5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding passive entry

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Would like to hear how just the driver side door is working in detail. PM me to keep thread clear TIA

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
It works great. I forgot about it already. Just touch the handle and it unlocks. Awesome feature!

Grey03svt

Reaction score
So I just read posts on all the new alfaobd abilities. Great work to you guys that figured this out!
I just installed all my components after reading this and ready to do all the alfa settings. I see theres a total of 11 alfa settings to be changed and a battery disconnect.
Can I change all the settings one after another and then do the bat disconnect?

I always thought when changing multiple things in alfa to wait like 10 mins between changes. Hopefully I can rifle through them and finally get this thing to work!

BGWS

Reaction score
I would imagine the 2500's would function the same as the 1500's. There is no "auto-lock" feature, with or without passive entry, at least in regards to exiting the truck. As it is now, without the rear antenna in place, I can still press the button on the outside door handle once it is closed and it works fine, as well as using the fob to lock. The issue at the moment is when depressing the lock button on the inside door panel. If you do so and then close the door it unlocks immediately and gives 3 chirps of the horn. This is the fobiksafe response due to the fault in the rf hub of not having the last antenna. Hopefully, once the antenna is in place and the code is cleared the whole thing will work as if it was from the factory.
Will the button on handle work with just driver side wiring and handle?

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So I just read posts on all the new alfaobd abilities. Great work to you guys that figured this out!
I just installed all my components after reading this and ready to do all the alfa settings. I see theres a total of 11 alfa settings to be changed and a battery disconnect.

I always thought when changing multiple things in alfa to wait like 10 mins between changes. Hopefully I can rifle through them and finally get this thing to work!
There’s actually only 6 settings to change, as the rest should already be set.
VehConfig 3 passive entry present- YES

LIN and Misc fobik safe alert per ignition cycle counter- 2

Wireless AP1 Left front- SMART SWITCH

Wireless AP2 Right front- SMART SWITCH

CustSetMenu 1 passive entry CSM present- YES

CustProgFeatures- Passive Entry Unlock All Doors or Approach Door- ENABLED

ECUConfig 3- CTP passive entry enable does not get set because this is for a partitioned passive entry system for pro masters or police package vehicles, and will throw an implausible configuration fault in the rf hub.

Yes, you can make all the changes in one shot, then do the battery disconnect. I’m not sure where the wait between changes myth started, but it’s not necessary.

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score

As Jimmy07 said, it turns out the CTP setting is unnecessary. It’s the last approach setting that seems to enable it all. I’m honestly not even sure that the battery disconnect is needed after messing with it a few times over the last week, but it can’t hurt. And I second the doing all the changes at once. I made all of them as well as some others while I was in there and had no issues with it all working.

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Will the button on handle work with just driver side wiring and handle?

I don’t see why not. You may get a fault code in the RF Hub for missing hardware like with the antenna, but based on what others report with only one handle, it seems like it functions just fine. And the fault isn’t going to warrant a malfunction light so you won’t notice it unless you’re scanning for it.

parnine

Reaction score
Would like to hear how just the driver side door is working in detail. PM me to keep thread clear TIA

This thread is all about how it works, so not sure of your quesiton, but here you go. It works just like one would expect, however as this thread is recently discussing, you can no longer lock the doors by pushing the door lock button on the door inside handle inside the truck before you exit. If you try to lock the truck in this manner, when you close the door you get the 3 honks and the doors unlock. So you can use the the fob, or push the button on the exterior door handle (the handle you just installed for passive entry), to lock the truck after you have exited. The abilty to not use the interior door handle lock button to lock the truck when you are exiting was lost when I actived GXD. I figure my truck has come error codes as I did not install all the components, but they do not seem to effect anything I can notice.

If you wanted to keep the thread clear why not PM me in the first place? :)

What does 'TIA' stand for?

parnine

Reaction score
I don’t see why not. You may get a fault code in the RF Hub for missing hardware like with the antenna, but based on what others report with only one handle, it seems like it functions just fine. And the fault isn’t going to warrant a malfunction light so you won’t notice it unless you’re scanning for it.

Yes, with only 1 handle installed passive entry works as you expect - the only downside is, and this seems to be the case with only driver, or driver and passenger handles installed, is you can no longer lock the truck from the inside handle before exiting. To lock the truck you have to exit, close the door, and then either push the lock button on the exterior handle, or use the fob lock button (or of course the Key LOL).

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
I have never locked the truck nor any other vehicle I have from the inside, it's a bad habit and one day you will find yourself locked out and in need for a Locksmith.

BGWS

Reaction score
Yes, with only 1 handle installed passive entry works as you expect - the only downside is, and this seems to be the case with only driver, or driver and passenger handles installed, is you can no longer lock the truck from the inside handle before exiting. To lock the truck you have to exit, close the door, and then either push the lock button on the exterior handle, or use the fob lock button (or of course the Key LOL).
Thanks that answered my question locking with button on handle.

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score

This is due to fobiksafe detecting a fault and going into a failsafe mode. Once the additional handle and 5th antenna are installed it will function as designed on factory equipped passive entry trucks. Jimmy07 and I have been talking back and forth on this, and within the next few days we should have a definitive answer, and hopefully, solution.

Samson75

Reaction score
I have awesome news for everyone who is stuck at the process of having the sales code added to their VIN.....it is not needed!

I now have successfully functioning passive entry on my 2020 Bighorn, which did not require any restore/replace procedure at the dealer.

After looking back over the list posted by @Jimmy07, and having it still not work, I was not satisfied that it just wasn't possible given everything else you can do without a dealer using AlfaOBD. So, determined not to have to stare at non-functioning passive entry handles in defeat, I went through the entire list one by one and found 2 more entries in addition the the ones listed that were related to Passive Entry. (see the items surrounded by asterisks in the list below)

I had already enabled everything else previously, but I verified everything was still set, made the two additional changes, then disconnected the negative battery terminal. I waited about 30 min, reconnected the battery, and when I pushed the button on the driver's side door handle the doors locked and lights flashed. I couldn't believe it. I must've tried it 20 times over and over just to make sure it wasn't some weird one-off fluke.

If you configure the settings as below using AlfaOBD, disconnect the battery and wait a bit, when you are done you should have a functioning system. Keep in mind this was on a 2020 with the level 2 equipment group and remote start, and I used a full Mopar door harness on each door, however it has been proven to work by just running the additional wires to the handles if you prefer that.

A huge thank you goes out to everyone who has put in so much work on this whole upgrade, that frankly should've come standard on every model. They paved the way for this to be possible.

VehConfig 3 fobik safe enable- YES

VehConfig 3 passive entry present- YES

**ECUConfig 3-Passive Entry Present- YES**

LIN and Misc fobik safe alert no reply- YES

LIN and Misc fobik safe alert on system fault- YES

LIN and Misc fobik safe alert on search timeout- YES

LIN and Misc fobik safe alert per ignition cycle counter- 2

Wireless AP1 Left front- SMART SWITCH

Wireless AP2 Right front- SMART SWITCH

CustSetMenu 1 passive entry CSM present- YES

**Cust.Prog.Features- Passive Entry Unlock All Doors or Approach Door- ENABLED**

nco415

Reaction score
If that’s the case, use part number 52112204AA, which is the antenna for the rear cabin wall. It is the same exact antenna, except the mounting tabs are oriented different.
That is quite the price difference? Do you know that it is the same antenna for sure?(apart from the mounting tabs?)

brdima

Reaction score
is there a way to collect all this awesome info into a single post? trying to follow what works/doesn't is so hard across so many posts.

thanks to all the guys who have figured this out. I can't wait to add passive entry to my drivers side.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
is there a way to collect all this awesome info into a single post? trying to follow what works/doesn't is so hard across so many posts.

thanks to all the guys who have figured this out. I can't wait to add passive entry to my drivers side.
I’ve seen too many threads like this, and that never works, as people will still add pages of “what parts do I need” or “what settings is it again “ questions. Ideally, someone should do a completely new write up thread with ALL information in the first 3 or four posts, and this one should just be chalked up as a “discovery phase” thread.

Users who are viewing this thread