5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Advice needed for exterior accessories ie: bug (hood shield) shield, window vents and splash mud guards.

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok thanks, would be great help for making my decision 👍
New1500, NJC1684, & anyone else that asked me for photos - I’m sorry for the delay. I put over 6k on my truck in the first month due to work & have been busy on weekends doing family things, BUT - I finally did the Mopar hood protector last Sunday & literally just finished the Mopar window visor install an hour ago & I have pics to share. Although I have 5% rear tint, 20% front, & 50% windshield so it might be difficult to judge from the photos. I will say that the hood protector is full on matte black, but the visors are glossy - more of a match to the black painted side mirrors than even the windows themselves, although the windows could use a polish from the pollen.

Attachments

• 7331C90D-9416-4261-ADDD-DA6541F9235B.jpeg
    7331C90D-9416-4261-ADDD-DA6541F9235B.jpeg
    259.6 KB · Views: 77
  • 2C93D1DA-3D14-4D9C-A60E-4EAB0C8B7158.jpeg
    2C93D1DA-3D14-4D9C-A60E-4EAB0C8B7158.jpeg
    160.3 KB · Views: 86
  • 66781713-EFC0-4E53-88AC-8CAB74D0AACA.jpeg
    66781713-EFC0-4E53-88AC-8CAB74D0AACA.jpeg
    219.5 KB · Views: 85
  • 614A63B2-4F4C-4300-A18F-7DF5DF1D856F.jpeg
    614A63B2-4F4C-4300-A18F-7DF5DF1D856F.jpeg
    249.2 KB · Views: 86

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ended up trying Home - Ultimate Flaps
Installed them today,

They feel like plastic but bend like a hard rubber. The front's wiggle a big because it's only 3 not 4 screws, the rears are very secure.

These look awesome!! Kind of wish I didn’t order the Husky ones today. Did those come with PPF, at least for the front since they move a bit?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
These look awesome!! Kind of wish I didn’t order the Husky ones today. Did those come with PPF, at least for the front since they move a bit?
Can always return them lol.
But no they didn't come with any PPF. They don't really move though. If I grab the bottom I can wiggle it a little bit but not tot he point it could cause any paint damage, it uses the existing 3 screws in front and 4 in rear. Rear is rock solid and the front has a little movement if I grab it but i'm sure while driving they don't go side to side or anything.
I'm sure I could of drilled a hole in the front flaps to use the 4th screw and it would be rock solid also.

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can always return them lol.
But no they didn't come with any PPF. They don't really move though. If I grab the bottom I can wiggle it a little bit but not tot he point it could cause any paint damage, it uses the existing 3 screws in front and 4 in rear. Rear is rock solid and the front has a little movement if I grab it but i'm sure while driving they don't go side to side or anything.
I'm sure I could of drilled a hole in the front flaps to use the 4th screw and it would be rock solid also.
Thanks for the detailed info! You have me thinking now. I’m ordering some custom clear PPF from Lamin-X for the Air Design spoiler & could use some to trace the Husky PPF & return them maybe. Also getting the Amber precut fog light film from Lamin-X if any of you are interested in any of their colors available for fog or matching anything else you have. I put them on my Cherokee XJ & they have stuck & held up great - just added some more red to the round yellow is all.

Attachments

• 71E5DA3E-18B8-4226-AD2D-FCF59976AD49.jpeg
    71E5DA3E-18B8-4226-AD2D-FCF59976AD49.jpeg
    286 KB · Views: 25
  • 990207A5-2E95-43D6-8F3C-B65E8C145F94.jpeg
    990207A5-2E95-43D6-8F3C-B65E8C145F94.jpeg
    245.3 KB · Views: 25

Yangster

Reaction score
Husky mudflaps. I got them on Amazon and bought the ones with a damaged box. Who cares what the box looks like! Paid something like 1/2 price!

JustCallMeD

Reaction score
Just thought to chime in here because I read this thread before grabbing a set of window visors. Initially I bought the AVS slim ones because I never really like visors and wanted as soon as possible. The way they tell you to install them does not work on my Limited without either cutting the rubber weatherstripping or damaging the B pillar, so I made do with leaving that back part on top of the b pillar. 3 out of 4 of then warped, the adhesive was garbage so I even replaced with real 3M adhesive on my own during initial installation on the fronts, the rear fell off since I didn't replace the adhesive. The plastic was not clear when you looked through it at all. Contacted there "support" and David over there conetely ignored what I explained even after sending him multiple photos of the issue. Anyway, weathertech retail shop is close by to me, stopped in there just to see, had then installed in 10 mins when I ripped out the junk AVS in their parking lot. Way clearer, fit is great, slim enough for me and just a better quality product. My advice, steer clear of AVS products! 9EBB2455-25A6-483F-BFD7-A6BCF1BB2233.jpeg D0132745-D6F9-4792-9131-930BB03A372F.jpeg 9016E3BB-826E-4280-928F-4D7B2C620AB9.jpeg CF925742-B948-40E4-9C8A-FA4B9F0D6072.jpeg

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Your WT’s look good! Real similar to the Mopar design. Where did you get the carbon fiber B pillars? Overlays? Looks very nice.

JustCallMeD

Reaction score
Your WT’s look good! Real similar to the Mopar design. Where did you get the carbon fiber B pillars? Overlays? Looks very nice.
Thanks! I think they look great too and super easy install. Def similar to the Mopar ones.
The Carbon Fiber on the B-Pillars is Stek Carbon Fiber PPF that my buddy installed for me at his paint protection shop (Cut on his plotter) so best of both worlds, carbon fiber and paint protection self healing film in one, hate when people grab the sides to close the doors so gives me a piece of mind that's for sure.

Gary1243

Reaction score
Advice need for exterior accessories ie: bug shield, window vents and splash mud guards on my22 limited longhorn with chrome grill/mirrors/window trim and color match bumpers (Patriot Blue).
So far I am leaning towards the Mopar hood shield, issue is Mopar only makes a matte black and chrome model and they only make chrome and smoke colored window vents. This leaves me with only one choice if i want Mopar brand and want them to match. If I go with the matte black Mopar hood shield, I could get an after market brand window vents in matte black.

I have looked at almost all the bug/hood shields, and only Mopar's seems to have a custom fit that follows the center line in the hood.
AS for the mud splash guards I love the look of Mopar's one that have the lettering RAM on them, but they seem like a ****ty design with an area for snow, dirt/mud and rocks to collect(its like a shelf).

I would love to hear you opinion on what you have done with your truck and possibly brands or models to stay away from.

Photos would help out greatly! And thanks in advance
I went with the weathertec Mudguards. Simple installation, look nice, and reasonably priced. As to whether I really needed them is another question, but they look good and do the trick. I couldn’t find a hood deflector that I liked so I still don’t have one.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Thanks! I think they look great too and super easy install. Def similar to the Mopar ones.
The Carbon Fiber on the B-Pillars is Stek Carbon Fiber PPF that my buddy installed for me at his paint protection shop (Cut on his plotter) so best of both worlds, carbon fiber and paint protection self healing film in one, hate when people grab the sides to close the doors so gives me a piece of mind that's for sure.
Your B pillars are painted?
Mine are a mate plastic.
I guess you could install PPF on textured plastic?

JustCallMeD

Reaction score
Your B pillars are painted?
Mine are a mate plastic.
I guess you could install PPF on textured plastic?
Ya mine are painted on the Limited.
Most installers say you can wrap in plastic but it can definitely be done with the right process.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Ya mine are painted on the Limited.
Most installers say you can wrap in plastic but it can definitely be done with the right process.
Interesting. I have a 2022 limited and mine are mate plastic. I wonder if it's a hemi vs diesel thing. I auctally kind of like the plastic as I don't need to reach for the small line of plastic trim to shut my door, I can just grab the plastic.

randyr6

Reaction score
used the same ones you ended up using. The ones mounted OUTSIDE the window never hold up well and if you loss one which is easy to do as I did, you have to buy a complete set for one replacement. While the inside window casing style is a little scary to install (you worry about cracking them) they look and are much better. My 3 rd set on 3 diff. Rams

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
used the same ones you ended up using. The ones mounted OUTSIDE the window never hold up well and if you loss one which is easy to do as I did, you have to buy a complete set for one replacement. While the inside window casing style is a little scary to install (you worry about cracking them) they look and are much better. My 3 rd set on 3 diff. Rams

It’s crazy how different each brand/style has the potential to hold up. I went with the in channel version on my Ram simply bc I want to preserve the paint if I ever need to remove them. My 2000 Jeep Cherokee XJ however has them on the outside of the door & they have stayed in place for almost 2 decades, minus when I removed them to rhino-line the entire vehicles before putting them right back on.

FirstRam2020

Reaction score
Just installed the Weathertech Bu/Stone deflector yesterday. The screws I received were not too long and fit well. However, after trying to thread them in with no success in getting a tight fit, I pushed on the outside of the pin to the hood to have a tight fit then pushed the screws in and all fits tight.

But, to close my hood, I really have to slam it hard.

Do I have to adjust hood stops? Curious if others had this issue. Secondly, are there just the 2? Just tighten/loosen them?

Thanks.

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just installed the Weathertech Bu/Stone deflector yesterday. The screws I received were not too long and fit well. However, after trying to thread them in with no success in getting a tight fit, I pushed on the outside of the pin to the hood to have a tight fit then pushed the screws in and all fits tight.

But, to close my hood, I really have to slam it hard.

Do I have to adjust hood stops? Curious if others had this issue. Secondly, are there just the 2? Just tighten/loosen them?

Thanks.

I have to close my hood a little bit harder than usually after I installed the Mopar hood protector as well. My experience with this in addition to hood flutter, is to adjust the latch itself, not the stops.

I took mine to the dealer & told them to adjust the latch & not the stops. They adjusted just the stops anyway. Hood still flutters, just not as bad, but the adjacent body panels don’t line up as well & it drives me a little crazy when I wash/wax it. Will probably take it back or to a different dealer to have them do what I request as it’s under warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread