5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding Passive Entry: How-to

aswain511

Reaction score
The latch issue is 100% mechanical, and has zero to do with the passive entry system or rear antenna.
I just wanted to put a bow on this in case it happens to anyone else. Everyone here has been great so I hope this might help someone else.
The issue was that at some point during my install, I stretched the cable that connects the handle to the latch. The latch would stay open without the pressure closing it and the door would bounce open.
I went to a body shop and a guy did it under the table for a tip. Took him 15 mins to figure out and the new cable was $22.

SoulFish

Reaction score
Anyone in the Tampa area want to attempt this together? have a 2021 Power Wagon and I miss this option alot since I had it on my last vehicle

temfi

Reaction score
Anyone in central Alabama done this mod? I would like to do it but could use help from someone who has done it.

Jafromwi

Reaction score
Just did this on my 22 2500. Warning for those trying to plan ahead, Need 3 smaller Male pins for door wiring harness. Only 1 of the larger pins in the write up for the 1500 are used. Not sure what the part number for the pins are since I had some that were laying around that were close enough.

Mab6680

Reaction score
Just added this to my 19 1500, the harnesses from jimmy worked perfectl. Now I want to install passive entry on my 21 ram 1500 but can’t seem to find the handles and caps in delmonico red pearl coat, anyone happen to know the part numbers for that color

Repsol_Maker

Reaction score
Wish I would have read further to see Jimmy07 had harnesses to save some coin but overall happy with the NISMopar Harness kit.

After install notes for mine.

Definitely have a bucket or box to set the door card on while swapping the harness. I have the Alpine audio system and the tweeter wires attachment snaps were broken on one side trying to take the whole card out but on the other side; I set it on a box and it was smooth after that. I would recommend pulling the speaker out prior to dropping the door card. (not sure if that was mentioned.

Overall the three harnesses were swapped very easily just taking my time.

AlfaOBD was interesting for me as I used a windows RT tablet. Certain options didn't automatically pop up but once the body computer was connected through the OBD MX+ adapter, I clicked the active diagnostics tab and searched for the settings to change. That was smooth process, click the option, change the setting, hit update, and wait for it then I selected it again to verify the setting. Pulled the negative cable for 20 minutes, connected it and then the first time I grabbed the handle it worked seamlessly. After a trip to Home Depot I checked the settings menu and it was in there.

Long post but a big Thank You to everyone who did this research and tried it out. My 19's window sticker made it appear that I had this option like my wife's Durango as the verbiage was the same.

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this has been shared in here or not, but Tyler’s video is super helpful when paired next to this already amazing thread. I haven't tackled this project on my own truck yet, but have plans to do so as soon as I get the parts sourced and find time to knock it out.

Last edited:

chrisxtian

Reaction score
I'd pay someone to do this modification for me. I'm not that great at working with vehicles. Southern California area.

CHRISWARR36

Reaction score
I'd pay someone to do this modification for me. I'm not that great at working with vehicles. Southern California area.

If you’re not that handy I would say don’t attempt this. It’s not that hard BUT it’s not for a beginner, that’s just my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is anybody making prebuilt harnesses available to add this to the rear doors of a truck that already has passive entry on the front doors?

I spoke with Jimmy07 about this a while back and pulled the pins from the connectors to get the measurements. Last I heard, info on the rear door to body connectors is shrouded in secrecy as happens sometimes with manufacturers.
Easiest route to take is to run wires from the handles and then just feed the 2 leads through an open spot in the connectors (there are several). You will lose the ability to disconnect it easily, but it will work just fine. From there you just need to splice in to the wires along the floor to trigger the PE. I’ve got all the info, I just haven’t gotten to installing it yet.

chrisxtian

Reaction score
If you’re not that handy I would say don’t attempt this. It’s not that hard BUT it’s not for a beginner, that’s just my opinion

I'm definitely a beginner on trucks. Would you know any shops that know how to install the mod?

CHRISWARR36

Reaction score
I'm definitely a beginner on trucks. Would you know any shops that know how to install the mod?

Not unfortunately not, I would suggest trying to find someone local to you on here that could possibly help

Users who are viewing this thread