5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air conditioning Hack

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Genius repair!

I had a Crown Vic with the opposite problem, the blend door closed and never re-opened. Made for a miserable winter freezing my *** off with fogged windows

KcRay

Reaction score
Genius repair!

I had a Crown Vic with the opposite problem, the blend door closed and never re-opened. Made for a miserable winter freezing my *** off with fogged windows
It was probably a bad heater control valve in your Crown Vic. This deal of having blend doors is new. Used to be one door, let in fresh air or not. We have no heater control valves in these trucks. So we are slaves to the absolute Precision of our blend doors operation. I wonder if the Clasic Rams still have heater control valves?

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It was probably a bad heater control valve in your Crown Vic. This deal of having blend doors is new. Used to be one door, let in fresh air or not. We have no heater control valves in these trucks. So we are slaves to the absolute Precision of our blend doors operation. I wonder if the Clasic Rams still have heater control valves?
Actually did have a blend door, it was a 2003 LX with climate control. I found out a few years later it wasn't uncommon for it stick open or closed, funky actuator or something like that.

Would it be possible to retro fit a heater control valve from last gen and have it "communicate"?

KcRay

Reaction score
Actually did have a blend door, it was a 2003 LX with climate control. I found out a few years later it wasn't uncommon for it stick open or closed, funky actuator or something like that.

Would it be possible to retro fit a heater control valve from last gen and have it "communicate"?
I see. I've seen some guys post up some interesting ideas here, but with a separate controls. For me, these trucks have such a large cabin, and with the black interior, I can just use my fan speed to control the cabin temp. If that makes sense. My family usually complains about being too cold in my truck.

Beatle9999

Reaction score
Does anyone have the part number for the OEM hose and clamps for the hack? I got my valve from amazon but I want to make
It look as close to stock.

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does anyone have the part number for the OEM hose and clamps for the hack? I got my valve from amazon but I want to make
It look as close to stock.
I used below clamps, very similar to OEM and a foot of 5/8 heater hose from advanced auto. Once I painted the valve black I think I'm the only one that knows it's there.

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So 5/8 hose and 7/8 clamps?
Correct, hose is I. D. measurement and clamp is O. D. measurement. I used the 7/8 clamps in above link and 5/8 heater hose from advanced auto(they sell by the foot)

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

drew7811

Reaction score
Has there been a consensus on whether the clamp works better or if adding a ball-valve is the better way to go? Thanks in advance.

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I see. I've seen some guys post up some interesting ideas here, but with a separate controls. For me, these trucks have such a large cabin, and with the black interior, I can just use my fan speed to control the cabin temp. If that makes sense. My family usually complains about being too cold in my truck.
Do you have heated seats in your truck? That could take the edge off when they're complaining that it's too cold.

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I bought my truck in late December 2019, and had come across this thread and did my research back then on the in case I needed to do this come spring. Here is what I was going to add if needed on my truck, but my a/c is more than fine. I figured I would run a push-button momentary switch to control in cab. My thinking is I wouldn't need to pop the hood in the event I had it closed and the weather called for heat, just push the button and instant heat. You can pick up 5/8" heater hose at any parts store. Can use the fuse tap in F66 inside the cab for power.

Last edited:

MilehighRam

Reaction score
I bought my truck in late December 2019, and had come across this thread and did my research back then on the in case I needed to do this come spring. Here is what I was going to add if needed on my truck, but my a/c is more than fine. I figured I would run a push-button momentary switch to control in cab. My thinking is I wouldn't need to pop the hood in the event I had it closed and the weather called for heat, just push the button and instant heat. You can pick up 5/8" heater hose at any parts store. Can use the fuse tap in F66 inside the cab for power.

THIS seems like the way to go. Best of both worlds.

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You can use a brass valve and fittings as well to save a few bucks, I just liked the stainless version better for longevity/durability and looks OEM. I doubt anyone would ever be able to tell it wasn't a factory piece. Should work well, hope it helps someone.

Weside

Reaction score
Is there a procedure we can do to re calibrate or reset the hvac without needing Alfa OBD or dealer software?

Users who are viewing this thread