5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding Passive Entry: How-to

troutman34

Reaction score
I started adding passive entry on my 2020 tradesman 2500 ram today. I started on the passenger side of the truck and everything seemed to go easily, following the instruction posted. I used a to me together fairly well. I put everything thing together and tried to roll window back up and got nothing, tried starting vehicle to see if that would change anything. Still no response. I checked door lock and it responds but window won't. Before I move to the driver side has anyone ran into this issue? I was wondering if it was because I haven't finished programming the passive entry? Also, I am using a nismopar kit, so harnesses were plug and play.

troutman34

Reaction score
I started adding passive entry on my 2020 tradesman 2500 ram today. I started on the passenger side of the truck and everything seemed to go easily, following the instruction posted. I used a to me together fairly well. I put everything thing together and tried to roll window back up and got nothing, tried starting vehicle to see if that would change anything. Still no response. I checked door lock and it responds but window won't. Before I move to the driver side has anyone ran into this issue? I was wondering if it was because I haven't finished programming the passive entry? Also, I am using a nismopar kit, so harnesses were plug and play.
After a little work on tracking down the issue I am happy to report the window issue was solved. i discovered that the window motor was defective and so a new one is on order. The rest of the passive entry install went well, thanks to the great instructions left on this forum! Thanks everyone for your sound advice and very detailed instructions.

troutman34

Reaction score
Anyone have problems with rear window not working off of driver master controller, after installing passive entry? The passenger side window will roll down from driver side master controller but won't go back up. The rear passenger window will work fine from rear door controller but not from the driver side master controller? I thought it was the master switch but after trying a new one it still doesn't work properly. I wondering if it would be something I missed from programming the vehicle?

J-barcarp

54 year old teenager
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Tried swapping the tailgate handle from painted non passive to chrome passive….
The camera and mount plate is different!!!
I dont have the correct camera….so the whole day is shot. Gotta put it all back together and wait for a camera delivery.

ARGH!!!

Or maybe i can print an adapter…..hmmmm

3d printer to the rescue!!

10 min of cad…..and 15 printed iterations….
Total of about 2 hours design time figuring out the shapes and how they interface with the bracket…

Problem solved…

Attachments

• IMG_4123.jpeg
    IMG_4123.jpeg
    131.9 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_4142.jpeg
    IMG_4142.jpeg
    88.9 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_4143.jpeg
    IMG_4143.jpeg
    79.5 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:

Scyllint

Reaction score
You can remove it without reversing anything.
If you plan on doing more alfa obd work you can leave it in. It's sometimes a pain in the *** to remove depending on what cable you have.

Brunzca

Reaction score
Related question.. 22 Laramie. I’m trying to get the carrier panel off for sound deadening, but after following the steps in the video, I cannot get the drivers side window to release from the mechanism, I’ve loosened (actually went as far as removing) the 2 bolts at the bottom under the covers, but can’t get the glass loose to tape up. I’ve tried it on two separate occasions now, but it will not come loose. I followed the exact same process with a 21 bighorn, and had no issues. Any suggestions?

Kamisama

Reaction score
If you've seen the original thread on adding passive entry, HERE, you are likely well aware of the issues with getting it to work on the newer trucks that didn’t come with it from the factory. This thread will walk you through getting it to work on the 5th gen DT’s (and the HD trucks) just as it does in a factory-equipped truck, without requiring a visit to the dealer or the addition of the sales code to your VIN.

The success of this has been a collective effort with contributions from many individuals and they all deserve thanks since a lot of time and effort went in to laying the groundwork for this, both on the 4th gens and the new 5th gens, as well as helping test and troubleshoot to make sure all aspects of the system functioned correctly before pushing this out.

Standard disclaimer…If you are going to do this yourself, you are assuming all responsibility in the event something breaks or goes wrong. Also, any parts you add related to this are likely not going to be covered under warranty in the event there is a problem down the road. That being said, the whole process is fairly straightforward if you have basic mechanical abilities and a little patience for dealing with the door panels and wiring. Just be careful and take your time.

Clicking links below will take you directly to the specific posts indicated:

Post #1: Basic list of parts/tools required
Post #2: Door panel and handle removal
Post #3: Carrier plate removal
Post #4: Making the BCM changes in AlfaOBD
Post #5: 2019 & 2020 Rear Antenna
Post #6: 2021 Rear Antenna
Post #7: Part numbers for handles, caps, clips, terminals & connector housings
Post #8: DIY Harnesses
Post #9: How-to for the HD trucks
Post #10: HD install continued

The following lists out what you will need to get this accomplished on a 1500. The HD trucks utilize a one piece handle and already have the wiring in place for the rear antenna. Specific part numbers are listed in post #7, and I will update the list with additional items as needed.

Factory PE Parts
- Door handles for proximity entry x2 (handles are the same on both sides on the 1500)
- Door Handle Cap, Right (specific to each side and passive entry as there is a magnet inside)
- Door Handle Cap, Left (specific to each side and passive entry as there is a magnet inside)
- Front Door Wiring, Right (must support passive entry, or you can just add the 2 wires needed utilizing info in this thread)
- Front Door Wiring, Left (must support passive entry, or you can just add the 2 wires needed utilizing info in this thread)
- Rear bumper passive entry antenna (The cheaper $8 antenna has been proven to work)
- Rear Bumper wiring harness (must support passive entry, or you can just add the 2 wires needed utilizing info in this thread)

AlfaOBD
- Android tablet or Windows PC
- AlfaOBD software for your tablet or PC
- OBD interface (MX/MX+ is used by many, but there are cheaper options that work)
- Security Gateway (SGW) bypass

Tools:
- Trim tools (not 100% necessary, but well worth it to not damage panels and/or clips. Plenty of options online or at most local parts stores)
- The elusive 10mm socket and your choice of ratchet/driver (a short extension will be handy also)
- 6mm socket for speakers (5mm for the HD)
- T20 torx for the HD panels
- T25 torx for the 1500 door handle cap (needs to be long enough to reach inside the hole in the door, about 4". May also be able to use a small flathead for this)
- T27 torx for the door latch
- Small flathead screwdriver (1/8)
- Needle nose pliers
- Tape (for holding up the window once it’s unbolted. Decide what you feel comfortable using)

Important note: Passive entry will function with the addition of just the driver’s side handle (only activating from that handle obviously) and the settings configured in the BCM. However, if you choose to not add all pieces, fobik safe will not function as intended and it will trigger fault codes in the RF Hub. This means that there is a slight chance you could induce a condition that would allow the fob to be locked in the vehicle and will not be alerted. If you install both handles, and the 5th antenna, everything functions as intended and you will get an alert should you accidentally leave a fob inside the cab and attempt to lock the doors.
Will this work on my 2023 1500 BigHorn?

Kamisama

Reaction score
I have been able to locate all of the parts I need but the parts I need to program. Could you provide me with a link to what I need to do the programming?

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have been able to locate all of the parts I need but the parts I need to program. Could you provide me with a link to what I need to do the programming?
Did you read the first post? You need AlfaOBD to program. You can search on here for everything you need to do it, but you need that software, a security by-pass cable, and a ODB reader. Plenty of posts explaining what you need and how to use it.

Kamisama

Reaction score
Did you read the first post? You need AlfaOBD to program. You can search on here for everything you need to do it, but you need that software, a security by-pass cable, and a ODB reader. Plenty of posts explaining what you need and how to use it.
Yes I have, I just wanted to make sure I get the right cable and ODB reader.

Tango51

Reaction score
Thank you to the OP I followed your instructions on the programming and I now have passive entry on my Big Horn. I did not do the installation it was done at the dealership before I purchased it they just could not program it. Thank You again...

Kamisama

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone involved in the instructions and tips of adding passive entry. I just completed the project on my 2023 Ram 1500 Bighorn and everything is currently working flawlessly. Thanks to Jimmy for the wire harnesses, to anyone looking to do this, his harnesses are PERFECT! I found that the most difficult part of this project was putting the factory harnesses from the door to the Truck with the boot covering the harness. After I allowed the frustrations to clear I was finally able to do it. Again, thanks to everyone!

c43amg1998

Reaction score
I've had the retrofit for about 2 moths in my TRX now, did anybody come across the issue that on the same vehicle side only the handle last used works on the first touch? Much like onle one handle is accepted by the system and it switches over each time you use the other handle. The handle not used before always needs a touch of the button/handle and then only works on the secont touch.

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've had the retrofit for about 2 moths in my TRX now, did anybody come across the issue that on the same vehicle side only the handle last used works on the first touch? Much like onle one handle is accepted by the system and it switches over each time you use the other handle. The handle not used before always needs a touch of the button/handle and then only works on the secont touch.
Same vehicle side? As in you have passive on the front and rear doors and the last handle you grab on that side is the only one recognized until you grab the other multiple attempts? Not sure I fully understand your described situation, but I have not experienced any problem whatsoever. With any of the system.

I have passive entry on all four doors, and as long as the key fob is physically on me, every door works on the first pull.

fulbuyer

Reaction score
I did the hardware modifications a few weeks back and finally programmed it today. Used Jimmy's harness as well. I have passive entry! Thank you OP and everyone contributing to this thread!!! My 2020 Big Horn is pretty close to what I want in a truck now!

Dyeelitt

Reaction score
I hate to ask but has anyone added rear door passive entry to a truck that has passive entry? I’m considering doing this nut not sure what’s entailed.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I hate to ask but has anyone added rear door passive entry to a truck that has passive entry? I’m considering doing this nut not sure what’s entailed.
Yes, read above. It's all been done and the information is in this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread