5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AGM or Lead Acid Battery

Bluesurf

Reaction score
I just grabbed the last one at my local Walmart store.
Order subtotal:$169.77Total tax$14.01PickupFREEDonation to American Red Cross®$0.22 Order total $199.00
EverStart Platinum AGM Automotive Battery, Group Size H8:

• Absorbent Glass Mat (AGM)
  • For demanding applications and high electrical needs
  • Extended life, up to 2X the life of a conventional battery
  • 4 year free replacement warranty
  • Cold cranking amps: 900
Our Trucks come with a H7 Size Battery.,
I checked the battery compartment, it will fit easily a 13.75 inch long battery. The lock down is on the side, that too will be the same.

Last edited:

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've seen some of the 5.7 with the AGM. Maybe its a regional thing. FL is hard on lead acid wet cell batteries.

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Would love to see a pic of a 5.7 with factory AGM....

Bluesurf

Reaction score
I've seen some of the 5.7 with the AGM. Maybe its a regional thing. FL is hard on lead acid wet cell batteries.
I am shocked that for expensive trucks we got the old stuff. I have a 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, 60k miles and two weeks ago I removed the AGM battery from under the passenger seat and put in an Everstart AGM H8. The OEM AGM from Jeep is still after 6 years in perfect operation. the volts are 13.3, as it sits on the floor. It has never given me any issue whatsoever. I have always used the CTEK 7002 on my cars. I have three of these they keep the batteries sulfate free. My Jeep battery is proof. It tests like new. I removed it because 6 years is way beyond what I should trust. I'm in the HOT Houston climate. It can be really tough on your battery.

Attachments

• bat.jpg
    bat.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 151

Bluesurf

Reaction score
Here's and update with the finished product. The new massively big battery fit perfectly in because the battery box was designed for this beast. There were two plastic snaps that poped out, it held the small FCA battery to the front. remove them and you have room up to 14.5 inches.
I put in two Everstart AGM H8's batteries. In my RAM it was in under 30 minutes. In my Grand Cherokee, about an hour. Its under the passenger seat. Mercedes Stupidity. All my LOST "Apps" returned in one hour. What really amazed me was the little power a measly 730CC, in a factory optioned out Limited. It never stayed at 100% charge it always drooped to 50%. I use a CTEK 7002 to keep my cars desulphated toped off. That's why that 2014 AGM Battery on the left is in like new condition. The Everstart is manufactured by Johnson Controls. The warranty 4 years is Best in all of Batteries for this price class and power. The warranty is NOT prorated. I'll give these used batteries to my lawn guys.

Attachments

• Bat.jpg
    Bat.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 320
  • Bat1.jpg
    Bat1.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 318
  • Bat2.jpg
    Bat2.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 313
Last edited:

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Here's and update with the finished product. The new massively big battery fit perfectly in because the battery box was designed for this beast. There were two plastic snaps that poped out, it held the small FCA battery to the front. remove them and you have room up to 14.5 inches.
I put in two Everstart AGM H8's batteries. In my RAM it was in under 30 minutes. In my Grand Cherokee, about an hour. Its under the passenger seat. Mercedes Stupidity. All my LOST "Apps" returned in one hour. What really amazed me was the little power a measly 730CC, in a factory optioned out Limited. It never stayed at 100% charge it always drooped to 50%. I use a CTEK 7002 to keep my cars desulphated toped off. That's why that 2014 AGM Battery on the left is in like new condition. The Everstart is manufactured by Johnson Controls. The warranty 4 years is Best in all of Batteries for this price class and power. The warranty is NOT prorated. I'll give these used batteries to my lawn guys.
I picked up this same battery tonight after going to Costco and coming out to a truck that wouldn’t crank. Dropped the truck off at home and took my wife’s car to Walmart to get one of these H8 ones.

busa2009

Ram Guru
Reaction score
curious how this battery is still holding up....

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Just curious how you use the battery charger (CTEK 7002)? Do your vehicles sit for long periods, or are you connecting it after each time you drive? My truck is a daily driver on a 45 mile round trip commute, so I don't see a need to keep it topped off.

hecpilot

Reaction score
Great writeup. Did you have to break or cut out the two plastic snaps, or do they pop out easily?

Bluesurf

Reaction score
Great writeup. Did you have to break or cut out the two plastic snaps, or do they pop out easily?
You only need to "pop" off one of them. The H8 will fit length perfectly and the screw down on the side will be reattached for your new battery. On the battery side that gismo will pop off if you rock it. The battery holder was made for H8 not H7. CFA added a small widget to accommodate the H7.

BNeal

Reaction score
It has caps under the stickers, AGMs AFAIK do not have caps to top off the cells.

Next time mine dies, I'm dropping one of these in and never looking back

I have one in my plane and it is fantastic and feels like a toy. I went from a 17lb battety to a 14 ounce battery. It's nuts, and it has 40 more AH and 100 minutes more reserve AND a low charge lockout reserve you can press to "jump yourself"
Ok, for your Gulfstream? I get that. But $1k for a car battery, you've got to be joking!

Bluesurf

Reaction score
Ok, for your Gulfstream? I get that. But $1k for a car battery, you've got to be joking!
Price an Antigravity battery. They are ridiculously expensive to purchase. I just replaced my AGM battery new from 2014 on my Grand Cherokee. My lawn man took my old battery to put in his sons car. Honestly the 2014 AGM was still like new. I always used either a CTEK 7002 or a CTEK MUS 4.3 on my batteries 4-5 times a year to keep them fresh.
In a few years the price of Antigravity batteries will be at a more realistic price and they will have a history on longevity.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
MSRP. I got mine for about $680? so the price of two decent AGM batteries and it'll outlast them.

NO ONE makes a decent AGM battery anymore. They have all gone to crap. Johnson Controls needs to die.

/ I have a seaplane. The weight savings is ridiculous for an airplane. 17lb lead acid to a 14 ounce lithium with higher cranking amps and more AH and reserve time. plus even if the battery is low, even if you run it down to the shutoff, you can hit the button or use the fob and presto, full power, no slow cranking, no dimming lights. It is nothing like a lead acid where you take it down 15-20% and its drooping voltage. it won't drop voltage until it is within 3-4% of dead.

Bluesurf

Reaction score
For myself $1k/$600. for a car battery is insanity. Bought my H8 AGM top rated at Walmart. Paid $200.00 without a return/trade. It comes with a 4 year warranty.

• Top post
  • Automotive battery fits in various makes, models and years. Need help finding the right battery? Battery Lookup Tool
  • Free battery testing and installation at your local Walmart Auto Care Center
  • If you need to get rid of your old battery, there is free lead acid battery recycling at your local Walmart

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For myself $1k/$600. for a car battery is insanity. Bought my H8 AGM top rated at Walmart. Paid $200.00 without a return/trade. It comes with a 4 year warranty.

• Top post
  • Automotive battery fits in various makes, models and years. Need help finding the right battery? Battery Lookup Tool
  • Free battery testing and installation at your local Walmart Auto Care Center
  • If you need to get rid of your old battery, there is free lead acid battery recycling at your local Walmart
I know. I've returned the group 65 AGM battery in another vehicle to my local store every year or so when it dies and get a new one off the shelf. The one I've got now has somehow made it 14 months. Warranty on crap is still crap. even if it is convenient.

Code2medic

Reaction score
I've been having to go AGM on my newer cars. All the accessories have so much drain/pull that it's almost required at this point IMO.

A bunch of the batteries from various brands (AutoZone, Advanced Auto Parts, etc.) are all made by the same manufacturer and rebranded. I've been buying mine from Advanced with coupons which ends up cheaper than AutoZone or whoever.

I believe the correct battery is: Platinum AGM Battery, Group Size H7, 850 CCA

Correct me if I'm wrong (I don't think the H8, 900 CCA fits).

For those buying the Optima batteries, check this video out:

Beat me to it

Code2medic

Reaction score
It has caps under the stickers, AGMs AFAIK do not have caps to top off the cells.

Next time mine dies, I'm dropping one of these in and never looking back

I have one in my plane and it is fantastic and feels like a toy. I went from a 17lb battety to a 14 ounce battery. It's nuts, and it has 40 more AH and 100 minutes more reserve AND a low charge lockout reserve you can press to "jump yourself"
1200 for a car battery to add one more app to a phone? Yeah no thanks for half that price you can add a second battery setup and have the same functionals and more drain time.... dropping 30lbs on a half ton truck is not going have any benefit.
On a airplane sure one a motorcycle sure on a sports car or race car ok but not on a truck.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's was half that price ( $680 ), and its 52lbs lost, for 3 times the CCA ( 1800 CCA ) and double the usable reserve time for the same amp hours since a lithium will keep chugging to dead ( 20% reserve at full power voltage and amps ) while a AGM or lead acid will drop voltage and amps substantially below 50%.

Code2medic

Reaction score
It's was half that price ( $680 ), and its 52lbs lost, for 3 times the CCA ( 1800 CCA ) and double the usable reserve time for the same amp hours since a lithium will keep chugging to dead ( 20% reserve at full power voltage and amps ) while a AGM or lead acid will drop voltage and amps substantially below 50%.
680 is still triple of what a dual battery system cost.... 1800 cca come on man not even the Toyota Tundra designed for the coldest place on earth uses or needs 1800cca and 52 lbs loss that’s still provides no benefit, my 125 German shepherd has no impact other then leaving fur mud with the occasional fart in my truck and he is in it every day. Also you state lithium chugs till dead and that’s where your regulators and equipment prevent that drain.

Let’s also look into obtaining your 680 battery some where on the road immediately if needed that’s not going to happen..... red tops and yellow tops are found every where....

Your reasoning and list supporting paying that much is your business there is always more then one way to do things, but I don’t agree with your logic or reasoning or attempt to justify it as some Magical thing, I respect what works for you, but your ability clearly having a airplane is outside the realm of those who don’t own airplanes which I’m guessing is the majority.

I’ll stick with proven to work cost effective and easy to replace if needed also I’ll stick with what works at work where the 5 to 6 batteries running ambulances and fire trucks in both 12 and 24v configurations experience extreme cold and ice up to ridiculous heat at a moments notice just to freeze again afterwards and they continue to work let’s not forget they are off the self batteries where the government paid 10 times of what they cost walking into a store.

in any case what works for you does I can’t argue that nor can i say how to spend your money, but I’ll voice my opinion on not being the best or cheapest way and what sounds like a over reach when it comes to cost like that aka a money grab.

Cheers if it works why change it at the end of the day..

Users who are viewing this thread