5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding Passive Entry: How-to

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Amazing write up. Now, if only there were a way to add it to the rear doors....

It can be done, just requires adding the wiring and running it to where it can tie in with the front doors. It's on my list to do, but haven't had the time and it's not that much of an inconvenience to make me prioritize it right now. If I get around to doing it before someone else does, I will add the information in one of the empty posts at the beginning of the thread.

2020Big4x4Horn

Reaction score
It can be done, just requires adding the wiring and running it to where it can tie in with the front doors. It's on my list to do, but haven't had the time and it's not that much of an inconvenience to make me prioritize it right now. If I get around to doing it before someone else does, I will add the information in one of the empty posts at the beginning of the thread.
Do any model rams come factory with 4 door?

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do any model rams come factory with 4 door?

Not that I am aware of. The handles are the same for all the doors though. The screw to release the rear handles is hidden behind a piece of molding.

2020Big4x4Horn

Reaction score
Not that I am aware of. The handles are the same for all the doors though. The screw to release the rear handles is hidden behind a piece of molding.
Yes I was thinking if there was, maybe the wiring was there like on the front connector and you could pin it in with the rear harness. I guess wiring would have to go down the B pillar, under the sill plate, the tie in behind the kick panels somehow.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If anyone needs a set of the three harnesses made by Jimmy let me know. I have a set for sale $85. Upgrading to a Laramie so no need anymore. Comment on my post in the for sale section. Thanks!

Spaz86

Reaction score
Forgive my ignorance as I am a new one here.
This is the Only place I found this information. Even the dealer told me it couldn't be done

Has anyone successfully done this in a 2020 Ram 1500 Bighorn?

Does the process get any easier because I already have keyless start?

Just looking to do the driver door.
Want to make sure I understand everything before I start digging

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Forgive my ignorance as I am a new one here.
This is the Only place I found this information. Even the dealer told me it couldn't be done

Has anyone successfully done this in a 2020 Ram 1500 Bighorn?

Does the process get any easier because I already have keyless start?

Just looking to do the driver door.
Want to make sure I understand everything before I start digging

I completed this and did the write-up using my 2020 Bighorn. It will function on the '19 and '20 5th gens if you follow the how-to.

Spaz86

Reaction score
Amazing thank you. I feel like it is so stupid that they don't add this into the vehicles when you spend 50 Grand.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Amazing thank you. I feel like it is so stupid that they don't add this into the vehicles when you spend 50 Grand.
I'm with you. I bought my 2019 shortly after they came out and didn't realize passive entry wasn't an option until after I had already made it home with it. For 50k it should be standard.

Spaz86

Reaction score
Anyone here done this live in the Las Vegas area?

I'm pretty handy with electronics and mechanics to an extent however I'm dyslexic so my reading skills aren't the best. I just don't want to screw anything up.

There are a few parts to this I'm not understanding and if somebody's willing to walk me through it or lives in Las Vegas area and is willing to help I'm more than happy to donate money for their time.

Jarodm06

Reaction score
Here are some part numbers to get people started. These should work on both 2019 and 2020 models. Harnesses are going to be more specific based on your options, or you can just add the 2 wires and plugs to your existing stuff and save a good bit of money.

Double check the description if you use these numbers to order stuff and make sure it's correct. If you find a mistake please let me know so I can correct it.

ColorBody Color HandleBody Color/Chrome HandleHandle Cap, LeftHandle Cap, Right
Bright White6CV64GW7AD6C4361W7AD6CV50GW7AC6CV52GW7AB
Ivory White6CV64KGZAD6CV361WDAD6CV50JWDAC6CV52JWDAB
Diamond Black Crystal6CV64KXJAD6CV361XJAD6CV50KXJAC6CV52KXJAB
Maximum Steel Metallic6CV64KARAD6CV361ARAD6CV50KARAC6CV52KARAB
Granite Crystal Metallic6CV64LAUAD6CV361AUAD6CV50LAUAC6CV52LAUAB
Billet Silver Metallic6CV64JSCAD6CV361SCAD6CV50JSCAC6CV52JSCAB
Patriot Blue Pearl6CV64RPXAD6CV361PXAD6CV50RPXAC6CV52RPXAB
Blue Streak Pearl6CV64KCLAD6CV361CLAD6CV50KCLAC6CV52KCLAB
Flame Red6CV64PR4AD6CV361R4AD6CV50PR4AC6CV52PR4AB

Replacement Clips

Door Interior Trim Panel Retainer (Yellow): 6510747AA

Door Interior Trim Panel Retainer (White): 6510359AA

Just to be clear on handle part numbers, for the diamond black crystal/chrome handles I would need 2 each of 6CV361XJAD and 1 each of 6CV50KXJAC and 6CV52KXJA?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Jarodm06

Reaction score
Just to be clear on handle part numbers, for the diamond black crystal/chrome handles I would need 2 each of 6CV361XJAD and 1 each of 6CV50KXJAC and 6CV52KXJA?

Sorry, I was looking at this on my phone and it wasn't clear. I can see now on pc which is which.

2020Big4x4Horn

Reaction score
Sorry, I was looking at this on my phone and it wasn't clear. I can see now on pc which is which.

Yep
4a05f5e0bed11e89267bd3f7ee807a0e.jpg

Spaz86

Reaction score
Are the antennas for the doors already in place?
So I would have to add the rear one?

What I was gathering from the post is that the rear one is not there unless you have remote entry for the tailgate... Is this correct or am I way off?

And the wires are connecting from the handle to the main harness ( ie door to truck) using @Jimmy07 connections?
With the exception of the rear one goes from antenna to harness?

I feel like I'm missing something and I read this thread 12 times

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Are the antennas for the doors already in place?
So I would have to add the rear one?

What I was gathering from the post is that the rear one is not there unless you have remote entry for the tailgate... Is this correct or am I way off?

And the wires are connecting from the handle to the main harness ( ie door to truck) using @Jimmy07 connections?
With the exception of the rear one goes from antenna to harness?

I feel like I'm missing something and I read this thread 12 times

If your truck has push button start and remote start then you have all the antennas (4) in the cab. There is one in each rear door, one behind the rear seat, and one under the center console. The only antenna not present is the one behind the rear bumper which allows passive entry to the tailgate while the cab remains locked. Jimmy07 can make the harnesses for the doors as well as the rear antenna.

Spaz86

Reaction score
Do you recommend a certain OBD fob?

Spaz86

Reaction score
I can confirm it works as well. I installed the rear antenna, too. AlphaOBD is a little different for the windows version. I only had to change like 4 settings. In order to the change to take effect. I had to disconnect the battery for 15 minutes. Ignition cycling did not work. As soon as I reconnected the battery the handles starting working and function properly.
Also, I have nav and it hasn't shown up in Uconnect. However, the door handles, antenna, locks are all working correctly. Thanks for everyone keeping at it. I literally went to the dealer a few months back and was ready to trade it in after coming from a 2017 Limited. I've said if I can get this function back I would love my truck again.
It was also a lot of fun, I'm an engineer, building the harness for the rear and antenna and buying a few new tools to get the job done.

A couple of pointers. I started on the left door. it took twice as long to do as the right door as I knew what to expect.
The main harness connected to the cab. As the guide says look at the harness to see, where to close the clips to get them to release. Use a curved point or hook to get the far side bottom clip to depress it to release.

The two hidden bolts. I was really worried about being able to line these back up again when putting it back together. I suggest you use a small rachet to get these out. Also, there is a little give that you can pull the speaker side out a bit to reach these and see where they need to go. This is especially important when trying to put it back together. Do not forget to put these back before mounting the case to the door. You'll get annoyed with yourself after realizing you forgot to do this three bolts in. NO experience here!

The clip under the door handle is what I struggle with the most and then figuring out if the wire goes infront of the door lock cable. The right door I did a much better job of routing wiring and hooking it in factory slots. I may have to go into the left door again to clean it up.

The rear Antenna I used the factory holes and a oversized bolt that threaded the tab on the antenna to mount it.

Windows version of AlphaOBD. As part of this project I had to invest in everything, from OBD, to SGW, to OBDlink.
It took be a few mintues to figure out how to make sure the OBD link was configured properly in the advance settings. Then how to access the BCM and start the configuration change. It's different than the write up.

did everything go back to normal? did your nav come back??

Thanks man. I’ll check on it in the morning!
Did everything go back to normal?

Last edited:

Wedgeajt

Reaction score
SUCCESS! 2019 Big Horn. Like someone else said, I almost traded in for a limited due to the lack of feature. Thanks to all the people who made this possible. Took a little longer than I thought, but totally worth it. I used the KaodTech SGW bypass, which worked flawlessly. Just a pain in the butt to get out...ugh. Also added the rear antenna and just zip tied it into place.

Users who are viewing this thread