5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding Passive Entry: How-to

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm curious as well. I'm looking to trade in my 1500 for a 2500 and dont want to spend the money on going up trim levels just to get passive entry when it may be possible to just do it myself like on the 1500.
Yes, I’ve determined what wiring is needed for the door handles on Heavy Duties, and have parts coming to start offering harnesses for the front doors. It would be impractical to swap in factory harnesses, because each door would require a new main harness AND an additional jumper harness for the handle. So far, everyone I’ve had look, the connector for the rear antenna is already present. The handles are different, and they are one piece. AlfaOBD settings changes will be the same.

Fishwiz

Reaction score
Does anyone have a security bypass module and bluetooth obd tool that I could rent/borrow?

I don't plan to do more modifications that require these tools (at least anytime soon) and if I could use these tools for a small fee and shipping, that could easily save me over $100.

If not, what's the best option to buy these. So far it looks like OBDlink mx+ ($100) and the kaodtech bypass for $55. Are there good cheaper options, and if so, what features would I give up with that cheaper option?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does anyone have a security bypass module and bluetooth obd tool that I could rent/borrow?

I don't plan to do more modifications that require these tools (at least anytime soon) and if I could use these tools for a small fee and shipping, that could easily save me over $100.

If not, what's the best option to buy these. So far it looks like OBDlink mx+ ($100) and the kaodtech bypass for $55. Are there good cheaper options, and if so, what features would I give up with that cheaper option?

I don’t think you need to use the obd link. There is a baxf obd that’s like $22.

Fishwiz

Reaction score
I don’t think you need to use the obd link. There is a baxf obd that’s like $22.
I love the idea of saving the money... But what features do you give up by going with the baxf obd?

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I love the idea of saving the money... But what features do you give up by going with the baxf obd?

You can’t use an iPhone with it. But then again you can’t use alfaobd on iOS. Otherwise I don’t know what other features you lose. This one still does the trick.

Fishwiz

Reaction score
You can’t use an iPhone with it. But then again you can’t use alfaobd on iOS. Otherwise I don’t know what other features you lose. This one still does the trick.
Awesome. Is the kaodtech the best/cheapest bypass kit too?

Fishwiz

Reaction score
Where are you located?
Located in MT.

But, if I take the advice and get the inexpensive OBD reader, it probably just makes sense for me to buy all the parts on my own... But what did you have in mind?

cpardue

Reaction score
Located in MT.

But, if I take the advice and get the inexpensive OBD reader, it probably just makes sense for me to buy all the parts on my own... But what did you have in mind?

If you were near me I would have been glad to do it for you.

Fishwiz

Reaction score
I finally ordered all of my parts! I hope to do the install in the next couple of weeks. One "final" question.... how likely is it that we will need extra/replacement clips? I ordered 2 of each type (4 replacement clips total) just to have them on hand... what's like likelihood that I'll need more? BTW, I also bought a trim tool kit that includes a pliers... I'm hoping that makes the job easier and with less chance of damage.

Scyllint

Reaction score
I cant seem to find body color door handles w/passive entry in olive green pearlcoat for my 2020 2500. Are they just not available because its not a "mainstream" color?
Going to try this mod either way but it would be nice to have matching handles.

davebalaj

Reaction score
Yes, I’ve determined what wiring is needed for the door handles on Heavy Duties, and have parts coming to start offering harnesses for the front doors. It would be impractical to swap in factory harnesses, because each door would require a new main harness AND an additional jumper harness for the handle. So far, everyone I’ve had look, the connector for the rear antenna is already present. The handles are different, and they are one piece. AlfaOBD settings changes will be the same.

Thanks a bunch for taking the time to help out the HD people...so you'll keep us posted when you have harnesses available? Will you be revising "How to" write up or perhaps adding an addendum for HD trucks?

Maccam26

Reaction score
Sucks that my built to serve has matte black plastic handles, if I do this, i'd have to choose a color door handle and replace all 4 door handles to match and it probably would still look awkward whatever color I choose (black most likely,,,)

Fishwiz

Reaction score
Have the handles painted or wrapped.

But with most of the BTS colors, I think the shiny black handles should look good.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks a bunch for taking the time to help out the HD people...so you'll keep us posted when you have harnesses available? Will you be revising "How to" write up or perhaps adding an addendum for HD trucks?
Yes, I’ll post here when I have some HD harnesses available. I’m not the OP of this thread, so I can’t edit/revise the original how to, but it’s going to be pretty straight forward installing the handles, and similar to the DTs, same basic steps- remove door panel, release window and tape it up, remove inner door card with latch, R&R door handle, and run the harness.
For the handle part numbers, best bet is to search autotrader nationwide for any 2013-2018 Ram/ 2019-2020 HD Ram that has passive entry with the same color handles you want, get the VIN from that listing, and call any parts department and they can tell you what part numbers the handles are that are used on that truck.

Moparian

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am getting ready to trade up to a Laramie so I will be selling my entire kit for a 2020 L2 Billet Silver Bighorn and it includes the rear antenna and Jimmy's harness for the rear antenna. New door harnesses and everything. I will post up in the buy/sell section if anybody is interested.

brdima

Reaction score
any folks in CT willing to help with the flashing and security bypass?

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score

There are still a few blank posts at the beginning that I’d be more than willing to add information to about the HD’s if someone can provide it. I have a co worker that was interested in doing this with his HD, but I’m not sure it will happen before he moves. As Jimmy07 mentioned, it should be pretty straightforward and share the same concept with the 1500’s.

Users who are viewing this thread