5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding passive entry

K-One235

Reaction score
Does anybody know if it's possible to add passive entry to a truck? I messed up and didn't check to make sure it came with it, I kind of assumed since it said keyless go it would come with it, but I guess it's called passive entry.
I made the same mistake!! I had it with my 2015 Rebel and assumed it came with my 2019 Longhorn Night edition, level 2 equipment package. Good luck, i'm also searching for it as well.

K-One235

Reaction score
I want to add it as well. I’ve purchased the handles. If you have push button start, your truck already has the required antennas, and RF hub.

The handles have 2 wires, then connect to the RF hub harness. Then, the BCM needs to have passive entry enabled. I did this myself with Alfaobd.

Next, you need a dealer, or a witech2 to reset/replace the RF Hub config. Can’t do this yourself, because it requires a 24-hour expiring rolling code pin. Same pin to add new keys.

The “reset” tells the RF Hub to download the new truck config from the BCM, which contains whether or not passive entry is installed. Otherwise, the wires stay dead.

I’m working with a dealer to do this for me now. I’ll post up once I have them working.
Good luck. Where did you purchase the handles?

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Any updates? Still looking to help out where I can. Just let me know what is needed.
We are still not working. We don’t have a way to update the RF Hub. Myself and another member have also tried working with our dealers, and they were also unable to update the RF hub. The dealer software will not permit adding this option to a vin not originally built with it. And currently, there are no products on the market that I’m aware of, that would permit us to update the RF Hub outside of a dealer environment.

Bram2019

Reaction score
mike_ct is correct. The problem is when you attempt to update a new rf hub with the required info supplied by alfaobd to the bcm, the first thing that happens is you are required to connect to witech, which then imports the stock vehicle info at FCA database for your Vin and sends it to the RF Hub. If it did not do that, we could make it work. Ideally FCA/Mopar comes up with an accessory kit similar to a remote start kit which would allow the dealer to add an accessory code to your vehicles Vin package. Then it would work. That is how a Mopar remote start is added. Add the needed hard parts, add the code to the dealer installed options and update the vehicle. Then it would work.

jmr

Reaction score
This is the same issue I ran into a year ago trying to add folding mirrors to my truck. The dealer wasn't able to add the needed sales codes to my vin.
It must be a Mopar accessory before they can add a sales code to a vin.

Hello RAM CARES are you listening?????

ChemTrails

Reaction score
First post here. Picked up my 19 Big Horn today thinking the same thing..."Keyless Go" isn't what they represent it to be. It's listed on the sticker. $50k and I still have to dig out my fob? I'm all in if a solution is available.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
First post here. Picked up my 19 Big Horn today thinking the same thing..."Keyless Go" isn't what they represent it to be. It's listed on the sticker. $50k and I still have to dig out my fob? I'm all in if a solution is available.
Nothing available yet. I do believe there may be an aftermarket option available

nco415

Reaction score
Nothing available yet. I do believe there may be an aftermarket option available
I also have a 2019 Bighorn and would like this option, I have been talking to the dealer manager from where I purchased it and he is saying quote "GXD Remote proximity keyless entry and it is only available on Laramie and higher models", he also said that after talking to the service manager, it could be done but would have to confirm it with his head tech after the holidays and cost would be 'substantial'. I will keep you all posted as I have an appointment to get some maintenance done next week and will know more then.

Does anyone have a list of parts that are required?

Thanks for any help.

Happy Holidays

Bram2019

Reaction score
The biggest issue with all of this is getting the sales code GXD added to your option list. A lot of options can be added and the codes are added by the dealer. This option so far is not available to be added. The hardware part is easy. You need 2 door handles, 2 door handle caps, an RF Hub probably, and wire the doors from the handles to the door post. The wiring is in place from the door post to the RF Hub already. Or you could wire all the way from the handle to the RF Hub. Again if we could get FCA or Mopar to come up with an accessory kit, that would solve the problem because the GXD code would need to be added. Do not do anything unless you are sure you can get the sales code added first.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I also have a 2019 Bighorn and would like this option, I have been talking to the dealer manager from where I purchased it and he is saying quote "GXD Remote proximity keyless entry and it is only available on Laramie and higher models", he also said that after talking to the service manager, it could be done but would have to confirm it with his head tech after the holidays and cost would be 'substantial'. I will keep you all posted as I have an appointment to get some maintenance done next week and will know more then.

Does anyone have a list of parts that are required?

Thanks for any help.

Happy Holidays
There is a guy no longer on the forums but active on the Facebook group that had it done with aftermarket parts on a Rebel. It is possible, just not sure how much it cost or what all was involved. I believe he installed security, remote start, and keyless/proximity entry all at the same time.

ITGuy11

Reaction score
Subscribed.... It is truly unbelievable my brand new 2020 Big Horn requires me to use the key fob to unlock/lock the doors but my son's 2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo doesn't as it has passive entry.

TxGeorge

Reaction score
Subscribed.... It is truly unbelievable my brand new 2020 Big Horn requires me to use the key fob to unlock/lock the doors but my son's 2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo doesn't as it has passive entry.

Even the 1500 sports come with passive entry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bubba33

Reaction score
Even the 1500 sports come with passive entry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It has nothing to do with the sport package. Its a trim level ,Laramie and up deal, if you want it.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It has nothing to do with the sport package. Its a trim level ,Laramie and up deal, if you want it.

Here in Canada, Sport is a trim level which sits between Big Horn and Rebel. Big Horn doesn't get keyless entry, but Sport does.

Bram2019

Reaction score
WE are hoping that somehow FCA will let us add the sales code for the passive entry. Everything else is straight forward. I would complain when you get a survey from FCA. Maybe it will help get Mopar accessories to come up with a kit which will allow the needed GXD code to make it work. The only other alternative is is someone in the after market comes up with something or possibly some kind of bcm/rfh trick to do this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/