5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding Passive Entry: How-to

manboy187

Reaction score
I must be missing something.. before I purchase all of the handles /caps and wire harnesses for passive entry. I want to make sure it's going to work before I get to a price of no return.

I purchased alfaobd, obdlink mx+, and the bypass cable from kaodtech. as a test, before spending more I tried to turn on global down and. nothing works. I even reset my settings. unplugged the battery for 5 mins and turned global back off and on.
I have a 2020 bighorn/longhorn with a 12-inch display

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I must be missing something.. before I purchase all of the handles /caps and wire harnesses for passive entry. I want to make sure it's going to work before I get to a price of no return.

I purchased alfaobd, obdlink mx+, and the bypass cable from kaodtech. as a test, before spending more I tried to turn on global down and. nothing works. I even reset my settings. unplugged the battery for 5 mins and turned global back off and on.
I have a 2020 bighorn/longhorn with a 12-inch display
I don’t believe global down works on 5th gens, and it is hit or miss on the 4th gens. Try something simple that is known for sure to work. If you have mirror turn signals, disable those. But, if AlfaOBD is connecting, and you can change that setting to yes or no, then it’s working.

manboy187

Reaction score
proof that it works is I can spray the windshield fluid from my phone. thanks for the input. I will be contacting you shortly for the harnesses

Fishwiz

Reaction score
I've tried to read through the thread, but I might have missed this. If that's the case, I apologise.

What is the total cost to add this passive entry? If it matters, I have a BTS BigHorn that has the matte black door handles... I assume I'll need to buy a full set of color matched handles.

Also, is it possible to change only the driver's door handle and have passive entry only at that door?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Rhombus

Reaction score
All those answers ARE in this thread. Assume about $400 if you buy all the cables new, handles, rear antenna, plus Alpha ODB to re-program. Yes, you can do just the drivers' door, but there is a risk you could lock your fob in the truck. And you have to push the lock button from the outside of the handle, inside won't work. If you do both front handles AND the rear antenna, plus re-program, everything works as factory. You can do this cheaper by just buying the patch cables from folks on this forum, also in this thread. The instructions for both the wiring and the reprogramming are in this thread and I can attest that if you follow them, this upgrade DOES work. Thanks.

Moparian

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've tried to read through the thread, but I might have missed this. If that's the case, I apologise.

What is the total cost to add this passive entry? If it matters, I have a BTS BigHorn that has the matte black door handles... I assume I'll need to buy a full set of color matched handles.

Also, is it possible to change only the driver's door handle and have passive entry only at that door?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Lucky for you Patriot Blue is a standard color so you can get body colored handles with the proximity pads. People that have the special colors(Gator and Ceramic) are kinda SOL. I’m pretty sure I have some vinyl that will match Ceramic but if not I’ll just wrap the billet silver ones I already have matte black

2020Big4x4Horn

Reaction score
Success! Everything works, thanks Jimmy for the wiring help earlier.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

2020Big4x4Horn

Reaction score
Isn't there a setting that will automatically lock the door if you walk away?

2020Big4x4Horn

Reaction score
Maybe I missed the part number in the original post...need some door panel fasteners. Even the ones that didn't break dont fit in tight anymore at the bottom.

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Maybe I missed the part number in the original post...need some door panel fasteners. Even the ones that didn't break dont fit in tight anymore at the bottom.

I thought I had posted the part numbers somewhere. If someone doesn’t chime in soon I will get them up later, I’ve got them on my computer.

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You did. He’s wanting door pin fasteners

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I have those part numbers, I thought I posted them but perhaps I didn’t. There’s 2 different part numbers depending on where around the door they are. I’ll get them up a little later this evening.

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Here are the part numbers for the door panel retainers. I will also add them to one of the posts towards the beginning.

Door Interior Trim Panel Retainer (Yellow): 6510747AA

Door Interior Trim Panel Retainer (White): 6510359AA

e55amg2

Reaction score
Amazing write up. Now, if only there were a way to add it to the rear doors....

Rhombus

Reaction score
Amazing write up. Now, if only there were a way to add it to the rear doors....
Not sure why you would want that. I’ve never had a vehicle with passive entry on all 4 doors, always the front doors only. Just set it to where when you unlock the front, everything unlocks.

2020Big4x4Horn

Reaction score
Not sure why you would want that. I’ve never had a vehicle with passive entry on all 4 doors, always the front doors only. Just set it to where when you unlock the front, everything unlocks.
I could see it coming in handy. For instance the first thing I do leaving work is put my bag in the rear floor before I get in. So have to walk to the front door and touch it, go back to the back and then open. Wouldn't be worth the additional cost to have rears though imo.

Users who are viewing this thread