5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aftermarket 13.6" Display Radio

JustARam23

Reaction score
I have the UC4 12" and I am considering swapping to the Phoenix unit.

Is it worth it? I like the customization, full screen AA, wireless AA, and Google assistant by default.

Aside from the camera/mic being a little sub par. Has anyone had any real issues? Freezing, bad audio quality, app issues? Has the unit lasted more then a few months etc

Any feedback is appreciated

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Is it worth it? I like the customization, full screen AA, wireless AA, and Google assistant by default.

Aside from the camera/mic being a little sub par. Has anyone had any real issues? Freezing, bad audio quality, app issues? Has the unit lasted more then a few months etc

My only issue has been the volume lowers on its on. It doesn't happen all the time. But you can see the volume indicator come on the screen and watch it lower by itself. It will do it several times in a row. And then it eventually stop and be fine. But it seems to only do it occasionally. Outside of that I have not had any real issues with it. I do like having full screen Waze.

Ryno

Reaction score

The screen on mine completely went out, at 6 months or so. I've been waiting on a replacement for two weeks now, which wouldn't be a big deal, but now I have no AC control and it's been 100 degrees. I thought about going back to a factory set up, but I can't get a full refund either, since the original order was over 120 days.

vincentw56

Reaction score
The controls on the side don't work if the screen doesn't work? I wonder if it is more than just the screen then.

Ryno

Reaction score
The controls on the side don't work if the screen doesn't work? I wonder if it is more than just the screen then.
Controls on the side worked, but I had to send it the entire unit back before they would send me a new one.

JustARam23

Reaction score
See that's what scares me with these Chinese units.

There are 3 big things I hate with the factory...

It stops the ac during messages
AA is not full screen
You can default Google assistant, the built in is trash.....

vincentw56

Reaction score

AA is not full screen
Even the factory ones die. The only reason I got it was for full screen Android Auto and I don't even use that now. I just have a SIM card and use full screen Waze. No need to have my phone connected at all. It's even better that way. But it was a lot of money to get full screen. I'm not sure if I would do it again. If UC5 or UC6 eventually get full screen, then I'll go back to factory.

Ryno

Reaction score

AA is not full screen
Even the components in the factory units are Chinese, or Taiwanese, maybe some Korean. Though, the secret has always been in the quality control; at this point it’s about even. Also, with the majority of electronics they usually don’t just fade out, they work until they don’t anymore.

JustARam23

Reaction score
It's not that it's just Chinese that scares me, these android units have a rep for dying. Yes factory units die, but not typically at the rate these android units tend to. I am looking for longevity and usability feedback.

Having no ac control is not an option. I like the features the unit offers such as wireless android auto, full screen AA, and other features just don't want it craping out on me

Ryno

Reaction score
On the bright side, I should have my replacement tomorrow or Wednesday. It's been a long 3 weeks... They do let you pay a deposit and you can keep the old one, until the new one comes in, and refund when you send the old one back. That would have let me keep AC control, but it was 80% of the original price (which I thought was a bit much) and it was only supposed to be a 1 week turnaround.

TosaInu

Reaction score
I guess I will revive this thread if for no other reason than me being frustrated beyond belief. First off, I thank everyone who contributed to this thread. I actually own a 2017 Ram 2500 CTD which I believe is considered 4th generation rather than 5th, but this thread was far and away the most helpful thread I found with regards to whether or not to take the plunge on this unit so seriously, I thank all of you for the input.

Anyway, I ordered on 09/06 and immediately filled out their little Google Docs form to give them two pictures of my current head unit along with all of the other details. Since that time, I have continued to receive daily emails that they have not received that information from me. I have filled out that stupid form three times and I have also emailed them the information as well, yet I continue to receive those stinkin emails. If I attempt to cancel my order, I get the message seen in my attached photo.

Anyway, I knew this experience was not ripe for joy after reading this entire thread (several times), but I guess I am just asking if anyone else has had this experience? Honestly, I really want to try this head unit & see if I get one that works for me within acceptable parameters but otherwise return it, but it seems like they just don't GAF about anything & maybe I should just contact my credit card company & start the arbitration process. I guess I am just looking for some feedback on whether others have gone through this same BS but ultimately received their head unit & hopefully, were mostly happy with it.

I have viewed so many videos and read so many posts about this company that at this point, my head hurts from all of the back and forth with some loving it & others classifying it as a POS. What I do know is that the UConnect system in a 2017 Ram is complete garbage so yeah, I would love to at least try this unit, but their complete lack of communication is not only frustrating but also concerning since for all I know, they are simply trying to take my money & will never even attempt to deliver a product. Any feedback you all have on your actual purchase experience is very much appreciated.

Thank you.

Attachments

• POS_Android_Phoenix.png
    POS_Android_Phoenix.png
    47.6 KB · Views: 37

TosaInu

Reaction score
Well, I guess this thread isn't very active these days but in case it helps others, I was finally given confirmation that they received my details a few days ago and my unit shipped this morning so I guess I will find out if this unit is worth it or not soon enough.

doomologist

Reaction score
I am considering upgrading to this unit from the 5" Uconnect unit. I am interested if anyone has any experience with this upgrade and if there are any issues in the install?

vincentw56

Reaction score
I am considering upgrading to this unit from the 5" Uconnect unit. I am interested if anyone has any experience with this upgrade and if there are any issues in the install?
If you read through this thread, you will see a few of us have installed this. And issues have been pointed out.

JustARam23

Reaction score
Oh so it does have the AHD option.. found a AHD converter online waiting to hear what resolution the output is. Do those grey bars go away with just the backup cam activated.. the demo video quality/size looks better. But then again kinda hard to tell from a screen grab.. did it have a CVBS input option?
View attachment 138107

Here’s the converter I found.. it’s what they use in the Linkswell systems…

LinksWell JDCAMADPT-19 Factory Adapter for Jeep Wrangler 2018 2019 2020 and RAM 2019 2020 Factory Camera Retention Interface Factory Video Signal Adapter Camera https://a.co/d/gKq1lsU
I know this is abit late, but using this adaptor did you loose the parking lines?

This dramatically improved the picture quality but I lost the parking lines

bearbox

Reaction score
Just installed my unit last night, FM Radio and the Android Bluetooth have sound. but any apps on the android side and car play do not have sound. Anyone else experience this?

vincentw56

Reaction score
Just installed my unit last night, FM Radio and the Android Bluetooth have sound. but any apps on the android side and car play do not have sound. Anyone else experience this?
All my apps work fine, Waze, Amazon Music, etc.

TosaInu

Reaction score
I realize that this forum is for 5th generation Rams, however, my assumption is that these units are essentially the same ROM with different form factors for different generations, so I wanted to follow-up here with how things went with my 4th generation Phoenix Automotive radio upgrade. For clarity, I purchased this one (again, I assume the 5th generation is the same as long as it is also running Android 12)

When I ordered, they did not offer the 256GB ROM option so I purchased the 128GB ROM with 8GB RAM & I highly encourage anyone who buys one of these to purchase the maximum amount of RAM available at the time, whereas the ROM may not be as important unless you plan to install a ton of junk on the unit or store video locally. In any case, I have attached several pictures, hopefully the order in which they get attached doesn't make things too confusing. I am very happy with this unit, but I will go into the pluses and minuses that I have encountered.

I will start with the negatives:
  1. This unit comes with exactly ZERO instructions. Several of the harnesses are pretty self-explanatory but others certainly make you think & on my unit, I was easily able to plug a harness into the wrong connector, at which point I smelled electrical burning & when I attempted to power on the unit (with just enough connections to do so) the screen would not turn on.
  2. I eventually figured out that the Ram engineers are clowns and that the 'radio' fuse is NOT in the fuse box (after literally checking like 30 fuses & finding none of them to be blown). For the radio, Ram uses an in-line fuse elsewhere in the engine bay, do a YouTube search if you encounter this since they also love to move that fuse depending on the model year, but in my case, it was right along the firewall on the passenger side.
  3. The screen is a fingerprint magnet. I almost wish I would have left the bottom screen protector on but at the same time, the screen looks so much better with it off.
  4. Like mentioned elsewhere in this thread, the radio is difficult to see when wearing polarized sunglasses so you will need to lean to the right a bit for a clear view.
  5. There are so many settings that simple tasks can become way more complicated than they need to be, that level of control can also be a good thing but most of the time it seems like mostly just more hassle than needed.
  6. So far, I have been unable to get the "voice command" button on my steering wheel to work with Google, it keeps trying to use horrible Bixby even though my phone is setup to use Google for the assistant. At this point I am not sure if the issue is my phone or the head unit but I'm hoping there is a setting buried somewhere in the head unit.
Now for what I like:
  1. The screen & really the entire unit is gorgeous and eliminating the horrible wood trim that never matched anything in my truck is just a bonus.
  2. The unit is incredibly responsive, I have yet to experience a single delay or any lag whatsoever.
  3. I am only using wireless Android Auto at this point and have not explored much of anything else, however, wireless AA has worked perfectly for me thus far. It has auto connected every time without fail and the home screen is then replaced by the AA interface.
  4. While the backup camera probably isn't quite as crisp and clear as OEM, I am guessing they have improved it (perhaps with Android 12, IDK) since I have no issues with the quality, and I didn't change any settings related to it.
  5. The tech support call I had with "Gen" at Phoenix Automotive was surprisingly good. I essentially just had some questions about various settings and what not along with my OEM microphone not working well. She spoke good English (surprising given other calls I had with them) and knew the answers to every question quickly, while walking me through the screens without me even sharing my camera. She also emailed me a transparent image file of the correct size to replace the red jeep image on my home screen (no clue why a unit for a Ram had a Jeep but I could also replace the image with my own image but for now I am just going with wallpaper & no image in front).
Another thing, in case others have similar needs, with my previous setup I had a dedicated 7-inch monitor mounted above my OEM stereo that was dedicated to a wireless backup camera mounted at the back of my 35-foot toy hauler. With this new unit, that was no longer an option so I purchased a $9 wireless RCA video kit (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DY0UAXE?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details) and hooked the receiver to the "front video" input on this Android unit, I tapped power from the cigarette lighter. I'm not sure when I will be able to test the system with my actual camper and it may not work over that distance & with the interference of the truck and camper, however, I did a basic test in my garage with an inexpensive backup camera attached to the wireless transmitter and when using the "front camera" application on the Andoid unit, it displayed the wireless backup camera in fairly good quality. Anyway, good proof of concept so if it doesn't work with my camper then I may just need a better-quality wireless system.

There were some frustrations with getting this installed and configured and I'm sure I will experience more as I attempt to further change settings but honestly, I do not regret this purchase at all. I would actually say it is one of the best purchases I have ever made and for everything this unit can do, it actually seems inexpensive to me (with the discount code on their site mine was $720 out the door). This thing really is gorgeous and responsive, now I just cross my fingers and hope it lasts a long time.

Attachments

• 20230919_162215.jpg
    20230919_162215.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 81
  • 20230919_162043.jpg
    20230919_162043.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 74
  • 20230919_154245.jpg
    20230919_154245.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 73
  • 20230919_143245.jpg
    20230919_143245.jpg