5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AGM or Lead Acid Battery

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Bluesurf

Reaction score
Beat me to it
"Correct me if I'm wrong (I don't think the H8, 900 CCA fits)."
You are wrong Sir. It fits because it was made for the H8. Why FCA put in the smaller H7........ It must be all about the money. FCA added a little clip to hold the H7 from sliding sideways. If you have the Limited you will need the bigger battery. I had a Viper Security Alarm professionally installed which is powered by my battery. I also have a Vava Dash Cam. These units draw power from my H8, and my battery has plenty of power to spare.

Longkoy

Reaction score
Here in Fl, the battery on my truck that drained on me was a Flooded Battery, the dealer changed it because still under warranty, drained on me again. But the worse part is that I have to bring it to the dealer for reprogramming of the Truck computer that deals with transmision and other functions after the battery died (and it is still in the dealer now while I am writing this), I am planning to buy an AGM battery instead, but I am also thinking about having LFP. My friend have LFP (Lithium Iron Phosphate) batteries on his RV, it says: 3000 to 5000 cycles on 90% DOD, compared to AGM's about 500 cycles at 50% Depth of discharge (usable extracted power), then LFP have about 10years of life - according to my friend.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Here in Fl, the battery on my truck that drained on me was a Flooded Battery, the dealer changed it because still under warranty, drained on me again. But the worse part is that I have to bring it to the dealer for reprogramming of the Truck computer that deals with transmision and other functions after the battery died (and it is still in the dealer now while I am writing this), I am planning to buy an AGM battery instead, but I am also thinking about having LFP. My friend have LFP (Lithium Iron Phosphate) batteries on his RV, it says: 3000 to 5000 cycles on 90% DOD, compared to AGM's about 500 cycles at 50% Depth of discharge (usable extracted power), then LFP have about 10years of life - according to my friend.
I believe that the Lithium batteries are also about $1000 versa a good quality AGM at around $200 or an excellent quality AGM at at about $300 like the X2Power by Northstar.

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Those LiPo’s are deep cycle, not starter batteries. Great but will not solve your problem...(nor worth the cost unless saving weight is a priority).

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Exactly. LFP isn't a starter battery. Does fine for RV applications.
Now this guy disagrees: https://www.dieselarmy.com/news/lithium-pros-high-performance-ultra-lightweight-truck-batteries/
Lithium Pros: High Performance Ultra Lightweight Truck ...
www.dieselarmy.com › news › lithium-pros-high-perfo...

Mar 11, 2019 — To bring you right up to speed, you're familiar with our drag truck, Project ... By using a Lithium Pros battery, you're going to improve your cold weather ... The starter sounds healthier than it ever has and the accessories of the ..."

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Exactly. LFP isn't a starter battery. Does fine for RV applications.
Now this guy disagrees: https://www.dieselarmy.com/news/lithium-pros-high-performance-ultra-lightweight-truck-batteries/
Lithium Pros: High Performance Ultra Lightweight Truck ...
www.dieselarmy.com › news › lithium-pros-high-perfo...
Mar 11, 2019 — To bring you right up to speed, you're familiar with our drag truck, Project ... By using a Lithium Pros battery, you're going to improve your cold weather ... The starter sounds healthier than it ever has and the accessories of the ..."
Yeah, that guy’s a scientist and fountain of facts...

Of course you can use a deep cycle for starting - any source of sufficient current will work in the short term. I have a lithium (different chemistry) in the dirt bike, but it’s application is more like a race car battery - occasional starting, lightest weight possible. But they don’t last in Harleys, as high rate discharges shorten their cycle life.

You can get certain lithium chemistries for starting batteries, but they’re usually not labeled RV/Deep Cycle/Golf Cart...

Last edited:

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You are wrong Sir. It fits because it was made for the H8. Why FCA put in the smaller H7........ It must be all about the money. FCA added a little clip to hold the H7 from sliding sideways. If you have the Limited you will need the bigger battery. I had a Viper Security Alarm professionally installed which is powered by my battery. I also have a Vava Dash Cam. These units draw power from my H8, and my battery has plenty of power to spare.
Now he's talking.thats what i been wanting to hear.i have an amp in my truck.700watts the "limited HK" has 900watts.with all the speakers.and my battery will not hold a charge 😲 WTF! i got it lower than the "Limited with the "HK"so i wouldnt have to worry about it not holding a charge...amd ot cant.:mad:i am on my 2nd h7 battery...again "WTF"!😲:mad:

Attachments

• 103_1614_In.jpg
    103_1614_In.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 53

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Now he's talking.thats what i been wanting to hear.i have an amp in my truck.700watts the "limited HK" has 900watts.with all the speakers.and my battery will not hold a charge 😲 WTF! i got it lower than the "Limited with the "HK"so i wouldnt have to worry about it not holding a charge...amd ot cant.:mad:i am on my 2nd h7 battery...again "WTF"!😲:mad:
Get the Northstar X2...you won't be sorry!

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
"SecurityGuy"always got my back (y) ;)
hey "SecurityGuy"👋..i went shopping today at "Costco".i decided to check out if they had any batteries.they had a bumchon shelf and just the size i was looking for.the H8 AGM.i was suprise the see the size difference.😲iwas told by all you guys that the H7 is to small to manage our Rams with all those electronics device the run it.one guy mention one reason why the ram doesnt come with the h8 is CO$T.for some who might not know the size diff........(Oh P,s "Size does matter"):LOL: P.s again .check out the Price(im a "CheapBastard")

Attachments

• 20210617_140304.jpg
    20210617_140304.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 185

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
hey "SecurityGuy"👋..i went shopping today at "Costco".i decided to check out if they had any batteries.they had a bumchon shelf and just the size i was looking for.the H8 AGM.i was suprise the see the size difference.😲iwas told by all you guys that the H7 is to small to manage our Rams with all those electronics device the run it.one guy mention one reason why the ram doesnt come with the h8 is CO$T.for some who might not know the size diff........(Oh P,s "Size does matter"):LOL: P.s again .check out the Price(im a "CheapBastard")
Everyone has their reason for buying what they buy. For me, it has never been about price. For another $83, you would have a far superior battery with the Northstar X2 and a full 5-year warranty versus 3 years. If that's not worth an additional $83 to you...that is a decision only you can make my friend ;)

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey "BlueSurf"you talked me into one.your right they do fit..Perfectly 👍 .i was just thinking about what you said.about why "Chyrsler"put that"car battery" in the Ram.... yeah i know .."Cost"(cheap bastards).but was thinking what size they put in the "TRX"😲😲🤔

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wow! that is alot of draw!

RAMSTER@

Reaction score
I just did the H8 swap on my 5.7 4x4 2019 Bighorn. That's a no brainer - the battery insulation won't fit on the new one (unless you modify it), but that's extraneous anyway. Once you remove the old battery you remove a small plastic spacer on the bottom of the tray, it unclips and pops right out, then the new larger battery drops right in. Make sure to get the drivers side and the front of the new battery under the tabs in the tray, then put the hold down back in. After researching the batteries I wanted to go AGM, but didn't want to spend $299. So I bought the Interstate H8 AGM from Costco for $177.99 + $15 core and tax.

Step by step:
Remove positive cable with 13mm (just the flat cable, not the adaptor that actually bolts to the battery)
Remove negative cable with 10mm (just the flat cable again, not the adaptor and resistor? plug in)
Unplug small resistor on negative adaptor
Lift off insulation
Unbolt battery hold down with 10mm socket - I pulled the bolt and the plastic wedgie both out
Lift out old H7 battery

On the ground with both batteries:
Unbolt the two adaptors that are on the two terminals w 10mm - move to new battery (same alignment) and tighten

Remove the plastic wedgie inside of the bottom of the battery tray towards the driver's seat. It's really easy to unclip.
Drop in new H8 battery
Tuck the front and driver's side of the battery under the tray tabs.
Put in plastic battery hold down wedgie (slots align with the tray so it really only goes one way)
Thread in 10mm long bolt into the wedgie - tighten w 10mm socket (watch not to hit the + terminal)
Attach negative flat cable to negative terminal adaptor w 10mm nut, tighten (the new battery is longer so it doesn't want to sit flat). I think you could bend that flat terminal a bit to make it it fit better, but I just bolted it down.
Attached positive flat cable to + terminal adaptor with 13mm nut, tighten
Start truck

DONE! Maybe 15 minutes if you are eating a sandwich and drinking a beer...

Some good info on Interstate AGM:

Last edited:

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I just did the H8 swap on my 5.7 4x4 2019 Bighorn. That's a no brainer - the battery insulation won't fit on the new one (unless you modify it), but that's extraneous anyway. Once you remove the old battery you remove a small plastic spacer on the bottom of the tray, it unclips and pops right out, then the new larger battery drops right in. Make sure to get the drivers side and the front of the new battery under the tabs in the tray, then put the hold down back in. After researching the batteries I wanted to go AGM, but didn't want to spend $299. So I bought the Interstate H8 AGM from Costco for $177.99 + $15 core and tax.

Step by step:
Remove positive cable with 13mm (just the flat cable, not the adaptor that actually bolts to the battery)
Remove negative cable with 10mm (just the flat cable again, not the adaptor and resistor? plug in)
Lift off insulation
Unbolt battery hold down with 10mm socket - I pulled the bolt and the plastic wedgie both out
Lift out old H7 battery

Unbolt the two adaptors that are on the two terminals w 10mm - move to new battery (same alignment) and tighten

Remove the plastic wedgie inside of the bottom of the battery tray towards the driver's seat. It's really easy to unclip.
Drop in new H8 battery
Put in plastic battery hold down wedgie (slots align with the tray so it really only goes one way)
Thread in 10mm long bolt into the wedgie - tighten w 10mm socket (watch not to hit the + terminal)
Attach negative flat cable to negative terminal adaptor (the new battery is longer so it doesn't want to sit flat). I think you could bend that flat terminal a bit to make it it fit better, but I just bolted it down.
Attached positive flat cable to + terminal adaptor
Start truck

DONE! Maybe 15 minutes if you are eating a sandwich and enjoying a beer...
Great decision to upgrade to a H8!

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Step by step:
Lift off insulation
Lift out old H7 battery

Drop in new H8 battery
Attach negative flat cable to negative terminal adaptor w 10mm nut, tighten (the new battery is longer so it doesn't want to sit flat). I think you could bend that flat terminal a bit to make it it fit better, but I just bolted it down.
Attached positive flat cable to + terminal adaptor with 13mm nut, tighten
Start truck

DONE! Maybe 15 minutes if you are eating a sandwich and drinking a beer...

Some good info on Interstate AGM:
that is where i got my also👍❗

Attachments

• 20210617_140304.jpg
    20210617_140304.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 153
  • 100_1876_InPixio.jpg
    100_1876_InPixio.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 157

Users who are viewing this thread