5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Advice needed for exterior accessories ie: bug (hood shield) shield, window vents and splash mud guards.

New1500customram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Advice need for exterior accessories ie: bug shield, window vents and splash mud guards on my22 limited longhorn with chrome grill/mirrors/window trim and color match bumpers (Patriot Blue).
So far I am leaning towards the Mopar hood shield, issue is Mopar only makes a matte black and chrome model and they only make chrome and smoke colored window vents. This leaves me with only one choice if i want Mopar brand and want them to match. If I go with the matte black Mopar hood shield, I could get an after market brand window vents in matte black.

I have looked at almost all the bug/hood shields, and only Mopar's seems to have a custom fit that follows the center line in the hood.
AS for the mud splash guards I love the look of Mopar's one that have the lettering RAM on them, but they seem like a ****ty design with an area for snow, dirt/mud and rocks to collect(its like a shelf).

I would love to hear you opinion on what you have done with your truck and possibly brands or models to stay away from.

Photos would help out greatly! And thanks in advance

Svt40

Reaction score
I've been looking at the AVS low profile deflector painted to match. But I'd like to see one on a vehicle before purchasing.

New1500customram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've been looking at the AVS low profile deflector painted to match. But I'd like to see one on a vehicle before purchasing.
I like the look of it but from what i understand it will protect the front of the hood, but dont create much draft to push objects like bugs and small stones up over the windshield and cab.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I like the look of it but from what i understand it will protect the front of the hood, but dont create much draft to push objects like bugs and small stones up over the windshield and cab.
The Mopar hood deflector doesn't help much with bugs either. Pretty much all low profile deflectors are like this. I installed mine mainly to protect the front of the hood from rock chips. Hell, even back in the 80's when I had one of those old school bug deflectors that sticks straight up, only the bottom half of the windshield stayed mostly clear of bugs.

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Reaction score
I really like my WeatherTech Stone and Bug Deflector. Not getting near as many bug guts on the windshield on the highway anymore.

The WT mud guards do their job as I'm sure the other brands do. Not as effective as real flaps, of course, but they're the best looking of the more popular brands IMHO.

I bought AVS in channel window vent visors as I've had them on several other rides with no problems. These I have on the Ram appear to be warping inward a little in the middle of the front windows. Not really that big of a deal, but I wouldn't get them again.

New1500customram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Mopar hood deflector doesn't help much with bugs either. Pretty much all low profile deflectors are like this. I installed mine mainly to protect the front of the hood from rock chips. Hell, even back in the 80's when I had one of those old school bug deflectors that sticks straight up, only the bottom half of the windshield stayed mostly clear of bugs.
Did you go with the matte black or chrome? post a photo please

Nick57

Reaction score
I really like my WeatherTech Stone and Bug Deflector. Not getting near as many bug guts on the windshield on the highway anymore.

The WT mud guards do their job as I'm sure the other brands do. Not as effective as real flaps, of course, but they're the best looking of the more popular brands IMHO.

I bought AVS in channel window vent visors as I've had them on several other rides with no problems. These I have on the Ram appear to be warping inward a little in the middle of the front windows. Not really that big of a deal, but I wouldn't get them again.
I've used AVS windows visors in the past on almost all my other vehicles never had an issue. Put them on my new Ram and mine are doing the same thing. Warping in the middle both front and rear... Not happy and will be replacing them with the weather tech's.

New1500customram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
1648858635570.png
Has anyone use this site/business and if so how would you rate them?
Thier prices seem better than better than Realtruck, and have been hearing not so good things about realtruck

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have Mopar matte black hood protector on my black Laramie & will also get the same matte black for my pearl white Limited next week. I also have the Mopar mud flaps & like the way they look. No issues as far as I know but have definitely heard that it could have been a better design. I have the Mopar window visors also, although they’re not installed so I will just add them to the new truck. I don’t smoke but I like to crack the windows sometimes when it’s raining/snow & it helps cut the noise down a bit. I’d like to also get another set of Mopar all weather floor mats like I currently have to put over the ones that come with the Limited. Or I’ll work those into the trade deal possibly. I don’t think my photos would help your decision too much since Mikeru82 posted the same photo already. I think if you have chrome accents already & plan on keeping them that way then probably match the chrome hood protector.

New1500customram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have Mopar matte black hood protector on my black Laramie & will also get the same matte black for my pearl white Limited next week. I also have the Mopar mud flaps & like the way they look. No issues as far as I know but have definitely heard that it could have been a better design. I have the Mopar window visors also, although they’re not installed so I will just add them to the new truck. I don’t smoke but I like to crack the windows sometimes when it’s raining/snow & it helps cut the noise down a bit. I’d like to also get another set of Mopar all weather floor mats like I currently have to put over the ones that come with the Limited. Or I’ll work those into the trade deal possibly. I don’t think my photos would help your decision too much since Mikeru82 posted the same photo already. I think if you have chrome accents already & plan on keeping them that way then probably match the chrome hood protector.
so since you have the matte black and mopar window vents (guessing the are the dark smoke color) how close in color are they? could you possible take a photo of them side by side so i could see how they look together? it would be much apricated

Otisporkchop

Reaction score
Have the AVS visors like others have stated they are warping in the middle, I have the mopar visors on my 2018 and they have held up really well.

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
so since you have the matte black and mopar window vents (guessing the are the dark smoke color) how close in color are they? could you possible take a photo of them side by side so i could see how they look together? it would be much apricated

I can when I get back home, but probably next week. The visors are down in my shop. They are somewhat translucent to where as the hood protector is a solid color.

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I went with the Mopar hood deflector and Husky splash guards. Not a fan of window visors so I don't have any suggestions for those.

View attachment 124733 View attachment 124734
I currently have the same Mopar deflector & sport hood on my Laramie & called the dealer to order another one for the Limited I’m swapping it for on Friday & they said there’s a specific note that says it will not fit the sport hood. Told him, that’s strange I have that deflector on my sport hood already & he told me to confirm the part number. Did they mention the same thing to you at all? They didn’t mention it the first time I picked mine up either. I had my brother install for me while I was working so I wasn’t able to see how or why it wouldn’t fit.

Attachments

• 06363FF8-7ED9-4E5F-A056-088816FBFB94.jpeg
    06363FF8-7ED9-4E5F-A056-088816FBFB94.jpeg
    240 KB · Views: 133

NJC1684

Reaction score
Like my Mopar window deflectors but probably wouldn’t buy their splash guards again.

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Like my Mopar window deflectors but probably wouldn’t buy their splash guards again.
Yeah, I like my Mopar flaps with the foam addition to somewhat prevent crud from getting trapped in there, but I’ve been leaning to the WT’s or Husky’s. Hear the Husky’s keep more stuff off the running boards.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I currently have the same Mopar deflector & sport hood on my Laramie & called the dealer to order another one for the Limited I’m swapping it for on Friday & they said there’s a specific note that says it will not fit the sport hood. Told him, that’s strange I have that deflector on my sport hood already & he told me to confirm the part number. Did they mention the same thing to you at all? They didn’t mention it the first time I picked mine up either. I had my brother install for me while I was working so I wasn’t able to see how or why it wouldn’t fit.
I ordered mine online. I didn't see any notes about it not fitting the sport hood. I did have an issue with one of the outer fasteners not fitting right because of a seam in the metal, so I had to modify that. I don't know if that's the reason they might say it doesn't fit or not because I'm not sure if the regular hoods have that same seam. Wish I would have taken pics now. And before you ask, I don't remember exactly what I did to modify it (CRS is real).

Users who are viewing this thread