5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air conditioning Hack

ldoh

Reaction score
That's well overbuilt with respect to PSI. Not sure why they don't list the temp spec but given it's lead free I assume it's hot water heater rated. My hot water tank shows a max outlet temp of 160F. I assume pressurized engine hot water systems can reach 220F.

I had to google WOG. Looks like It's water, oil, gas max operating pressure rated at 100F temperature so it would need to be derated to our max temps (200F+). They don't show it but I see WSP is working steam pressure and it's rated for the max rated temperature. Fortunately they mention 150 PSI steam. 150 PSI at steam temps should easily handle the low pressures in our hot water system.

I'll order a backup just in case.

Last edited:

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We’ll steam is made at 212 degrees so I can only imagine that a rating of steam at 150 psi it should be fine for coolant at 205-220 deg.

PMantle

Reaction score
So, how hard is this? You guys have me scared of my first Louisiana summer in this truck. Are there step by step instructions in here? Is there a valve one can buy at home stores or auto part stores?

KcRay

Reaction score
Looking at that valve, how far closed (if not going fully closed) are most of you going?
Personally, I close my valve all the way. I want zero hot water going to my heater core. I look outside and I sweat. Some have a theory about stagnant water being in the heater core. I've been driving big rigs and heavy equipment for decades, they all have hot water shut off valves. You shut them off in the summer and turn them back on in the winter. No worries, what ever you decide!

KcRay

Reaction score
So, how hard is this? You guys have me scared of my first Louisiana summer in this truck. Are there step by step instructions in here? Is there a valve one can buy at home stores or auto part stores?
Here is a pic of the end result. If this makes sense to you, you can do it. MAKE SURE YOUR TRUCK ENGINE IS COLD AND NOT RUNNING! You'll want to install the valve to the outlet port of your water pump going to the heater core. Make sure that hose is going to the heater core and not the transmission warmer thing.
should say "out" on the hose, if not, it's the top hose of the two that go into the heater core.
No need to cut any hoses on the truck.
Take a 2 inch or so piece of 5/8 heater hose, install it on the valve with a clamp so it can go on water pump outlet. Put a pair of needle nose vise grips on the truck hose a few inches away from water pump, to keep from losing much antifreeze. Not so tight that you crush or tear the hose,(put a rag or something around the hose to protect it from the vise grips). Then loosen and pull that hose off the outlet of the water pump and quickly shove on the new hose with the valve on it, on the water pump, then put the original truck hose,(the one with the vise grips)on the other side of the valve. Take off the vise grips, tighten everything thing down. If you feel you lost much antifreeze, add some. Run the truck for 15-20 minutes at least, getting it all warmed up and hot, while watching for leaks.
I would think a mechanic would not charge more than 1/2hr labor or so for this.
This is only an example of how I did mine. Attempt at your own risk!
Screenshot_20200414-095228_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20200414-102721_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

Nibis

Reaction score
I've been driving big rigs and heavy equipment for decades, they all have hot water shut off valves. You shut them off in the summer and turn them back on in the winter.

Yep, my Ex Wife was a school bus driver, she used to complain in the late fall that the mechanics hadn't turned on the heat yet, then in the spring she would complain they hadn't turned it off yet :LOL:

Smerberj

Reaction score
Is this a Hemi issue? My Pentastars AC is absolutely fantastic, but I keep hearing about AC issues and the people with them have the Hemis.

AlianoF

Reaction score
I did the "KC Ray" AC hack today. Waiting for it to get mega hot before I can tell if there is a difference or not.

Attachments

• truck_pic3.jpeg
    truck_pic3.jpeg
    198.4 KB · Views: 241

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I did the "KC Ray" AC hack today. Waiting for it to get mega hot before I can tell if there is a difference or not.

It's huge. And if you're ever in doubt, just open up the valve on on a lovely August day to be reminded what you used to drive with.

KcRay

Reaction score
A big ship takes a long time to turn. I don't know anything really, but believe they won't change anything till the next generation of Ram. If you don't own one yet, go check one out. If you really like-love the truck, and the Ac is the one single thing holding you back from buying it, the "valve hack" works, and is so simple. Hopefully you'll feel the Ac blows "pretty cold to you". These are very very nice trucks.

Last edited:

sergetexan

Reaction score
Well I finally took the plunge as the weather in Houston is already in the eighties and I do not want to go thru another summer were short trips are unbearable. Only problem is I was in such a hurry I Installed valve on inlet hose , did a redo and of course took a bit to get the outlet hose off ( had to cut off) so a 20 minute job turned into An hour plus. Oh well, can’t wait to try out as the hot weather will be sooner than later!

Nibis

Reaction score
I've only used my A/C a couple times, but it doesn't seem as good as my Cherokee TrailHawk was. I got a valve on order. I may look into doing something electronic in the future

Ram1500OwnerMaybe

Reaction score
I don't think so. My dealer is clueless to it and my 2019 and 2020 both have this problem.

Thanks, after reading a few other posts, it issue isn't visible in all trucks just some.
If this is the case it can easily be tested during a test drive.

Users who are viewing this thread