5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AGM or Lead Acid Battery

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Not the X2 and Diehard may not be what they used to be, but 900CCA, 160 min reserve, and 3 year warranty.
Not sure what you're trying to say here? Agree that Diehard does not have the reputation it used to, but the X2 by Northstar is unbeatable...at a price of course with a 5-year warranty.

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not sure what you're trying to say here? Agree that Diehard does not have the reputation it used to, but the X2 by Northstar is unbeatable...at a price of course with a 5-year warranty.
The diehard has a 3 year non prorated warranty and higher CCA and reserve over the X2 at about the same price point.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
The diehard has a 3 year non prorated warranty and higher CCA and reserve over the X2 at about the same price point.
The Northstar X2 has a 5-year warranty and is a much better battery IMPO. To each their own my friend. Diehard is not the quality that it used to be...unfortunately. Bigger numbers aren't always better.

Snekpete

Reaction score
A very interesting battery discussion, at least for me. Take aways: the RAM 1500 comes stock with a lead acid battery for cost, but we should probably replace it with an AGM H8 when the time comes.

The achilles heel for Lithium Ion batteries is that keeping them fully charged significantly reduces their life span. I would think that would make them unsuitable for replacements to stock lead acid car starter batteries.

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A very interesting battery discussion, at least for me. Take aways: the RAM 1500 comes stock with a lead acid battery for cost, but we should probably replace it with an AGM H8 when the time comes.

The achilles heel for Lithium Ion batteries is that keeping them fully charged significantly reduces their life span. I would think that would make them unsuitable for replacements to stock lead acid car starter batteries.
Factory is an H7 AGM (for cost..assumed), the H8 fits in there and is better for the electrical load of everything in the truck

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Factory is an H7 AGM (for cost..assumed), the H8 fits in there and is better for the electrical load of everything in the truck

Not for all. My and many others have a H7 regular lead acid from the factory, not AGM.

Regardless, I agree, a H8 AGM will be better.

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not for all. My and many others have a H7 regular lead acid from the factory, not AGM.

Regardless, I agree, a H8 AGM will be better.
i have to agree with "UnloosedChew".my stock battery was and "AcidLead"

Attachments

• 20210619_132048.jpg
    20210619_132048.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 135
  • 20210619_132041.jpg
    20210619_132041.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 135

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i have to agree with "UnloosedChew".my stock battery was and "AcidLead"
Interesting, all the FCA products I've come across in recent years all had AGM. Well then forget what I said. LOL
An AGM in either size is better than that.

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Interesting, all the FCA products I've come across in recent years all had AGM. Well then forget what I said. LOL
An AGM in either size is better than that.
i think maybe the newer ones may have it.

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
the "Amazon"man came today to deliver my package.its a "Voltage guage" /charger.i put it in to see if it fits.not only it fits very well but gives me my voltage reading as well.12.40...YEA!!! 🥳 it kind of gives me peace of mind.it may not be for all ,but for me....YES(y)

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 27

pcar

Reaction score
Does anybody know if we need to update the ibs system charging to recognize a higher capacity agm is installed instead of the lead acid. Past vehicles i've owned required the ibs to be reset to recognize for a new battery or different capacity to charge it properly. The "intelligent" systems adapted over time as the battery aged on those vehicles. I scrolled thru alfaobd for a bit but didn't see anything obvious yet.

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Does anybody know if we need to update the ibs system charging to recognize a higher capacity agm is installed instead of the lead acid. Past vehicles i've owned required the ibs to be reset to recognize for a new battery or different capacity to charge it properly. The "intelligent" systems adapted over time as the battery aged on those vehicles. I scrolled thru alfaobd for a bit but didn't see anything obvious yet.
Good question! This is what I found in the manual.

When the IBS is powered up for the first time or is powered after a battery disconnect, it enters a “recalibration” phase,
where the IBS must recognize the type of battery and its characteristics and state. This information is sent to the IBS by
the BCM. In this phase the tolerances on the state functions (SOC, SOF) are greater than in normal working condition.
When the IBS is disconnected from the battery, the device loses its stored memory. When power is restored, the IBS starts
a relearn process. Until the relearn process is complete, accurate battery state information is unavailable to other vehicle
systems. The IBS relearn process requires one start and at least 4 hours of quiescent time (vehicle off, electrical system
asleep). Remember, the relearn process is restarted every time power is reconnected to the IBS. This has a major effect on
the stop/start feature.

1stTimeRAM

Reaction score
Just wanted to say thanks to all who have responded to this thread. It was very helpful to me yesterday. Battery in my 2019 gave up the ghost. Went with the H8 AGM battery from Walmart, and everything is good to go. Sad thing is that I just changed the battery in my wife's 2014 Grand Cherokee last month. Her factory AGM battery lasted over 7 years, while the Pb acid battery in my truck lasted just short of 3 years. Oh well, it was much easier to change the one in the truck than in the Jeep. ;)

GregSLC66

Reaction score
"Correct me if I'm wrong (I don't think the H8, 900 CCA fits)."
You are wrong Sir. It fits because it was made for the H8. Why FCA put in the smaller H7........ It must be all about the money. FCA added a little clip to hold the H7 from sliding sideways. If you have the Limited you will need the bigger battery. I had a Viper Security Alarm professionally installed which is powered by my battery. I also have a Vava Dash Cam. These units draw power from my H8, and my battery has plenty of power to spare.
Thank you so much for this info. My 2019 battery died today and this info was invaluable. Thank you for sharing this - I upgraded to the H8 from costco instead of the H7. Thanks again!!

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The capacity in watt hours ( or amp hours may be wrong here but its something similar ) is done in alphaobd.

The IBS does a relearn anytime the battery is disconnected. But that is dependent on what its expected capacity and readings are. It then decides how much to undercharge your battery based on voltage and resistance curves.

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thank you so much for this info. My 2019 battery died today and this info was invaluable. Thank you for sharing this - I upgraded to the H8 from costco instead of the H7. Thanks again!!
thats where i got my.saw it there while i was grocery shopping 😆 (y)

Attachments

• 20210617_140301.jpg
    20210617_140301.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 70

Users who are viewing this thread