5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aftermarket 13.6" Display Radio

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Ill live with it, dont want to spend another $150 bucks lol

Looks promising but I aint trying to spend anymore money haha.

_____

**UPDATE**

My radio has been strangely keeping up with the time now, and I did not put my SIM card in. Maybe it finally picked up from CarPlay? Strange, because that would be the only place it could get it from. Other than that, besides the typical little android quirks here and there, nothing has changed since my last update. Radio is working great, wireless CarPlay connects 8 out of 10 times right away, which is better than alot of aftermarket adaptors. Sorry I have not tested the brake release yet. The audio system sounds FANTASTIC once you get the EQ dialed in. (remember, dont use the built in bluetooth menu, the audio bitrate thru there is TERRIBLE).

Everyone who gets in my truck cant believe how amazing the screen looks. Even my friend with a ram with the 12" Uconnect said "man your screen seems so much bigger".

Popping my SIM card in tomorrow just to be able to use the apps without my phone connected, such as Youtube and all that stuff. The mobile hotspot from t-mobile phones just doesn't provide enough bandwidth around here to play any of the apps with good quality.

Again, for the money, once the quirks are figured out, you accept that FM radio sucks (I just use XM thru CarPlay instead), and the backup cam sucks - but useable, once CarPlay starts connecting reliably (seems to take a day or two to settle in, I recommend snaking the USB cable from the back of the radio down into your storage area for those times you need to connect the phone and use wired CarPlay when wireless wont work), once Car Launcher Pro is set up (very easy) and your EQ is set up nice on it, its a WIN, for $700!! I stress this again, I dont think I would keep the radio if it wasn't for CarPlay. But because we do have android auto and CarPlay, it is an AMAZING radio for those things, and looks cool as hell on top of that.

By the way, I purchased thru 13.6” Android 10 Vertical Screen Navigation Radio for Dodge Ram 2019- 2022

. View attachment 148402
Would you mind sending a pic of your EQ?

Also, does the front/back fader work?

terrywarfield

Reaction score
326578440_1218965889033850_3719998499118818315_n.jpg 326244147_891161208792867_1178686534501337317_n.jpg
**3 WEEK UPDATE**. OVERALL, still pretty happy with this radio, once you get everything dialed in, despite its quirks, it's still a breath of fresh air compared to uconnect. So a few things: 1. FM radio still sucks. I have even pulled the radio to make sure the connection was solid, and also, changed the FM always on setting to on, and it still blows. I have since just started using Tuneitradio or XM instead. 2. Wireless CarPlay is amazing, but very temperamental. It goes thru phases where it connects automatically as soon as you are in the car, other times, it just doesn't want to connect at all. I have found that sometimes, closing the app and restarting it on the radio fixes it, but I also suspect sometimes it's my iPhone, because sometimes a restart of my phone also fixes it. Wired CarPlay works pretty solid. The other thing I found out is for people who dont want to use CarPlay, and dont want to pop in a SIM card, or use their wireless hotspot, if you disable the radio from auto launching the CarPlay app, and you plug your iPhone into USB, it will ask you do you want to "trust this device". If you say yes, it will hardwire your phone as your data connection so you can run all of your apps without CarPlay. Just keep in mind, you have to either use it this way, or with CarPlay, not both. One cancels the other out. 3. Still loving the built in EQ, it really wakes up the factory system (and I have a sub wired directly to the radio.). 4. There are times the back up camera just doesn't come on. I havent figured out why, but it's usually right after the truck starts. I think the radio just takes a few moments to load all the necessary things in, but it's mad annoying. 5. For some reason, my microphone volume is very very low. Most people complain I sound like I am "far away". I am going to see if there is a setting to fix this, or maybe I didnt plug something up right. Overall, for $700, this thing ROCKS, it just takes some finesse and patience to get it right, and being able to live with its quirks. 326578440_1218965889033850_3719998499118818315_n.jpg 326244147_891161208792867_1178686534501337317_n.jpg

Geddyflea

Reaction score
View attachment 149338 View attachment 149339
**3 WEEK UPDATE**. OVERALL, still pretty happy with this radio, once you get everything dialed in, despite its quirks, it's still a breath of fresh air compared to uconnect. So a few things: 1. FM radio still sucks. I have even pulled the radio to make sure the connection was solid, and also, changed the FM always on setting to on, and it still blows. I have since just started using Tuneitradio or XM instead. 2. Wireless CarPlay is amazing, but very temperamental. It goes thru phases where it connects automatically as soon as you are in the car, other times, it just doesn't want to connect at all. I have found that sometimes, closing the app and restarting it on the radio fixes it, but I also suspect sometimes it's my iPhone, because sometimes a restart of my phone also fixes it. Wired CarPlay works pretty solid. The other thing I found out is for people who dont want to use CarPlay, and dont want to pop in a SIM card, or use their wireless hotspot, if you disable the radio from auto launching the CarPlay app, and you plug your iPhone into USB, it will ask you do you want to "trust this device". If you say yes, it will hardwire your phone as your data connection so you can run all of your apps without CarPlay. Just keep in mind, you have to either use it this way, or with CarPlay, not both. One cancels the other out. 3. Still loving the built in EQ, it really wakes up the factory system (and I have a sub wired directly to the radio.). 4. There are times the back up camera just doesn't come on. I havent figured out why, but it's usually right after the truck starts. I think the radio just takes a few moments to load all the necessary things in, but it's mad annoying. 5. For some reason, my microphone volume is very very low. Most people complain I sound like I am "far away". I am going to see if there is a setting to fix this, or maybe I didnt plug something up right. Overall, for $700, this thing ROCKS, it just takes some finesse and patience to get it right, and being able to live with its quirks. View attachment 149338 View attachment 149339
Thanks for keeping everyone updated with the comprehensive updates. It's greatly appreciated!

dlrsavannah

Reaction score
Does anybody know what carrier these radios work with? I tried the imei's on Verizon's website and they both showed not compatible. The same goes with T Mobile.

Last edited:

vincentw56

Reaction score
Does anybody know what carrier these radios work with? I tried the imei's on Verizon's website and they both showed not compatible. The same goes with T Mobile.
Mine works fine on AT&T.

vincentw56

Reaction score
@terrywarfield I asked above, but I'll ask again.

Would you mind sending a pic of your EQ?

Also, does the front/back fader work?

scooch

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info guys, going to pull the trigger soon. Upgrading from the 5" base radio in my rebel, as it seems to be cheaper and less hassle than going for the OEM 8.4" upgrade. Never had a tablet unit before, I assume we can get upgrades as released (if this china-knockoff even bothers) but it sounds like security updates are not a thing... meaning this is A10 so it'll forever be stuck on A10 without security updates correct? Not deal breaker but curious.

Questions - I have single zone climate, how is that going to work with this unit? Hoping it just ignores and both side-temp controls control the main? Also I do have future plans of installing OEM heated seats (it's a ski-rig camper in CO... waking up to 0F in parking lots regularly)... How do the features work that the trucks dont have, do they show on the menu's but do nothing unless wired up? Meaning if/when I wire the heated seats they would just start working (theoretically?)

Thanks all, I figure coming from the 5" it's going to be a 1000% improvement... Really was fine with the basic 5" aside from the fact that it won't auto-connect to my bluetooth music on startup and therefore blare the FM radio (at double volume) for 10 seconds before responding to my volume input :)

Last edited:

vincentw56

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info guys, going to pull the trigger soon. Upgrading from the 5" base radio in my rebel, as it seems to be cheaper and less hassle than going for the OEM 8.4" upgrade. Never had a tablet unit before, I assume we can get upgrades as released (if this china-knockoff even bothers) but it sounds like security updates are not a thing... meaning this is A10 so it'll forever be stuck on A10 without security updates correct? Not deal breaker but curious.

Questions - I have single zone climate, how is that going to work with this unit? Hoping it just ignores and both side-temp controls control the main? Also I do have future plans of installing OEM heated seats (it's a ski-rig camper in CO... waking up to 0F in parking lots regularly)... How do the features work that the trucks dont have, do they show on the menu's but do nothing unless wired up? Meaning if/when I wire the heated seats they would just start working (theoretically?)

Thanks all, I figure coming from the 5" it's going to be a 1000% improvement... Really was fine with the basic 5" aside from the fact that it won't auto-connect to my bluetooth music on startup and therefore blare the FM radio (at double volume) for 10 seconds before responding to my volume input :)
All items show up regardless of you have them or not. No, real OS updates, but normal app updates come down just fine.

vincentw56

Reaction score
I have a 9 speaker Alpine system. I can't hear any sounds when I moved the fader to front. I have to check yet tomorrow if my front row and dashboard speakers is working.
The equalizer fader doesn't work. You need to go into car settings, amplifier to find the factory settings. I had this issue to. There is also a separate volume control in there. Make sure to set it higher, like 20. This will allow the system to have a louder sound without distortion.

Alakdan

Reaction score
The equalizer fader doesn't work. You need to go into car settings, amplifier to find the factory settings. I had this issue to. There is also a separate volume control in there. Make sure to set it higher, like 20. This will allow the system to have a louder sound without distortion.
Thanks.

Alakdan

Reaction score
Which one is SIM Slot 1 and SIM Slot 2?

And how I make the Android Auto to full screen?

vincentw56

Reaction score
Which one is SIM Slot 1 and SIM Slot 2?

And how I make the Android Auto to full screen?
I'm not sure on AA as I know longer need to use it with that screen. SIM 1 is the one on the back of the screen. SIM 2 is the one on the cable. I use SIM 2 and have the cable accessible in the front. That way I can switch it if needed without the need to remove the screen.

Alakdan

Reaction score
I'm not sure on AA as I know longer need to use it with that screen. SIM 1 is the one on the back of the screen. SIM 2 is the one on the cable. I use SIM 2 and have the cable accessible in the front. That way I can switch it if needed without the need to remove the screen.
Thanks, are you using AT&T?

vincentw56

Reaction score
Would it work better on a phone wi-fi access point that uses a 5G?
It seems to work well using my phone as a hotspot. But then it defeats my goal of not having to use my phone at all. I have looked into a 5G hotspot device. I could use that with it and my comma. So, that's a good option.

Users who are viewing this thread