5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Advice needed for exterior accessories ie: bug (hood shield) shield, window vents and splash mud guards.

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I ordered mine online. I didn't see any notes about it not fitting the sport hood. I did have an issue with one of the outer fasteners not fitting right because of a seam in the metal, so I had to modify that. I don't know if that's the reason they might say it doesn't fit or not because I'm not sure if the regular hoods have that same seam. Wish I would have taken pics now. And before you ask, I don't remember exactly what I did to modify it (CRS is real).

Hahaha I know exactly what you mean there. Now that you mention it, I think (if I remember correctly lol) my brother mentioned something about moving the end fastener over or something like that. I’ll take a hard look at mine tomorrow when it’s not raining to see what I can verify and share for anyone else looking at doing the same mod. How do you like your Husky flaps? Did you have any other brands to compare them to?

GARebel19

Reaction score
Late reply but I've been really happy with the WT mudflaps. They do cost a little more but I prefer the look of them (especially on the Rebel),

Attachments

• 20220401_141612.jpg
    20220401_141612.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 110

Nick57

Reaction score
Does anyone have pictures of the Mopar window vents on their truck? I would like to see if I want to go with those or the weather tech's when i replace my AVS ones.

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I li
Late reply but I've been really happy with the WT mudflaps. They do cost a little more but I prefer the look of them (especially on the Rebel),
I like the looks of the WT’s & Mopar’s better also but I was reading that the Husky’s cover better for the automatic running boards as far as slush & ice buildup. That’s my number #1 factor aside from protection. Why can’t we just have it all?!! Haha

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does anyone have pictures of the Mopar window vents on their truck? I would like to see if I want to go with those or the weather tech's when i replace my AVS ones.
Unfortunately, I don’t have them on the truck yet for photos. They’ve been sitting in the shop for quite awhile but if I end up getting them on the new model this weekend I’ll upload some photos. I need to snap some shots of them out of the box for the other fella for color matching purposes.

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I ordered mine online. I didn't see any notes about it not fitting the sport hood. I did have an issue with one of the outer fasteners not fitting right because of a seam in the metal, so I had to modify that. I don't know if that's the reason they might say it doesn't fit or not because I'm not sure if the regular hoods have that same seam. Wish I would have taken pics now. And before you ask, I don't remember exactly what I did to modify it (CRS is real).
Yes, you’re right on the outer fasteners. Popped the hood & it looks like it’s just the ones for the rubber gasket on the underside so my brother simply used painters tape & it’s held for a year & over 50k with 80mph highway miles on average. Photos attached for anyone else curious. Perhaps I’ll use double sided tape this go around so it looks better.

Attachments

• 9AB0EDA8-7106-4ED1-BA30-154FDB6D06BB.jpeg
    9AB0EDA8-7106-4ED1-BA30-154FDB6D06BB.jpeg
    134.4 KB · Views: 91
  • 5F2F8DEF-8D3B-4602-8155-911AB03F4C32.jpeg
    5F2F8DEF-8D3B-4602-8155-911AB03F4C32.jpeg
    131.9 KB · Views: 91
  • 3ADBEF99-51F6-49CF-87D1-8B7092A67761.jpeg
    3ADBEF99-51F6-49CF-87D1-8B7092A67761.jpeg
    222.8 KB · Views: 92

Randboye

Reaction score
Advice need for exterior accessories ie: bug shield, window vents and splash mud guards on my22 limited longhorn with chrome grill/mirrors/window trim and color match bumpers (Patriot Blue).
So far I am leaning towards the Mopar hood shield, issue is Mopar only makes a matte black and chrome model and they only make chrome and smoke colored window vents. This leaves me with only one choice if i want Mopar brand and want them to match. If I go with the matte black Mopar hood shield, I could get an after market brand window vents in matte black.

I have looked at almost all the bug/hood shields, and only Mopar's seems to have a custom fit that follows the center line in the hood.
AS for the mud splash guards I love the look of Mopar's one that have the lettering RAM on them, but they seem like a ****ty design with an area for snow, dirt/mud and rocks to collect(its like a shelf).

I would love to hear you opinion on what you have done with your truck and possibly brands or models to stay away from.

Photos would help out greatly! And thanks in advance
I went with AVS low profile hood deflector and Husky mud guards.

Attachments

• 20220407_102759.jpg
    20220407_102759.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 128
  • 20220407_102820.jpg
    20220407_102820.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 137
  • 20220407_102633.jpg
    20220407_102633.jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 138
  • 20220407_102641.jpg
    20220407_102641.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 137
  • 20220406_201359.jpg
    20220406_201359.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 130
  • 20220406_201342.jpg
    20220406_201342.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 129

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey there Mikeru82, just a quick question - do you regularly wax your Mopar hood protector to keep it looking fresh? I know in your photos it may be freshly installed also, but I was just curious bc the one on my black truck that I traded today seemed to acquire bug guts stains that never seem to 100% go away & if I prevent that on this go around with the right product on a matte surface
I went with the Mopar hood deflector and Husky splash guards. Not a fan of window visors so I don't have any suggestions for those.

View attachment 124733 View attachment 124734

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok thanks, would be great help for making my decision 👍
Sorry it’s taking me so long, I haven’t forgotten about ya bud. Just been rushing around to get back in town & just traded the truck in today. The good thing is that both the hood protector & window visors will be installed so you can get a better real world view of them together.

I also think I’ll go with the Husky flaps this go around. I do really like my Mopar ones that I had with the foam inserts in them, but like the better coverage with the Husky’s. I like that I could slap the WT’s on myself but now that I went with a pearl paint I like how the Husky’s come with the PPF.

Last edited:

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry it’s taking me so long, I haven’t forgotten about ya bud. Just been rushing around to get back in town & just traded the truck in today. The good thing is that both the hood protector & window visors will be installed so you can get a better real world view of them together.

I also think I’ll go with the Husky flaps this go around. I do really like my Mopar ones that I had with the foam inserts in them, but like the better coverage with the Husky’s. I like that I could slap the WT’s on myself but now that I went with a pearl paint I like how the Husky’s come with the PPF.
My WeatherTech guards came with PPF strips.

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My WeatherTech guards came with PPF strips.
Hmm, that’s good to know, thanks! I can’t believe out of all the accessories that the mud flaps of all things are the one thing I can’t make up my mind about. 🤔

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Hey there Mikeru82, just a quick question - do you regularly wax your Mopar hood protector to keep it looking fresh? I know in your photos it may be freshly installed also, but I was just curious bc the one on my black truck that I traded today seemed to acquire bug guts stains that never seem to 100% go away & if I prevent that on this go around with the right product on a matte surface
I did a ceramic treatment on it. There haven't been any issues with cleaning bug guts off of it so far. Thanks for asking though because you reminded me it's time to reapply for the spring.

NJC1684

Reaction score

Attachments

• E82C2B13-0B4D-4FB4-90E1-DEC63F7BE4EB.jpeg
    E82C2B13-0B4D-4FB4-90E1-DEC63F7BE4EB.jpeg
    135.3 KB · Views: 80

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I will be posting pics of Mopar window visors within the week hopefully for you & new1500customram. I’m out of town for a few days & having the ceramic tinting done this Thursday & then will be taking it somewhere else more local to me for the visors/flaps/hood protector & will post final pics for you guys to see it all together on the vehicle to help with your decision. I’m also doing the air design tailgate protector/spoiler again, I really liked it on my black Laramie. Has anyone here done their own cut-to-fit PPF prior to double sided tape like on their mud flaps or anything else? I’d like to add that on the bottom side of the tailgate where the tape has contact with the paint this time.

Last edited:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Tried to install the Weathertech hood deflector today and it doesn't fit and the push clips they give are way too long to even fit in the hood.
Has someone successfuly installed the Weathertech hood deflector?

The deflector is hitting the metal I circled so I can't get it flush on the underside to use my own pushclips. 2022-04-15 15.35.10.jpg 2022-04-15 16.00.26.jpg

I ordered the Mopar window vents so as least I know that will fit I suppose.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Tried to install the Weathertech hood deflector today and it doesn't fit and the push clips they give are way too long to even fit in the hood.
Has someone successfuly installed the Weathertech hood deflector?

The deflector is hitting the metal I circled so I can't get it flush on the underside to use my own pushclips. View attachment 126488 View attachment 126489

I ordered the Mopar window vents so as least I know that will fit I suppose.
I ran into the same issue on the passenger side of the hood. I don't remember how I got around that off the top of my head. I'll try to remember to take a look at mine when I get home from work.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I ran into the same issue on the passenger side of the hood. I don't remember how I got around that off the top of my head. I'll try to remember to take a look at mine when I get home from work.
Would be much apricated.
It's my passenger side too

Did you end up using another kind of push clips or snipping the ends off of the supplied ones?

My hood is full of broken push pin pieces when I closed it I could hear them all jigging around LOL.

Edit: terrible spelling

Users who are viewing this thread