5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding passive entry

tdb0021

Reaction score
tried all that months ago. So here's your immediate issues if you want to jump on board with me and Jason Marsh.

1) pin puller doesn't support our trucks
2) Alfaobd doesn't support our RF Hubs
pre-2019 trucks used a different system, made by Continental, which yes, used a pin

2019+ trucks, use a RF hub made by Strattec, and it uses 2 backend logins.
(this was designed after the jeep Cherokee,etc thefts that made a PIN number easy to obtain, and thus could program a new key to a vehicle, and technically steal it)

a) first login, is a time-expiring random number seed
b) second login, is a challenge-response type

SO, you cannot go into a dealer and obtain a useful PIN number, and walk out it.
Yes, you may be able to get the time-expiring pin, which would be used by a locksmith for fob programming, BUT, you need the challenge-response pin in order to to a config replace on the Strattec RF Hub. And unless it gets cracked, the only way to get this challenge-response authenticated, is via a connected witech dongle while its logged in, and online with tech authority.

The door handles themselves, wiring, and the security bypass are all easy, and similar to other Chrysler vehicles. Jason and I have already done all that.

We've both tried at our dealers as well. The problem is, on the 2019 witech system, its somewhat made "idiot" proof on the user/tech end. Even if you purchase a new, unwritten RF Hub, AND you have enabled the options in the BCM, when you select "RF Hub Replace" which tells the RF Hub to download the new config from the BCM, what actually happens first, is the Witech does a vehicle config restore first, so you revert back to the factory vin options in the BCM, and then the new RF Hub just gets the same config it had when you started.

***What's missing, is a way to do a RF Hub Config Replace all on its own,,which existed on the continental rf hub software, but not the strattec.

What I'm working on now, is restoring my vehicle config using a different vin all together, so like I have to find a Laramie that's very close option wise to my big horn, do a full restore using that vin, and then, see if I can get into all the modules, and update the vin.

This was possible on the pre-2018 trucks, because like I've replaced things like door modules, bcm's, and stuff, from junk yard trucks, and I've been able to update the vin's so they match. Not sure if this will work with the BCM and RFH on the 2019 truck, but that's where I'm at this point.

Pre-2018 trucks, very different from 2019's. And yes, it's sad.

If you were to install a RF Hub from a vehicle that already had passive entry (if it's possible to replace a RF hub), would it work? or would it force you to restore the BCM first, making the whole thing pointless?

I'd like this feature added to my Lonestar as well, and I've read this whole thread twice to see if i can offer my help in any way.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you were to install a RF Hub from a vehicle that already had passive entry (if it's possible to replace a RF hub), would it work? or would it force you to restore the BCM first, making the whole thing pointless?

I'd like this feature added to my Lonestar as well, and I've read this whole thread twice to see if i can offer my help in any way.
From my learning, if you install any RF hub (new or donor w/ passive entry) when you use the witech to do the replace config option (to make the vins match) first thing that happens is the bcm gets a new copy of the factory config for your vin, followed by the RF getting a config based on your vin.

to make work, we need to get the option code added to our vin config on the witech servers.
Then it’s simple as restoring truck config.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
THIS S**T IS IMPOSSIBLE!!!
It’s possible, just not with current tools that are available to us as end-users.

I think eventually Autel or snap-on will have a updated obd2 with ability to do these functions without being tethered to a witech2/fca server.

I haven’t given up. Just waiting for a new diag tool to come down the pike

Bram2019

Reaction score
It’s possible, just not with current tools that are available to us as end-users.

I think eventually Autel or snap-on will have a updated obd2 with ability to do these functions without being tethered to a witech2/fca server.

I haven’t given up. Just waiting for a new diag tool to come down the pike
Alfaobd has been updated to include 2019-2020 DT trucks. Maybe something there. But I doubt it.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Alfaobd has been updated to include 2019-2020 DT trucks. Maybe something there. But I doubt it.
I just saw alfaobd was updated. The alfaobd version notes state it now supports 2018+ RF Hubs. So..maybe. I have contacted the alfaobd developer before. I'll contact him again to inquire, and maybe give this a go. I currently have the hardware, and I also have the options enabled in the BCM. So all I need right now is to refresh the RF Hub, and this project is a success. I will keep you guys posted.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
I just saw alfaobd was updated. The alfaobd version notes state it now supports 2018+ RF Hubs. So..maybe. I have contacted the alfaobd developer before. I'll contact him again to inquire, and maybe give this a go. I currently have the hardware, and I also have the options enabled in the BCM. So all I need right now is to refresh the RF Hub, and this project is a success. I will keep you guys posted.
Good luck! Keep us in the loop

Bigjay98

Reaction score

I'm in, hopefully it happens.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just an update. I tried the new alfaobd and also contacted the developer. Currently, any RFHub function requiring a security login (keyfobs, RFHub replace, etc) is NOT working. He did state he is trying to find a solution. No ETA at this point.

so right now, we still cannot do the RFHub update step to enable the RFH to see passive entry enabled in the bcm. Stay tuned.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Just an update. I tried the new alfaobd and also contacted the developer. Currently, any RFHub function requiring a security login (keyfobs, RFHub replace, etc) is NOT working. He did state he is trying to find a solution. No ETA at this point.

so right now, we still cannot do the RFHub update step to enable the RFH to see passive entry enabled in the bcm. Stay tuned.
Thanks for the update.

hughesjasonk

Reaction score
what do you think about appcar-diagfca? do you think that might work for diag and adaptation?

Apexbasher

Reaction score

Thanks for the update! It was worth a try.

Swifty

Reaction score
It will never work. If you want it buy a new truck..
All let me start by saying hello
I also have purchased a 2020 Big horn with level 2 keyless go but no proximity entry. I am a technician at a ram and Jeep dealership. Had. Customer with a wrangler Sahara that added door handles and harnesses to his Jeep brought in for programming I had to call Detroit to get them to add sales code to vin list so I could restore vehicle configuration for him it worked
I have had sales code added to my vin list and in process of installing parts to my own truck will let everyone know what I ended up having to purchase and what I needed to do make work sales code was GXD and almost an act of Congress to get added

Grey03svt

Reaction score
All let me start by saying hello
I also have purchased a 2020 Big horn with level 2 keyless go but no proximity entry. I am a technician at a ram and Jeep dealership. Had. Customer with a wrangler Sahara that added door handles and harnesses to his Jeep brought in for programming I had to call Detroit to get them to add sales code to vin list so I could restore vehicle configuration for him it worked
I have had sales code added to my vin list and in process of installing parts to my own truck will let everyone know what I ended up having to purchase and what I needed to do make work sales code was GXD and almost an act of Congress to get added
Please keep us posted!!

Users who are viewing this thread