5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding Passive Entry: How-to

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just called the on my order to ensure we were all good. They helped me edit the order and I received the parts efficiently. I’d call. Again, they were quite helpful.
Interestingly enough I tried calling and got ran through their phone system and no answer. Sent another email and apparently they lost one of the door handle caps in transit and are waiting to get that in stock then will send the order out.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Went to dealer and they said it’s my door module showing off line or something going at 2pm to confirm it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you look at the connectors plugged into your driver door module, the bottom two connectors on the left side are white and blue. The blue one contains LIN Bus, and the white one contains CAN Bus wires. If the door module is off line, it would be one of those two connectors possibly not seated all the way/disconnected. Can you connect to the driver door module with AlfaOBD, or does it go through 3 CAN attempts and fail?

busa2009

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did you figure out the issue yet?

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Well sitting here at dealer and they said no communication with the module or my radio(which I added the 12 inch from the non nav 8.4) wow. I don’t know what could have went wrong but they are saying it may be a wiring issue that they need to keep it but I can’t let them keep it today

busa2009

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you look at the connectors plugged into your driver door module, the bottom two connectors on the left side are white and blue. The blue one contains LIN Bus, and the white one contains CAN Bus wires. If the door module is off line, it would be one of those two connectors possibly not seated all the way/disconnected. Can you connect to the driver door module with AlfaOBD, or does it go through 3 CAN attempts and fail?

Well sitting here at dealer and they said no communication with the new module or my radio(which I added the 12 inch from the non nav 8.4) wow. I don’t know what could have went wrong but they are saying it may be a wiring issue that they need to keep it but I can’t let them keep it today. Also they are saying they can’t program my new key fob because of this. I’m not for sure what to think

busa2009

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Can you give me a walk through on how to do it through alpha obd

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Can you give me a walk through on how to do it through alpha obd

Instead of connecting to the body computer from the list of modules, choose driver door and try connecting to it.

busa2009

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Instead of connecting to the body computer from the list of modules, choose driver door and try connecting to it.

c3cfbbd755349ba28bdb22720ec0100d.jpg

I’m assuming the first option

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This is what I’m getting
f7af617db4a8a7303241bbb2326bd175.jpg

Somewhere, from the star CAN IHS junction block the door module, the can bus wires are not connected. It’s either at the junction block itself (driver side footwell area), door to cab connector, or the white 5 pin connector at the driver door module.

busa2009

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Somewhere, from the star CAN IHS junction block the door module, the can bus wires are not connected. It’s either at the junction block itself (driver side footwell area), door to cab connector, or the white 5 pin connector at the driver door module.

Is there a way to to tap or meter the wires from the connector going into module and then he door jam harness of body

busa2009

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Bingo you were right just went through every pin checking continuity it was the brown wire in the white 5 pin now I just don’thave enough room to seat it the wire bends when pushing it through
1fe9051d3f7bf58dc37c718f02d875a2.jpg

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Bingo you were right just went through every pin checking continuity it was the brown wire in the white 5 pin now I just don’thave enough room to seat it the wire bends when pushing it through
1fe9051d3f7bf58dc37c718f02d875a2.jpg

If I’m seeing the picture correctly, it looks like the can wire came loose in the body side of the door connector...is that correct?

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Bingo from me pulling incorrectly to get it lose

Were you able to get the terminal to seat back in the connector? If it isn’t going in easily try rotating it. They should go in without much effort and will only lock in place one way.

busa2009

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Were you able to get the terminal to seat back in the connector? If it isn’t going in easily try rotating it. They should go in without much effort and will only lock in place one way.

I did I had to bend the locking tab down to hook on terminal. But I’m looking for an extra harness housing because if I have to take that back out it won’t stay in. Good thing I’m up and running perfectly Now all I need is my new tailgate fob programmed

Apexbasher

Reaction score
Finally back from some extended work travel and am excited to see this new thread on the Passive Entry issue! Thankyou MayhemMOORE(y) for your work, as well as all the good folks who have added their hints and advice throughout the last 10 pages. Parts are now ordered and will be here next week, and harnesses will be coming from Jimmy07 (Thank YOU as well(y)).

2020Big4x4Horn

Reaction score
Got all my parts in finally. Will be tackling next weekend probably.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Apexbasher

Reaction score
Just a reminder: Anyone in the greater Jacksonville, FL area that doesnt want to purchase all the stuff to do the programming just message me and we can meet up to get-'er-dun!

My parts aren't here yet, but I got so excited at the prospect of finally having Passive Entry that I went out a programmed the BCM already:geek:

Moparian

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just a reminder: Anyone in the greater Jacksonville, FL area that doesnt want to purchase all the stuff to do the programming just message me and we can meet up to get-'er-dun!

My parts aren't here yet, but I got so excited at the prospect of finally having Passive Entry that I went out a programmed the BCM already:geek:
I also have the equipment to program in the Jax area but Apex might have more availability than me lol.

Users who are viewing this thread