/operational failure and fix it. If a guy can come up with $15 fix FCA and all their engineering brain power should be able to remedy this issue.
Yes, then they lay in the dealer's lap who has to tell us "it's a vehicle characteristic"

NorthCountryEvo

Reaction score
Watching. One of the first things I noted when I brought home my truck new a few months ago was that I felt like the A/C wasn't as cold as I was expecting based on previous experiences in Ram's. Hopefully we get some sort of a fix soon, as I live in southern AZ and while we have had seemingly abnormal low temps, it won't be long before it's hot as heck, and I'd like to enjoy some cool comfort in my truck.

Ickabod

Reaction score
I wonder if this would work on the hose, for those of us that have leases and don't want to permanently hack the hose.

Cannonball

Reaction score
Although this idea on the surface seems very cool (get it?)... I'm following just to see the first "oh shi* " post.

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wonder if this would work on the hose, for those of us that have leases and don't want to permanently hack the hose.
Dont see any reason it wouldnt work and sure would be less hassle than putting in a valve.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
it shouldn't "freeze up" with no coolant flow. For 1) the thermostatic variable expansion valve, has a capillary tube in the evaporator coil to regulate the refrigerant flow and 2) the last heater box (well, it was a 4th gens, but I'm sure 5th gen is the same, as most vehicles today) there is a 2-wire thermistor, stuck into the evaporator coil, that will stop the compressor in the event of freeze up. There is no heat needed to prevent freeze up.

I'd be more concerned with non-moving stagnant coolant sitting, uncirculated in the heater core. The heater cores in these trucks are junk anyway, the crappy o-rings start leaking after around 100k.

Javi1782

Reaction score
This may also be an option. I would tie wrap it shut to ensure it doesnt open.

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
it shouldn't "freeze up" with no coolant flow. For 1) the thermostatic variable expansion valve, has a capillary tube in the evaporator coil to regulate the refrigerant flow and 2) the last heater box (well, it was a 4th gens, but I'm sure 5th gen is the same, as most vehicles today) there is a 2-wire thermistor, stuck into the evaporator coil, that will stop the compressor in the event of freeze up. There is no heat needed to prevent freeze up.

I'd be more concerned with non-moving stagnant coolant sitting, uncirculated in the heater core. The heater cores in these trucks are junk anyway, the crappy o-rings start leaking after around 100k.
I doubt that it would become stagnant since it would only need to be on during the summer months when its truly hot. The rest of the time you would remove it and let it operate as normal

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you look at what KcRay did, he disconnected the "out" hose at water pump , put it on port of added valve, added a short piece of new hose to other valve port, and attached it back to water pump port. Add clamps and done. You can reverse it in 5 minutes and nothing is cut off or changed. I would be afraid of hose damage by just pinching it.

Javi1782

Reaction score
If you look at what KcRay did, he disconnected the "out" hose at water pump , put it on port of added valve, added a short piece of new hose to other valve port, and attached it back to water pump port. Add clamps and done. You can reverse it in 5 minutes and nothing is cut off or changed. I would be afraid of hose damage by just pinching it.
You are right!!!! That is the smartest way to go!! Thank you for pointing that out, I automatically assumed that he had cut the hose and added the valve in between!

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You are right!!!! That is the smartest way to go!! Thank you for pointing that out, I automatically assumed that he had cut the hose and added the valve in between!
KcRay included multiple pictures that show how simple and easy to later remove this modification without leaving a trace. Go to page 1 at the very beginning of this thread "Air Conditioning Hack" and check out pics.

Gladiator77

Reaction score
I just talked to the master "reefer repair" guy where I work. The kind of reefer units the go in tractor trailers and can keep them at -20*
He said he saw no problems at all with closing off the heater core to get as cold as air as I could, could not see any risk of "freeze up". Also said "why not all the big rig trucks do too".
Granted he is not an auto AC technician, so it's another man's opinion. We stood around my Ram this morning with the hood open looking at what I had done, talking about the situation. Said he would "do it too".
I drove today from work and the store was like an hour and a half and stayed solid at 41 degrees and never froze anything. The outside temp was 94! I remember my dad bypassing old heater cores that leaked and never have I heard of anything freezing as part of it. I am almost certain that the AC doesn't need any kind of heated water to keep it from freezing. Your home AC doesn't either. Think about it... Do we have hot water running to our home AC units outside? No. I am going to order a hose clamp made for clamping hoses and retire my vise grips lol. And that is what I'll put on there for the summer or until FCA wants to do something about it.

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I drove today from work and the store was like an hour and a half and stayed solid at 41 degrees and never froze anything. The outside temp was 94! I remember my dad bypassing old heater cores that leaked and never have I heard of anything freezing as part of it. I am almost certain that the AC doesn't need any kind of heated water to keep it from freezing. Your home AC doesn't either. Think about it... Do we have hot water running to our home AC units outside? No. I am going to order a hose clamp made for clamping hoses and retire my vise grips lol. And that is what I'll put on there for the summer or until FCA wants to do something about it.
Next new thread "How to treat Pneumonia Caused From Too Cold Ram AC temps" and member KcRay (our hero) will teach us how to knit a sweater to take along with you all summer and to put hand warmers in all pockets. ....lol :ROFLMAO: o_O :cool:

Last edited:

Firebird

Reaction score
This is an outstanding thread, thanks for all of the info!

Attachments

• IMG_20190514_144559.jpg
    IMG_20190514_144559.jpg
    326.3 KB · Views: 184

Users who are viewing this thread